Newark to Manhattan

knarf

Hi Carol, njhorseman and other teriffic helpers..

I am staying at the Newark Hilton Penn Station 1048 Raymond Blvd. On Saturday morning, I was going to take the NJ transit to Penn Station NYC then take Subway 1 to 42nd Street and either catch the M42 bus or walk to Circle Line Tours(West 42 and 12 Ave) But after looking at a couple of sights(NJ Transit and Hopstop.com) it looks like I can take bus 108 from very near the Hilton(Newark) to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan(42 and 9th) and then walk 2 blocks to Circle line Both ways take about an hour, but the bus seems easier with no stops or transfers. Am I not seeing something ? Your thoughts please.

Frank

You can take the bus if you like. Personally, I'm not a big fan of NJ Transit bus service...I've been stuck too many times in traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel, so when I have a choice I take the train instead...but that's just my preference.

If you need it, here's a link to the full schedule for that route:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0108.pdf

knarf ~

I'm with njhorseman on this, partly for the very reason he cited.

On top of that, the train will give you far more options. There are several trains an hour, morning, noon and night--if you miss one, another one will be along 15 minutes later or so, whereas there's only one bus per hour.

There's no guarantee you'll get a seat on the bus. And although the bus timetable shows only one stop en route to NYC, there may well be more stops. (I'm not familiar with the #108; it might make limited stops; but as a rule, NJ Transit bus timetables don't show every stop, just "time checkpoints".) And getting through the Lincoln Tunnel can be a nightmare.

In short: For speed, comfort, and convenience, I'd take the train every time.

Incidentally, it's just over a mile from New York Penn Station to the Circle Line pier--not an arduous walk if you're reasonably fit.

I too would echo and suggest NJ Transit. In the unlikely event of a problem PATH cross honors NJT tickets.

Believe it or not there is a YouTube video of the 108 bus (if you can believe the poster) and it looks like it is NOT a long distance bus but a local city bus.

FWIW

Thank you so much for the feedback. We will probably now take the NJ transit.

Thanks again.

Frank

Sorry I ment the train into Manhattan.:)

Thanks all for your help.

Hi Carol !!:)

Frank

Archived