National Express from LHR to Southampton

We flew into Heathrom, arriving on our departure day and took National Express to Southampton and it couldn't have been easier. We bought a reserved space online before we left. $48 for two. You just collect your bags and walk to the central bus terminal. The baggage trolleys are free and though you may have to wait a bit depending on the timing of your arrival, it's still easier and cheaper than the ship's shuttle. Yes, you have to deal with your own luggage, but you don't have to deal with being pushed around like cattle with 75 other cruise guests.

http://www.nationalexpress.com

The people who took Princess Shuttle got there much later than us and had horror stories at the disorganization. Our flight got in at 7, we took the 9:45 bus and arrived by 11:40. The people who were in line with us at immigration and took the ship's shuttle didn't arrive at the terminal until 2:30 or so. The people who took the train got there very late as there was some sort of a break down and they had to change trains several times. (with all their luggage) Maybe it was the luck of the draw, but we definitely made the right choice.

There is also a National Express bus from Central London and they have "fun fares" which start at 1 pound each way. Definitely worth checking out.

When you arrive at the bus station in Southampton, everyone takes a number and they will call the cabs for you. It only took about 4-5 minutes and then it's a quick ride to the terminal. It was about 5-7 pounds.

You are such a wonderful source of information!! We will be going from Heathrow to Dover. I have a few questions:

Someone said we need a coin (pound) to secure a trolley....true?

We arrive at terminal 4. Is that near the bus? When we arrive at Victoria Cross Station, will it be difficult to go from bus to bus (i.e. stairs?)

Is there a limit on the number of suitcases? We have 2 large and 1 smaller.

How far in advance did you have to reserve on line? Can we do it one week in advance?

Thank you for answering all of our questions.

A friend may pick us up. If not, we were considering private transport to save the hassle....but if the bus is not too difficult, we can save our hard-earned money!!!!

I don't believe we needed anything for the trolley.

We took National Express directly from Heathrow to SOuthampton, we were arriving the same day so we didn't need to go to London first. There was some walking to the central bus terminal, but there was an elevator up to bus loading area. I don't know about Victoria.

IF you check their website, they do say you have a limit on luggage IF there's no space, but our bus was pretty full and we had LOTS of luggage. We had two very large bags, a hanging suit bag and some carryons and it was no problem.

We reserved a month or two in advance... They send you a confirmation that you print out and show to the driver. As long as there's space, I don't think there's a time to early or late.

It was VERY easy to do...

• 1 month later...

Tikiman - You have answered so many questions I had regarding National Express! Thank you so much :)

One more question though! :D

How did you know what time to book your bus transfer not knowing for sure how long it would take you to get through customs etc. Similar situation would apply for wanting to reserve bus from cruise ship to airport. How much time to allow...

How did you know what time to book your bus transfer not knowing for sure how long it would take you to get through customs etc. Similar situation would apply for wanting to reserve bus from cruise ship to airport. How much time to allow...
For the trip from the airport, you should be aware that the National Express website has some specific advice about this, although you'll also be interested in what people who've actually done it have to say as well.

Globilizer, you are a wealth of information and I do have a few questions..perhaps you can enlighten me! We are going to flying into Heathrow next summer July1,2006.We are returning to the airport directly after the cruise on July15,2006. We are going directly to and from our ship...the Constellation. We will hve 4 suitcases. Is it feasible to use National Express? Once in Dover, where do they drop you off? Is it a long walk to the ship? I tried to contact them and they E mailed me that it is too early to book yet. Do you know when I will be able to do this? The cost of private transfers are astronomical..over 140 GBP. I was thinking of the cruise transfers, because we are doing our own air. Do you have any suggestions for me? We used private transfers in Rome this summer,howver they were not as expensive!

Karen

We will hve 4 suitcases. Is it feasible to use National Express? Once in Dover, where do they drop you off? Is it a long walk to the ship? I tried to contact them and they E mailed me that it is too early to book yet. Do you know when I will be able to do this?
First, luggage. The baggage allowance is "a maximum of two medium sized suitcases weighing no more than 20kg each and one piece of hand luggage". Can you manage that?

Second, you are probably already aware that there is no direct service from Heathrow to Dover. You have to go to Victoria coach station and change there.

When you get to Dover, you will probably need to take a taxi to get to the ship. This is the approximate location of the main bus station in Dover, but it looks like some of the coaches stop at the ferry docks and the hoverport. I don't know whether either of them might be closer to where your ship will be.

I don't know when booking will open for your trip, but they seem to be taking bookings only to 5 March 2006 at the moment. That's the limit of the timetable validity.

:) Great info, Tikiman. We were planning to take the train and transfer in London to Southampton but this bus routing is much better. Only have to haul around the luggage once and we avoid wandering around aimlessly through Waterloo Station. The link to National Express is extremely helpful, too. Thanks again.

Globalizer... I think the luggage requirement will do me in! Actually I found a private taxi that will be affordable for me...and more time efficient. I am arriving on the morning of the cruise and will want to get there in the most time efficent way! I truly appriecate your efforts on my behalf!

Archived