Oh,oh.. Turkey warnings.

C 2 C

I am anxiously waiting for Celebrity to post 2015 Sept & Oct Med cruises because I so much want to experience Turkey.

As an American I think we just need to practice common sense wherever we go, including anywhere in the USA. When in other countries be low key, do not advertise that you are from the US and make yourself a target.

There was a time when I loved driving into Mexico for a day trip shopping, have lunch etc. Now there is no way I would even consider that.

We have had some wonderful cruising, touring, and driving vacations in Turkey and Greece over the past several years. They are both well up there on our favourite vacation venues.

Never had a problem. In fact, we have been able to score some great travel bargains because of the uncertainly. We have found the people to be very welcoming and accommodating.

We actually feel more at personal risk in some of the US cities than we do in most places in Greece or Turkey.

That is what people thought about Boston until the marathon bombing. I don't think we can rely on anywhere being "very safe" these days.

So, are you now afraid to visit Boston? Probably not. Yes, things can happen anywhere without warnings, from bee stings to terrorist attacks. The odds are well in your favor none of those will happen, and the chance is your choice to risk, or not.

While there is no such thing as 100% safety anywhere, why put yourself in an area where YOU, as Americans, are despised and hated?

There are very few places Americans as people are "despised and hated", and I doubt any of us are headed to any of those - certainly not Turkey or Greece. I've never been mistreated anywhere by anyone because I was an American. Not even in Paris! Smile, treat people kindly, and learn to say at least "thank you" in their language...works wonders. BTW: Turkey is a NATO ally of ours.

We are not American but we have met many Americans in out of the way places where we have traveled.

We have never been anywhere where Americans were disliked, hated, resented, etc. And we are often mistaken for Americans.

Go to Turkey. You will have a great time. The Turks are hospitable and very welcoming. Don't be misled by the fear mongering. We have travelled in Turkey during each of the past two years and may be going again this month if the stars align, ie if we can get the right deal on air and a vacation-cruise or otherwise.

Tourism is down due in part to misinformed TA's hence there are some very attractive travel offers at the moment.

Here's a view from Europe, where many of us were already watching out for terrorism issues in the days when too many folks across the water were still back slapping Noraid.........

Turkey borders Syria. The capital and the resorts are a good distance away. In the current climate there's not much chance of Assad firing missiles north. However, they are overdue for a massive earthquake which could decimate Istanbul and tear it's new underwater traffic tunnel in half. Yikes! At a slightly less threatening level, you might like to know that some of the toilets can be a bit disconcerting.

Egypt is a complete and utter mess, no-one in their right mind would go near Cairo or the pyramids. But the sun and sand resorts like Sharm-el-Sheik are far to the south, they serve alcohol and realise that without tourists they would all be out in the fields behind a donkey. Much of North Africa - the same. No-one is docking cruise ships in Tripoli or anywhere else dodgy.

In Europe, Spain has lots of public issues and the Catalans are agitating for separatism. Last week they all held hands across the old border of 300 years ago. Italy - about to fall into political chas, just like the old days.

Personally, I would be much more wary about taking a cruise starting or ending in Athens, where the economic problems has them on strike all the time. You can find minor versions of the same thing popping up in France and some other places.

Think of it like this. In the US, the government shutdown might cause a whole lot of pain if it persists or if you happen to need a particular sevice. But is it a reason for anyone to be wary about taking a holiday there? Like Iancal, looking at it logically and based on the statistics, I see the US as a more dangerous place to visit. But it won't stop me.

My husband was extremely concerned about traveling to Turkey on our 9/12 cruise. I reminded him that we live in NY. We are sitting ducks for another terrorist attack. We can't stop living.

I would rather take the risk than play it safe and never experience the wonders of other cultures. Don't get me wrong..at this point I won't travel to Egypt but I hope that things improve to the point that I feel somewhat safe making the trek to see the pyramids.

I would rather die on an adventure than sitting home on my couch.

looking at it logically and based on the statistics, I see the US as a more dangerous place to visit. But it won't stop me.

We're avoiding the US for the first 61 days... of our Odyssey.. That should be enough time for some semblance of rationality to reappear prior to our flight home.

Syria now appears less of a problem than a month ago; Greeks have been unable to agree for the last 2,500 years and the port is easily bypassed. The ports are no longer relevant now that we have our beverage package and some wonderful cabins.

Archived