Royal Princess Premium Suites - Balcony Locked?

The4OfUs

Hi all

Have a cabin held, and about to put down a deposit for the Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean cruise - Cabin B102. I came here to research dining options, and stumbled across a thread talking about how Premium Suites on other Princess ships often have to have their balcony door locked while at sea, due to wind.

I wondered if anyone out there had any first hand knowledge of how it is on the Royal? Given that we are at the front of the ship, I'm sure it's windy, but the balcony does not face forward, instead it's overlooking the side of the ship, so I'm HOPING that the locked door is not required on this one - and I'm trying to find out before I put a deposit down.

Thanks for any insights!!

I have been on 4 Princess ships in PH Suites and never had locked balcony doors. They are manually locked by you if needed. Three on the side of the ship and one on the rear of the ship. These next two are on the rear of the ship and there is NO wind. The one's on the side do not have much wind as the dividers between suites break up the wind. YMMV but I have seen it as much to do about nothing.

I would double check on this particular suite before booking it, as the deck plan shows the door to be toward the bow of the ship and from what I've read, it is those rooms that get locked while the ship is underway. Perhaps there is some windbreak that I don't see that would make locking unnecessary, but I don't see it.

I believe the only ones that are restricted on the Royal are the completely forward facing premium mini-suites and deluxe balconies on the Marina and Lido deck.

Yes, not very many of them, maybe 8. It does state that in red when you look at the details of the cabins on the deck plans shown on the website.

We have that category booked for a coming cruise, and are hoping for a cabin on the lower deck and on the side, or better yet, a visit from the upgrade fairy;).

Yes, not very many of them, maybe 8. It does state that in red when you look at the details of the cabins on the deck plans shown on the website.

We have that category booked for a coming cruise, and are hoping for a cabin on the lower deck and on the side, or better yet, a visit from the upgrade fairy;).

I've read (from people staying in these cabins) that M107/08 and L107/08 are NOT locked while at sea.

I've read (from people staying in these cabins) that M107/08 and L107/08 are NOT locked while at sea.

Right. Different category. Different location of the door is what I was told. It doesn't say they are locked on the deck plans. Love those new deck plans.

Edited by sssteele

• 2 months later...
Right. Different category. Different location of the door is what I was told. It doesn't say they are locked on the deck plans. Love those new deck plans.

Hi, I have booked L108 for June next year. The Princess site today is now showing that these cabins also have restricted access while at sea. This is different to the information printed on my booking confirmation. I have sent Princess an email asking for clarification as access to the balcony is very important to me on a cruise. I will post once I have received a reply from Princess. Anne

Hi, Princess has confirmed that these cabins may have limited access in rough weather as opposed to the forward facing cabins which have no balcony access on sea days. Works for me. I wouldn't want to go on the balcony in rough weather anyway!

Hi, Princess has confirmed that these cabins may have limited access in rough weather as opposed to the forward facing cabins which have no balcony access on sea days. Works for me. I wouldn't want to go on the balcony in rough weather anyway!

That makes sense and sounds reasonable. Good to know - thanks!