Charleston Port Case Update

wmjrdn4ever

But, yeah, for a town that has ALWAYS been a port city, the resistance is just a bit over-the-top.

Personally, I don't believe the resistance is against the cruise industry, but against Carnival in particular. They never had an issue when Celebrity and NCL used to sail from there. But with Carnival, it's a completely different ballgame.

The last time I visited Charleston, several of the "anti-cruising" posters show the Carnival whale-tail. Although I'm fully aware that the Fantasy is the current resident cruise line, I think that if these conservationists were serious about banning all cruise lines, they wouldn't make posters specifically with a Carnival whale-tail.

Well, great. My 3 closest ports of call are Mobile, Charleston, and Jacksonville.

• Mobile is gone.
  • Charleston is fighting for its life.
  • Jacksonville has an ongoing battle as well.

Oh well...:rolleyes:

I don't think Carnival is leaving anytime soon.. The fight is more about the new Terminal that would allow in the future bigger, ie longer, ships to dock downtown. There is a separate fight about ships period downtown but I doubt that will go far as it's been a port for quite some time. As for passenger ships the people downtown seem to forget that all kinds of navy vessels used to dock right downtown for years. The Famous Fleet Landings restaurant is so named because it was where the navy had ALL crew go thru prior to letting them loose on the town. It had a brig, was used to fix up broken bones/busted heads/etc. Thousands of crew would stream thru the complex to end up at all kinds of bars and strip joints lining what is now upscale hotels and shops. Not more than 30 years ago that was norm....

What a lot of the anti-cruise group are afraid of is that Carnival, and possibly other lines, would start sending larger ships and have multiple days that would be "turnaround" instead of every 5-7 days.

And Yes I do agree that if Hal or Princess were ported here the noise would be smaller.

Agree that the furor didn't really seem to kick into gear until it was Carnival sailing from here.

We sailed both NCL and Celebrity from Charleston and I do not recall any discussions, news stories etc. from the holier-than-thou preservationists. And yes, the billboards around town all have a very prominent whale tail on them with dire warnings that "they will only get bigger!"

Archived