Charleston Port Case Update

wmjrdn4ever

Here is an update to the ongoing cruise port lawsuits in Charleston SC: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2013/09/12/3704020/sc-cruise-lawsuit-being-heard.html

The judge has rescinded the Corps of Engineers permit and returned the application to the Corps for expanded review. Heard on the news break that the judge is specifically ordering the Corp of Engineers to review and determine the impact to the neighborhoods, historic district and the like.

The review is now supposed to incorporate not just the ship's impact but the people's impact.

Pretty much exactly what the Preservation groups and the anti-cruise groups wanted from this round.

Seriously this is getting stupid. It is amazing how a group of so few people in the Preservationists Society are fighting this so hardcore. We NEED a new terminal. The beautification process alone in that area will make it worth it.

I am really disappointed in this and I hope that the judges decision wasn't swayed by these morons and I sure hope that they didn't line his pockets to sway his decision.

All because these idiots think that people who sail Carnival wouldn't tour the city, stay in our hotels and eat at our restaurants. All of the market vendors LOVE it when the ship is about to sail. Restauranteers and hotel managers LOVE cruise folks. It's a tiny group of uppity snobs that are ruining it for EVERYONE. :mad:

Most of these people fighting it were not originally from the area to begin with. Charleston has always been a shipping port so this is just plain stupid. think of all the years that it was a naval station plus all the container ships that come and go each day.

Most of these people fighting it were not originally from the area to begin with. Charleston has always been a shipping port so this is just plain stupid. think of all the years that it was a naval station plus all the container ships that come and go each day.

That reminds me of the people in this area that bought houses near a 72 year old airport and then want it shut down because they do not like the noise.

All because these idiots think that people who sail Carnival wouldn't tour the city, stay in our hotels and eat at our restaurants. All of the market vendors LOVE it when the ship is about to sail. Restauranteers and hotel managers LOVE cruise folks. It's a tiny group of uppity snobs that are ruining it for EVERYONE. :mad:

Sounds about right for Charleston. It's amazing to me how these people can get their swollen heads so far up their rear end.

Is the judge in the case elected or appointed?
He's a Federal judge - he's appointed. And it's a lifetime appointment. I don't know that I'd blame the judge, but the whole issue is frustrating. We loved visiting Charleston - I really don't understand why the preservationists want to discourage visitors, unless they just want to live in a museum.:(

I didn't mean to insinuate that at all. We have lots of great friends in Charleston and love to visit there. The old school so called upper crusters who are stuck in the past are the ones that I was referring to.

And many of them are rather new to the area... if Princess cruiseline or HAL was homeported here they would LOVE it.. But Carnival? Heck no...

The Federal Judge told the Corps to do a more through impact study... yet the Corps did exactly what is their job... the impact of the project on navigable waters. I bet it takes the Corps about 10 days to re-issue....

I went to Charleston to take a cruise to Bermuda a few years back. Until I saw a cruise leaving from there, I had no idea that there was anything going on in that city, and I would never have considered going there for any reason.

I think that the impact of the ship being parked there, is probably that a lot of cash gets pumped into that tiny little economy they have there.

They should probably just keep the ship and get over their whole, "wannabe small town heritage" thing they're doing.

Confederate history museum?? Every single car has a rebel flag sticker on it. I mean crazy. I felt like I was in a racist's paradise....which is kind of a bad way to feel.

I didn't mean to insinuate that at all. We have lots of great friends in Charleston and love to visit there. The old school so called upper crusters who are stuck in the past are the ones that I was referring to.

I know you weren't. I was having some fun. And you are correct. There are some snobby people there!

I keep thinking that building a cruise terminal across the river at Patriot's Point would be a solution that would make everybody happy. Still in the Charleston area, but not smack in the historic district.

There are currently three different court cases in various stages of being heard. The one with the ruling issued today is a federal case involving the Corp of Engineers.

The other two are state cases against the State Dept of Health and Environmental Controls. Both of these cases argue essentially the same point - the governmental agencies are issuing permits based on the impact of the actual construction work, not on the impact the construction will have on the city when it is constructed.

The federal and state agencies are arguing their jurisdiction is limited to construction impact not zoning impact which is a local issue. This federal judge disagreed and expanded the Corps scope of review dramatically.

Here is an updated article from earlier tonight: http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130912/PC05/130919772/1010/updated-judge-docks-charleston-cruise-terminal-study

I went to Charleston to take a cruise to Bermuda a few years back. Until I saw a cruise leaving from there, I had no idea that there was anything going on in that city, and I would never have considered going there for any reason. ...

No idea there was anything going on in that city? Really? Charleston is a beautiful, historic old town. I love just walking around and looking at the houses and gardens. I don't want "things going on," personally. You should Google "Spoleto Festival." There are plenty of things going on.

Not even going to address the rest of that post. :(

I love Fantasy, but really had hoped they would get a new terminal built. Before they decided to send 1/2 the Spirit-class ships to the south Pacific, I had hoped they'd put one in Charleston after new facilities were built.

But, yeah, for a town that has ALWAYS been a port city, the resistance is just a bit over-the-top.

I always drive down a day early and shop, eat out, and spend money. I spent two post-cruise days in May in the area. I've spent 38 nights on Fantasy, 29 of them since she moved to Charleston.

If the snobs don't want me in town, I seriously will have to start re-thinking my cruise plans. It doesn't take THAT much longer to drive to Jacksonville.

Don't be to sure on Jaxport, they have their own set of problems as well.

Well, great. My 3 closest ports of call are Mobile, Charleston, and Jacksonville.

• Mobile is gone.
  • Charleston is fighting for its life.
  • Jacksonville has an ongoing battle as well.

Oh well...:rolleyes:

Archived