Charts or Maps?

FredT

When at sea, one of the things my wife and I enjoy is "pinpointing" where we are and what particular landmarks are as we pass. This results in a LOT of mad frantic dashed up to the Crows Nest (On HAL) to examine the charts kept there. On a recent Antarctica cruise I felt we practically lived there (even though we are "outside" people on cruises) just because of the charts.

Well, four months from now it's the far east, and I am wondering if anyone has a source for "inexpensive" charts (or a single book with detailed coastal charts. It would be something we would love to have.

If you have a smart phone download Navionics USA (or other regions) marine chart program (I think it is $20), then you can have the charts in your phone. You can get a bluetooth gps antenna, Garmin makes one and Bad Elf also. It is a slick system and its nice and compact!

I know its not where you are headed, but Youre probably NOAA has posted PDF versions of the US waters charts. I loaded up on those for our AK trips and tracked our position. It helped identify places for photo and photo books. For Antarctica (and chile/ Argentina) I bought some maps from amazon. Captain Bos signed one and commented on it.

Maybe if you check amazon you'll find something suitable.

Those charts in the crows nest were really cool, weren't they? Prior to going I had found a website that sold the nautical charts but they were a mild fortune.

Archived