Alaskan Rhapsody Aug 23rd-30th Photo Trip Report

Sinppu

Almost as good as being there.....almost. :) Love the pictures and descriptions.

I know. The next best thing. Aahhh.

Great review. Fantastic pictures.

Thank you. I am ready to take all the credit for the photos. Thank you.

Sinny, thanks for the great review and pictures. The scenery, ship and food makes me feel like I am there with you guys. Looking forward to some more of the same. madmarti:D

We are the best cruise buddies there is :p;)

Sinny.......Loving tagging along to Alaska with you! One of my favorite cruises! You are doing a great job. Really enjoying it!

Jane!! Hi! One of these days we'll end up on the same cruise and then it will be a fierce battle between reports :D

I'm glad you're enjoying the ride.

IMG_3404.JPG

Garlic Tiger Shrimp. One of my favourite dishes on Royal.

IMG_3405.JPG

Lasagne al Forno. Anouk and Ann had this and were very willing to share. It was too big and too delicious for them to eat alone.

IMG_3406.JPG

Thommo's steak. He said it was ok, but nothing special.

Lowry had the sliders today and as you can see, he actually got two smiley faces to go along with it: one made of ketchup and one is a fantastic portrait of the chef.

ATLAS7.jpg

This evening we were all so stuffed that our dessert options were quite boring. We just had some ice cream and I also tried the Low-Fat Lemon Yogurt Cake which I will not try again.

IMG_3418.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

Edited by Sinppu

Where is everybody?? Oh, right. Sitting on their balconies.

IMG_3135.JPG

There was a photographer around the pool taking photos of people with the Kodiak bear. It was hilarious. Everytime the bear saw someone new it started running towards them and gave them a huge hug. It was really funny and got everyone in a great mood.

IMG_3158.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

The ship arrived in Juneau quite late, 11 am. That gave ample time for breakfast and the outdoor/window seating at the Windjammer was much appreciated.

IMG_3157.JPG

20130825_095445_2_bestshot.jpg

I love the bear!! I can't wait to read more. My husband wants to go to Alaska and I have been dreading it until I started reading your review. I am hooked now.. Thank you so much!! It looks cold but peaceful and fun..

We had the 12 bottle Wine Package which we managed to drink up completely. 7 nights, 5 people. Easy.

WP_20130826_20_47_00_Pro__highres.jpg

Next up for us was bingo. We weren't really that into it. We weren't. Really.

IMG_3393.JPG

I wasn't!! I swear!

IMG_3419.JPG

I didn't buy one bingo card. Not one.

WP_20130828_16_05_16_Pro__highres.jpg

I had a lot of fun even without playing.

IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_3485.JPG

I love the bear!! I can't wait to read more. My husband wants to go to Alaska and I have been dreading it until I started reading your review. I am hooked now.. Thank you so much!! It looks cold but peaceful and fun..

It's not cold! We didn't think it was cold at all and see how much more south our country (marked red) is from Alaska?

Koko+n%25C3%25A4yt%25C3%25B6n+kaappaus+20.9.2013+110926.jpg

Oh.

Just wear a lot of clothes and you'll be fine.

Sinny, do you recall the name of the Cruise Director?

Yes Bob, it was Graham Seymour.

He did some stand-up comedy later in the week and while we thought he was absolutely hilarious, we overheard other people saying he should be given the sack for being so disgraceful.

You just can't please everyone. Not that pleasing those people would be easy :eek:

Yes Bob, it was Graham Seymour.

He did some stand-up comedy later in the week and while we thought he was absolutely hilarious, we overheard other people saying he should be given the sack for being so disgraceful.

You just can't please everyone. Not that pleasing those people would be easy :eek:

We love Graham, but we also know he rubs some people the wrong way.

After bingo it was time to go to bed.

Rhapsody would enter Tracy Arm Fjord at 5am and even though none of us was planning to get up that early, we still wanted to get up earlier than any normal person would on sea day.

But with this crew, normality is not easy to define...

IMG_3476.JPG

Two more towel animals again:

IMG_3395.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

I woke up around 7am and headed out to the deck.

I wasn't the only one.

IMG_3420.JPG

I'll have to assume these are all now the other poor people who can't afford the balcony...

IMG_3421.JPG

Here we easily saw the most spectacular scenery of the cruise. Being a city girl I'm always most impressed by the silence.

IMG_3425.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG

Someone pointed out earlier that it was strange that the screen was showing Caribbean scenery but we only got the view from the cameras.

The others woke up and we decided to have breakfast in the Park Café. It was pretty easy to find seats (which I found surprising).

IMG_3428.JPG

IMG_3429.JPG

See the little black spots?

IMG_3445.JPG

They are seals.

IMG_3459.JPG

WP_20130827_07_32_24_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20130827_07_35_47_Pro__highres.jpg

Imagine having this as the view while eating your breakfast.

Now have I sold you an Alaska cruise already?

As they day wore on, we took part in trivia (not successful), played some cards and had lunch in the MDR.

WP_20130827_17_23_16_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20130827_12_43_50_Pro__highres.jpg

Thommo's mushroom burger. Notice the indulgent amount of mushrooms.

WP_20130827_12_32_40_Pro__highres.jpg

Tomato soup and salad. The salad buffet is great but again the service was a little below par. I changed my mind about having mozzarella after I'd moved on and got some nasty looks from the cheese guy when the veggie guy scooped my mozza.

In the afternoon there was a champagne art auction again.

This time though they had some animation art and on top of this...

WP_20130827_14_55_39_Pro__highres.jpg

...I got this.

imgpiece_watermark.php?galleryId=1E95-CCCH-6E59&titleId=144&whichimage=1&watermark=http%3A%2F%2Fmasterpieceonline.com%2Fimages%2Fmasterpieceonline_watermark.png

It is my second Allison Lefcort piece so now I'm a true collector. Ahem.

You are from a good distance away. Lots of clothes will be just fine!! Thank You!!

Direct flight to New York is about 8-9 hours. If we want to fly to the West Coast, we need a layover and it's at least 14 hours, usually closer to 18 hours.

It's worth it though :D

Oh and waterproof is a good word to remember.

Today it was Win-a-cruise-bingo.

We lost.

IMG_3485.JPG

After bingo it was again time for the ladies to make maximum use of the mirrors.

NMUx9-ZB8mlNsaeulFIttvAsBStk89mp803sF21ZiCZC=w299-h199-p-no

The gentlemen escaped again. To where, I can not possibly guess.

IMG_2973.JPG

We later heard they'd made a bet between themselves: They'd come back 15 minutes before our MTD reservation. Lowry said we'd all be otherwise ready but have at least two hair crisis. Thommo thought we'd be ready, but one of us would decide to change our dress at the last minute.

Both were dead wrong. We were ready but I hated my hair and Anouk felt underdressed. Well maybe not dead wrong. Just quite sick wrong.

20130919_170958.jpg

When Lowry called to make the table reservation they asked him if we'd like a table that had Bras and Alejandro. Naturally we did.

The service in the MDR was beyond words here.

IMG_3403.JPG

Your photos of the glacier are outstanding!:)

When we took the same cruise last year, we could not get to Tracy Arm because of too much ice, so we went to Endicott Arm instead. I don't recall the scenery in Endicott being as dramatic as your photos show. Really nice colors.

Your review is excellent. Thank you for posting it.

We were on the August 16th sailing and Capt. Rob took us very close to Dawes Glacier.

You're welcome. We too had Captain Rob from Canada.

Fantastic trip report. You're bringing back great memories.

Thanks for taking the time.

Steve

By all means, Steve. It is a pleasure!

We are the best cruise buddies there is :p;)

Jane!! Hi! One of these days we'll end up on the same cruise and then it will be a fierce battle between reports :D

I'm glad you're enjoying the ride.

Sinny......aren't y'all on the Dec. 7th Independence sailing? We are, too!!!! Hope to see you there! Are you on the Dec. 1st sailing as well?