Valor Southern Caribbean review with pictures and Fun Times - better late than never

pghsteelerfan

Amazing review! Great pics and suggestions. We are sailing the Valor in June, our first cruise ever! So excited! :)

Thank you for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it. You don't have much of a wait left and I think you picked a great itinerary (and Valor) for your first cruise. Our first cruise was a very similar itinerary (Dominica and Martinique instead of St. Lucia and St. Kitts) and that was also in June. The weather was perfect and the only rain we had was in Dominica in the rain forest (brief shower) and a passing shower on day at sea.

I hope you have a wonderful first cruise and great weather.

I am so happy I saw this review! We are going on the Valor in August and this made my excitement even greater! I also am happy to have read that you enjoyed Spencer Ambrose's tour....We did a tour with Spencer in 2012 and we were bitterly disappointed and as a result, I had booked another company for this upcoming visit to St. Lucia. It is a gorgeous island, but we had a very bad experience and got back to the pier with 15 minutes left til sailaway. HOWEVER, after reading about your experience and seeing your gorgeous pictures, I have cancelled the other tour and am going to give Spencer another try! Thank you for sharing! ......and Go Pens Go!!!! (I live in Toronto, but Pens are MY TEAM!)

I am so happy I saw this review! We are going on the Valor in August and this made my excitement even greater! I also am happy to have read that you enjoyed Spencer Ambrose's tour....We did a tour with Spencer in 2012 and we were bitterly disappointed and as a result, I had booked another company for this upcoming visit to St. Lucia. It is a gorgeous island, but we had a very bad experience and got back to the pier with 15 minutes left til sailaway. HOWEVER, after reading about your experience and seeing your gorgeous pictures, I have cancelled the other tour and am going to give Spencer another try! Thank you for sharing! ......and Go Pens Go!!!! (I live in Toronto, but Pens are MY TEAM!)

Good luck. We had a horrible experience last month. My review is on tripadvisor. I don't know if you want to take that chance. We're going thru Carnival next week instead of booking him again.

Good luck. We had a horrible experience last month. My review is on tripadvisor. I don't know if you want to take that chance. We're going thru Carnival next week instead of booking him again.

oh no!!!!! What is the date on your review?

oh no!!!!! What is the date on your review?

April 21st. There have been a mixed bag of reviews lately. Everyone seems happy with doing the Jalousie Beach break but the land and sea has not been good.

Edited by bizeemom4

We did the land and sea excursion two years ago, and it was a disaster, and I said NEVER AGAIN....BUT...I am hopeful for more beach time, and an uneventful excursion. I don't see any other alternatives to get to the beach and have a good amount of time there. We had been promised an hour and a half last time...we got approximately 30 minutes...traffic, poor judgement, we almost missed the ship....? glutton for punishment?? maybe!!

We went last October and took a tour with Cosul (http://cosol-tours.com/) It was amazing. It was pretty fast paced though...we were a little rushed at a couple stops but got an hour or so at Jalousie Beach. You have to keep in mind the distance and the roads... it takes a long time to do all those stops. If you want more time at the beach, I'd suggest a catamaran tour to avoid the traffic...(especially after the December floods... I hear the roads are mostly repaired but not fully) and then you'll be able spend more time at the beach.

Have you read my wife's review? You should check it out. Also, if you would like to see all my pictures from our cruise, give me your email address and I'll send you a link to my Shutterfly page with all the pix.

-Jim

We did the land and sea excursion two years ago, and it was a disaster, and I said NEVER AGAIN....BUT...I am hopeful for more beach time, and an uneventful excursion. I don't see any other alternatives to get to the beach and have a good amount of time there. We had been promised an hour and a half last time...we got approximately 30 minutes...traffic, poor judgement, we almost missed the ship....? glutton for punishment?? maybe!!

Thanks for the link! I will check it out! I had booked with Cosol, but have since cancelled...we have seen the island, and the idea of spending a day at the beach, between the Pitons is what I have always wanted for a visit to St. Lucia. We have 'bit the bullet" and booked with Spencer (yet again) and I have emailed him to let him know we are return customers, and our displeasure last time with 30 minutes at the beach. He "promises" more time this time around! Thanks!

Hi jmwg49,

Sorry my response to you is so late. It's been a very busy but very fun weekend and I'm finally getting a few minutes for some computer time. I'm so glad that you enjoyed my review, thank you.

As for Spencer's Jalousie Beach break, before our cruise I'd seen so many great reviews on Spencer's tours then started seeing the negatives in late 2012/early 2013. Because there were a lot more positive than negative reviews, we didn't hesitate to book with Spencer. Like you, we also wanted more than just the typical quick beach stop at Jalousie Beach and Spencer's "Jalousie Beach Break" offered exactly what we wanted. We were the first ones at the beach and had first picks of the loungers and plenty of time for snorkeling, walking the beach for pictures and just kicking back and taking in the beauty around us. Our whole day went very smooth, was run like clockwork and we had the best time ever and got the great "Sea Tour" on the way back to the ship with plenty of time for browsing the cruise center shops.

As I mentioned in the review, Spencer told us all that he takes every review to heart, whether it's positive or negative. He will look at the negative for ways to improve & if changes are needed for improvement, he will make them. He brought that up when he apologized to every one of us for collecting the payment for the tour up front. It was a change that he said he had to make because of the negative reviews and none of us had a problem with that. I always expect to pay the amount due at the beginning of a tour and tip at the end. There was also a couple on the list who signed up for the Jalousie Beach Break who were late. Spencer said he would wait 10 minutes and if they didn't show, we were leaving without them and that is exactly what we did. Spencer said he hated to do it but he wasn't going to waste the time of the rest of us who showed up on time. There were detailed instructions before our cruise that he emailed and they were very good and simple.

Since your cruise on Valor will be in August, you will be the only ship in port for all of the ports of call, including St. Lucia. I just double checked the schedule on the other popular port of call schedule showing which ships will be in each port. Carnival Valor is the only ship that does the southern itinerary out of San Juan during the summer months, so that should keep things smoother for you this time as well.

We were over at some good friends' last night so we missed the Penguin game but recorded it on the DVR and to watch when we got home. At 2AM, I couldn't hang anymore so I looked up the score on the internet (we won!!!!) told DH I knew the outcome but wouldn't spoil it for him. When he came upstairs, he had a smile on his face. :) I just hope they can win the next one instead of it going to seven games. So glad to see another Penguin fan! GO PENS!!!!

Hi jmwg49,

Sorry my response to you is so late. It's been a very busy but very fun weekend and I'm finally getting a few minutes for some computer time. I'm so glad that you enjoyed my review, thank you.

As for Spencer's Jalousie Beach break, before our cruise I'd seen so many great reviews on Spencer's tours then started seeing the negatives in late 2012/early 2013. Because there were a lot more positive than negative reviews, we didn't hesitate to book with Spencer. Like you, we also wanted more than just the typical quick beach stop at Jalousie Beach and Spencer's "Jalousie Beach Break" offered exactly what we wanted. We were the first ones at the beach and had first picks of the loungers and plenty of time for snorkeling, walking the beach for pictures and just kicking back and taking in the beauty around us. Our whole day went very smooth, was run like clockwork and we had the best time ever and got the great "Sea Tour" on the way back to the ship with plenty of time for browsing the cruise center shops.

As I mentioned in the review, Spencer told us all that he takes every review to heart, whether it's positive or negative. He will look at the negative for ways to improve & if changes are needed for improvement, he will make them. He brought that up when he apologized to every one of us for collecting the payment for the tour up front. It was a change that he said he had to make because of the negative reviews and none of us had a problem with that. I always expect to pay the amount due at the beginning of a tour and tip at the end. There was also a couple on the list who signed up for the Jalousie Beach Break who were late. Spencer said he would wait 10 minutes and if they didn't show, we were leaving without them and that is exactly what we did. Spencer said he hated to do it but he wasn't going to waste the time of the rest of us who showed up on time. There were detailed instructions before our cruise that he emailed and they were very good and simple.

Since your cruise on Valor will be in August, you will be the only ship in port for all of the ports of call, including St. Lucia. I just double checked the schedule on the other popular port of call schedule showing which ships will be in each port. Carnival Valor is the only ship that does the southern itinerary out of San Juan during the summer months, so that should keep things smoother for you this time as well.

We were over at some good friends' last night so we missed the Penguin game but recorded it on the DVR and to watch when we got home. At 2AM, I couldn't hang anymore so I looked up the score on the internet (we won!!!!) told DH I knew the outcome but wouldn't spoil it for him. When he came upstairs, he had a smile on his face. :) I just hope they can win the next one instead of it going to seven games. So glad to see another Penguin fan! GO PENS!!!!

Thanks for all your information. Back in 2012, when we visited St. Lucia last, I too had read many many reviews about Spencer and they were a mixed bag. I have a good friend who told me to ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BOOK WITH HIM, as he had a very bad experience whereby his wife was put on a different boat back to the port. For us, after our 30 minutes at the beach...we had to take the water taxi, then the van back to the port area...we got stuck in traffic, and the driver did not seem to be concerned...as time was quickly ticking away, he pulled over to the side of the road and told us to 'run down an alleyway and Spencer will be there in a boat'....we did, and there was Spencer, in a boat, laughing about the fact that we had literally minutes before they pulled the gangway up. It was very nerve wracking, to say the least. He did not offer an apology. I was very upset. Time has passed...and after reading your review, I have decided to give him a try again, because what you describe is EXACTLY what I want to do. In my email to Spencer, I ticked that we were returning guests, and he replied quickly with a 'welcome back'...and I took the opportunity to express my concern...His response was that 'he owes it to me to give us the tour we want'. I appreciate that and trust he is sincere!

That said...GO PENGUINS!!! I am sitting here in Toronto on pins and needles!!!

Thanks for all your information. Back in 2012, when we visited St. Lucia last, I too had read many many reviews about Spencer and they were a mixed bag. I have a good friend who told me to ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BOOK WITH HIM, as he had a very bad experience whereby his wife was put on a different boat back to the port. For us, after our 30 minutes at the beach...we had to take the water taxi, then the van back to the port area...we got stuck in traffic, and the driver did not seem to be concerned...as time was quickly ticking away, he pulled over to the side of the road and told us to 'run down an alleyway and Spencer will be there in a boat'....we did, and there was Spencer, in a boat, laughing about the fact that we had literally minutes before they pulled the gangway up. It was very nerve wracking, to say the least. He did not offer an apology. I was very upset. Time has passed...and after reading your review, I have decided to give him a try again, because what you describe is EXACTLY what I want to do. In my email to Spencer, I ticked that we were returning guests, and he replied quickly with a 'welcome back'...and I took the opportunity to express my concern...His response was that 'he owes it to me to give us the tour we want'. I appreciate that and trust he is sincere!

That said...GO PENGUINS!!! I am sitting here in Toronto on pins and needles!!!

I really hope that this time you will have an experience like we did on the "Jalousie Beach Break". It really is very pretty there and my pictures don't even do it justice. My DH got video and I'm so glad because that gives a much better perspective on how it really looks. I have video on my camera and am still kicking myself for not getting one of the beach. Next time.

Penguins hockey tonight...I'll also be on pins and needles and so will DH. So GO PENS!!!

Thanks so much for the review! My fiance and I were booked in Eastern Carribean on Conquest, but that was cancelled so we just switched to this itinerary for 4/26/15. We too will have our honeymoon cruise in southern carribean :). It's a year out but I'm already very excited and even more excited after reading your review.

Thanks so much for the review! My fiance and I were booked in Eastern Carribean on Conquest, but that was cancelled so we just switched to this itinerary for 4/26/15. We too will have our honeymoon cruise in southern carribean :). It's a year out but I'm already very excited and even more excited after reading your review.

I think you will find that you will not be disappointed that your Eastern Caribbean on Conquest was cancelled once you actually see these islands. Nothing against the Eastern Caribbean or Conquest, but the Southern itinerary out of San Juan has to be one of the best, if not the best, in the Caribbean. That's just my opinion though. We did an Eastern on Glory four years ago and really enjoyed it, but I think you'll be very happy with the southern. :)

Congratulations to you on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon! I know it's a year away, but I want to wish you and your fiancé many, many years of happiness together. Thank you also for taking the time to read the review and I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 1 month later...
Agreed!!! :D

I remember you commented a while back and had an upcoming Valor cruise...how was it? We were on a western on Liberty in April and really liked it (was our 2nd western), but the beauty of the Southern itinerary out of San Juan has really spoiled us. LOL!!!

Wow, what a great review, we boarding this Sunday, now I am even more excited.

What was your impression of security check in, (I want to bring a bottle of liquor on board).

We are arriving a day earlier, & are staying in Condado, so we were planning on renting a car to explore, how easy would it be to pull up and unload luggage.

I would then drive the car to the “Old Sheraton Hotel” and turn it back in.

They have a "Hertz" desk in the Lobby.

What was your impression of security check in, (I want to bring a bottle of liquor on board).

We are arriving a day earlier, & are staying in Condado, so we were planning on renting a car to explore, how easy would it be to pull up and unload luggage.

Thank you for reading! I sure wish I was leaving on Valor on Sunday. :)

Security check in was a breeze and although we didn't try it, San Juan is supposedly the easiest place to smuggle. What I've seen from other reports, you'll go through the initial security after checking-in. Many people will check-in, go through security and board Valor then get back off to explore. The ones who have been successful with smuggling take a small bag, like a small carry-on, off the ship with them. When you get back on you'll have to go through security again, just like when getting on the ship from a port of call. Security sees it and has apparently told them that once on the ship, they have to put it on the table to be held to the last day and this is where others just put it right back in the carry-on (not right in front of security though) and walk right past that table. Again, we didn't try it but this is how I've seen it explained.

If the Old Sheraton Hotel you're talking about is the one right across the street from the ship's pier, unloading the luggage should be pretty easy. There may be staff out there directing you where to go to unload the car. We took a cab, he dropped us off at the drop-off area at the end of the pier and it was a short walk to a line were several people were waiting but that line moved quickly. At the end of that line is where you leave the luggage with the porters. If you're just dropping the rental off at the Sheraton across the street, you could drop off the luggage and have one person wait with the luggage until you get back from returning the car. We stayed one night pre-cruise in Isla Verda at the Courtyard, which is right near the airport. We got to the pier just a little after 12:00PM noon. If you get their earlier, and they may even allow it later, there is a possibility that they'll let you park for a few minutes until you unload the car and hand your luggage over to the porters and come back to get the car for return. I can't promise that, but it's definitely a possibility. That may also depend on how many taxis and airport transfers there are though. It shouldn't be too busy earlier. Hope this helps.

I hope you have a wonderful time on Valor and hope you have great weather and smooth seas. Our Valor cruise is definitely one of our favorites (other was our honeymoon, also out of San Juan and itinerary almost the same). We love the Southern Caribbean and definitely want to it again. I really think you're going to enjoy it.

You are allowed a bottle of Wine each... but if you want hard liquor, they won't let you bring it in...

HOWEVER.

What they do at the San Juan port is a bit different. After they see that you have the liquor, they put a colored zip tie on the bag and tell you to go to the table on the way in... then they take it and store it for after the trip.

Most people just ripped off (or clipped off) the zip tie while going up the gangway so that no one saw it when they walked by the table. They were able to just walk right on with it then.

What she described in her post is at the other ports. All the other ports just tell you to take it to the table...but I just popped it back in the bag and walked right on past... It was wonderful having rum and cokes any time I wanted! :) (We actually ended up bringing a LOT of alcohol...a few bottles at each stop...)

You are allowed a bottle of Wine each... but if you want hard liquor, they won't let you bring it in...

HOWEVER.

What they do at the San Juan port is a bit different. After they see that you have the liquor, they put a colored zip tie on the bag and tell you to go to the table on the way in... then they take it and store it for after the trip.

Most people just ripped off (or clipped off) the zip tie while going up the gangway so that no one saw it when they walked by the table. They were able to just walk right on with it then.

What she described in her post is at the other ports. All the other ports just tell you to take it to the table...but I just popped it back in the bag and walked right on past... It was wonderful having rum and cokes any time I wanted! :) (We actually ended up bringing a LOT of alcohol...a few bottles at each stop...)

Hey there! Thanks for helping out with the smuggling question. I did read something about a zip tie now that you mention it. We didn't try it so we weren't positive, only what I read about some table around the corner & slipping bottles into the carry-on before you get there. :) Dang, wish we'd have smuggled some Captain Morgan rum.

Oh, you guys rented a car, in the question about dropping off the luggage with porters then returning the car, is there an area that allows temporary parking where they could park, unload, drop of luggage then return the car? I didn't even look to see if there was a parking lot or temporary parking when we were there since we took a taxi.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Hey there! Thanks for helping out with the smuggling question. I did read something about a zip tie now that you mention it. We didn't try it so we weren't positive, only what I read about some table around the corner & slipping bottles into the carry-on before you get there. :) Dang, wish we'd have smuggled some Captain Morgan rum.

Oh, you guys rented a car, in the question about dropping off the luggage with porters then returning the car, is there an area that allows temporary parking where they could park, unload, drop of luggage then return the car? I didn't even look to see if there was a parking lot or temporary parking when we were there since we took a taxi.

Sorry, the place we rented the car had a cruise port shuttle service. So we just dropped off the car and they shuttled us over. It was pretty busy when we got there, so it was pretty much stop throw out the luggage and the shuttle took right off...

Thanks for the info.

I think the car action will have to be quick, depending on the crowds.

I have been trying to figure how you upload the ship photo in your signature line.

I know the website , but I have not worked out the details of which format to save it as, or even editing the title below the ship.

Thanks for the info.

I think the car action will have to be quick, depending on the crowds.

I have been trying to figure how you upload the ship photo in your signature line.

I know the website , but I have not worked out the details of which format to save it as, or even editing the title below the ship.

I just created the photo at cruise-ships.com and copied it.

Then I went to the userCP and edited my signature and pasted it in.

Sorry, the place we rented the car had a cruise port shuttle service. So we just dropped off the car and they shuttled us over. It was pretty busy when we got there, so it was pretty much stop throw out the luggage and the shuttle took right off...

That's right, I do remember that from your wife's review now. You did that right after the helicopter tour right?

That's right, I do remember that from your wife's review now. You did that right after the helicopter tour right?

Ya...we took the helicopter tour and then drove around Old San Juan for a bit and then took the car back and they shuttled us over to the ship.

I remember you commented a while back and had an upcoming Valor cruise...how was it? We were on a western on Liberty in April and really liked it (was our 2nd western), but the beauty of the Southern itinerary out of San Juan has really spoiled us. LOL!!!

The cruise was fantastic! We've booked it again for March 2016... so far away... but we have a Western on Carnival Dream coming up in September. Then, a Eastern on Carnival Dream in January 2015. I kind of wish both those cruises were on the Valor! :p