Premium Drink Package -white wine?

kevinyork

We were on AOS in May and had the premium drinks package thrown in. The only house white was a Chardonney.....a very heavy one which didnt complement many dishes at dinner. As we say ......ABC Anything But Chardonney. We complained and were told they had bought it in bulk and were stuck with it. There is a similar free drinks package being offered for April's transatlantic but does anyone know if the house white has changed at all?

We had the classic (cheaper) drinks package on Celebrity in July and had a choice of around 9 white wines with dinner so only having one poor white wine on RCI was dissapointing.

We were on AOS in May and had the premium drinks package thrown in. The only house white was a Chardonney.....a very heavy one which didnt complement many dishes at dinner. As we say ......ABC Anything But Chardonney. We complained and were told they had bought it in bulk and were stuck with it. There is a similar free drinks package being offered for April's transatlantic but does anyone know if the house white has changed at all?

We had the classic (cheaper) drinks package on Celebrity in July and had a choice of around 9 white wines with dinner so only having one poor white wine on RCI was dissapointing.

I agree with you, the wine selection on Royal's drink packages is poor. Even if someone tells you what the house wines are on the ship now, they can be different in April. The best thing to do is wait to purchase the package when get you get on board. Then you can ask specific questions.

Hmmmm. I was just about to get the premium drink package for our 14 night TA Fall, 2014. It will cost $526 which appears to be a good price until I read something like this. I primarily drink Chardonney, but crummy chard is very crummy.

I am so glad I searched the CC Rccl board one last time befor emailing my travel agent, and instructing her to get the package. I had assumed (stupid me) there would be a choice of 3-5 chards, or pay an upcharge for a better wine.

Hmmmm. I was just about to get the premium drink package for our 14 night TA Fall, 2014. It will cost $526 which appears to be a good price until I read something like this. I primarily drink Chardonney, but crummy chard is very crummy.

I am so glad I searched the CC Rccl board one last time befor emailing my travel agent, and instructing her to get the package. I had assumed (stupid me) there would be a choice of 3-5 chards, or pay an upcharge for a better wine.

If you are a wine drinker, I would not get the premium drink package, I would buy by the glass or by the bottle instead. The premium drink package is great for a martini drinker or someone who drinks at least 6-8 drinks a day. We didn't get it since I don't usually drink 6-8 drinks a cruise, let alone a day, and DH is a beer drinker who drinks maybe 4-6 beers max a day.

We found having the 2 bottles of wine we could bring on the ship was plenty plus a couple of bottles we bought while in specialty restaurants.

That's similar to the way Celebrity does their package, but unfortunately Royal has very few choices for house wine and any other wine would be charged at full price.

Well for me I dont like Chardonney at all however I found the Chardonney House wine very very heavy with a deep yellow colour. It overpowered most food options.

If you are a wine drinker, I would not get the premium drink package, I would buy by the glass or by the bottle instead. The premium drink package is great for a martini drinker or someone who drinks at least 6-8 drinks a day. We didn't get it since I don't usually drink 6-8 drinks a cruise, let alone a day, and DH is a beer drinker who drinks maybe 4-6 beers max a day.

We found having the 2 bottles of wine we could bring on the ship was plenty plus a couple of bottles we bought while in specialty restaurants.

We are the same. couldn't find the time to drink that much in a day. usually buy a wine package.

Well for me I dont like Chardonney at all however I found the Chardonney House wine very very heavy with a deep yellow colour. It overpowered most food options.

Yuck!

We will usually drink 1.5 bottles per day so it Looks like the wine package of 5 bottles @ 25% of is the way to go.

Life is too short to drink crummy wine!!

To me the whole wine thing is hit or miss on the ships. We didn't do the drink package but had good luck getting a decent wine we wanted at one bar but the others didn't have it. Some terrible Chard at the others. Then that one bar ran out and didn't know what I was talking about when I asked if they had more coming. Even Vintages on our last cruise had a poor selection compared to our other cruises.

Archived