Mardi Gras Parade Seats?

skandls

Hi - I hope someone can answer a couple of questions about grandstand seats for the Parades.

Feb 27, 2014 (Thu) Babylon, Chaos and Muses or Feb 28 (Fri) Hermes, d'Etat and Morpheus - which would be better?

Which 'area' is a better choice for grandstand tickets?

Is there a sunny side and shady side?

I prefer the Friday parades to the Thursday ones. However, Muses can be pretty spectacular. Try to get one of the coveted spiked heels! I don't think you can go wrong with either. Friday parade routes will probably be a bit more crowded, but they are all crowded unless the weather is really terrible.

Perhaps you can see me in the Saturday Tucks parade!

I can't help you with the grandstand question as I have never sat in them and usually catch the parades before they get that far downtown. I will say that I found it more difficult to throw to the people in them than those standing on the ground. Next year I am not going to throw much there as too much gets wasted and falls on the street.

The grandstand seats just aren't very fun. I would plan on just buying a few inexpensive lawn chairs and camping out somewhere on the uptown end of St. Charles Avenue which is very family friendly.

I personally think the Zea's package is one of the best values out there. You get a table inside for the duration and all the food you can eat, along with 2 drink coupons.

They don't have 2014 prices out yet, but here is a link to 2013.

http://www.zearestaurants.com/site.php?pageID=92

While $52 per person seems high, when you consider it includes parking, bathroom privileges, dinner and a drink it really is a bargain!

• 2 weeks later...

These guys have it right, the friday parades are the better ones, but are WAY more crowded.

If you are with family, make sure you are farther up St. Charles past the grandstands. People are nicer out there. If you want to be in the middle of all the action, get in the neutral ground on Canal where the parades pass you on both sides.

No family - so if we go to see the parades on Thursday where should we go on Canal? Friday we will probably try to buy seats just I can avoid the crowds - I am short so its not too much fun when your view is blocked.

Last time we were in NO was for Jazz Fest the year of Katrina. Also the same time we had 2 extra nights in the city while the Grandeur had the hole in the hull fixed.

No family - so if we go to see the parades on Thursday where should we go on Canal? Friday we will probably try to buy seats just I can avoid the crowds - I am short so its not too much fun when your view is blocked.

Last time we were in NO was for Jazz Fest the year of Katrina. Also the same time we had 2 extra nights in the city while the Grandeur had the hole in the hull fixed.

Will forward your question to a Mardi Gras parade veteran. You would have a good view from the grandstands, but I don't think you'll catch much. It would be sort of dangerous to move around up there IMO.

Okay: he says they make a loop on Canal and the parade ends around Magazine St. Good watching on Canal and on the stands as well. Further up St. Charles it is lined with barricades. Not much help, after all.

Archived