port side or starboard side?

bentleybabe

Have treated ourselves to a balcony cabin on Azura to Caribbean next year. Just read on forum that we need to be port side to get sun on balcony! Can anyone tell me which side we are on (C326) - didn't think it mattered when we booked and I'm sure we'll enjoy it either way.

Port Out, Starboard Home, that was usually for trips going from the UK east to the colonies, in those days one shunned the sunshine as it was too hot so adopting the POSH method meant one's cabin was cooler.

Going West from the UK and wanting the sunshine, theoretically you need to do the same, Port going and Starboard coming home.

Going almost directly south to the Canaries, sun in the morning, shade in the afternoon and t'other way round on the return.

Alternatively, go up top and it'll make no difference....

So that will mean a port side balcony will be in the shade going down to the canaries :confused: oh dear I will not be popular, on the up side I guess it will be in the sun on the way home

I would have thought port side on way to Canaries would be the sunny side? what do other members think?:D

I would have thought port side on way to Canaries would be the sunny side? what do other members think?:D

We are inside but my sister has a balcony opposite our room and she left us to pick the rooms as she has never cruised before, it would be nice if they woke up to a sunny balcony, but then again we picked Rivera deck so with the overhang they probably won't get any sun at all :eek:

Thanks for your replies. Doesn't seem to make much difference but is it the same for cruise starting in Barbados and going to Antigua etc?

No not the same. You could have any side in the Caribbean and it will work out fairly even. We choose the starboard side when in Caribbean as when in Barbados love getting on the ship and straight onto the balcony in the sun.

Sue

If you're heading South-West (ie. towards the Caribbean), the sun will rise in the East, which is on your left (port). It will head round to the South, which is in front of you. And it will set in the West, which is on your right (starboard).

When you head back North-East (ie. back to Britain), the sun will still rise in the East, which is now on your right (starboard). It will head round to the South, which is behind you. And it will set in the West, which is now on your left (port).

If you're on a round trip cruise, for every mile you travel south, you have to travel a mile north; for every mile you travel west, you have to travel a mile east. So as far as sun is concerend, it makes not a blind bit of difference, overall, which side of the ship you choose.

Words fail me as to the complete stupidity and lack of the most basic knowledge. Surely everyone knows the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. And if you are north of the tropics then the sun will always be south at around noon. Then as long as you know roughly what course is being steered - and transatlantic from UK to the Caribbean is roughly WSW you do not need to be Einstein to work out where the sun will be during the day. Give me strength.

Words fail me as to the complete stupidity and lack of the most basic knowledge. Surely everyone knows the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. And if you are north of the tropics then the sun will always be south at around noon. Then as long as you know roughly what course is being steered - and transatlantic from UK to the Caribbean is roughly WSW you do not need to be Einstein to work out where the sun will be during the day. Give me strength.

I have told you before I don't know my left from right half the time, get off your high horse, we are not all technically minded

This site needs to add some more smileys. Pref a poking out tongue

Take a chill pill...:D

I have told you before I don't know my left from right half the time, get off your high horse, we are not all technically minded

This site needs to add some more smileys. Pref a poking out tongue

It also needs a "Like" button :)

The rude comment by Simonpjd ( looked at a few more of his replies and they are all just as cutting!) puts me off asking any more "stupid questions" . I bet he's a bundle of fun to have at the dinner table - glad he's not planning Azura in Jan! Thankfully the helpful people on here out number him so I will continue to seek advice from the forum regardless.

I can honestly say that I have been compared to Doc Martin.

But honestly this thing about not knowing where the sun is.

Imagine a clock.

At noon the sun is at the 6.

You are steaming to the Caribbean from the UK so you are heading roughly WSW or towards the 8.

So there it is. Couldn't be more simple.

The sun will be shining into cabins on the port side.

This is not a tricky concept to grasp.

Now I could go into detail and explain why the sun is not exactly on the 6 at noon (although it may be!), or why the sun does not rise on the 3 and set on the 9 (except at the equinox when it does) but life is too short. If anyone really wants to know I will explain the lot.

It depends which way the ship's facing, lynnek. In the evening, everywhere in the world, the sun is in the West. If the ship is facing East, ie. towards Africa, an aft balcony will be in the sun. But what you're asking is a bit like asking "if I buy a house in London, will the sun shine into my bedroom" - it depends which way the house faces.

Lynnek

Get a map and identify your start and destination port. Lets imagine you are doing Southampton to Bergen. Once you get through the channel it is roughly NNE all the way. Or to go back to my clock analogy the ship is heading roughly towards the one. The sun will rise in the east around the 3 so early morning the sun will be on the starboard side. By lunchtime the sun will have moved around to the 6 - or almost astern but just on the starboard side. By mid afternoon it will have moved round to the 7 or 8 so now on the port quarter. And it will set on the 9 or just abaft the beam on the port side. This is all very rough but gives you an indication of how it works.

So plot roughly what your course will be , imagine it on that clock face and you can then see where the sun will be in relation to this during the day. This will be surprisingly accurate especially near the equinox.

I can honestly say that I have been compared to Doc Martin.

But honestly this thing about not knowing where the sun is.

Imagine a clock.

At noon the sun is at the 6.

You are steaming to the Caribbean from the UK so you are heading roughly WSW or towards the 8.

So there it is. Couldn't be more simple.

The sun will be shining into cabins on the port side.

This is not a tricky concept to grasp.

Now I could go into detail and explain why the sun is not exactly on the 6 at noon (although it may be!), or why the sun does not rise on the 3 and set on the 9 (except at the equinox when it does) but life is too short. If anyone really wants to know I will explain the lot.

Would much prefer an explanation for your rudeness. There must be some interesting psychology behind it more interesting than the position of the sun

Sunny

Archived