A few questions

click23

My wife and took a cruise on the Carnival Sensation two years ago and loved most every part of it, but we really did not care for Freeport. While she loves the beach, we prefer history and scenery over activities, going to St Augustine next week and would take that over Panama City every time. We are looking at taking another cruise next year, late summer/early fall time period, and have decided to stay with Carnival for this trip for a variety of reasons. We want a 4-5 night cruise with at least two stops, other than Freeport. For budget reasons we will drive, based on that I have narrowed down the ports to Charleston, Jacksonville, New Orleans, and Port Canaveral. We also want a Fun Ship 2.0 ship, so that leaves us with the Carnival Elation(getting upgraded early next year), Carnival Liberty, and the Carnival Sunshine. While the Carnival Liberty and Carnival Sunshine have stops in Freeport, but they also have two other stops, so we will just treat it as a day at sea.

Here are the itineraries we are interested in:

Carnival Elation - At Sea/Progreso/Cozumel/At Sea

Carnival Elation - At Sea/Cozumel/Progreso/At Sea

Carnival Liberty - At Sea/Half Moon Cay/Nassau/Freeport

Carnival Sunshine - Nassau/At Sea/Grand Turk Island/At Sea

Carnival Sunshine - At Sea/Key West/Nassau/Freeport

Just looking at some thoughts on these ships and itineraries.

Another consideration would be that we would have 2.5 year old daughter going with us. We found out we were expecting after booking the cruise. I have read wonderful thinks about Camp Carnival, but I am worried on what to do when we are at the ports. I know most shuttles and buses do not have seat belts, so I am not sure if we should bring a car seat or not.

Carnival Sunshine. Either itinerary. I think you would enjoy the beach on Grand Turk but the history at Key West.

Great idea, I had not thought of that.

While I see this itinerary on Expedia, I do not see it on Carnivals website, is this common?

My faves in red: Grand Turk, Key West, and Half Moon Cay are all great -- in fact, many cruisers list Half Moon Cay as their favorite cruise stop of all! We also love Cozumel.

IMO Freeport is the worst stop ever, with Nassau a close second -- yech!

All things considered, given the choices you list, I guess I would do Carnival Elation.

Keep in mind Half Moon Cay is nothing but beach. They do have a nice little play area for your daughter though and it is one of the most beautiful beaches ever, but there's not much else on the island. Grand Turk is one of my favorite ports for it's beautiful beach as well.

Progreso would give you the options of Mayan ruins or the architecture in Merida and Cozumel has plenty of stuff to do.

Given what you've said, I'd go with the Elation. I'm going back to Mexico in a little over 2 weeks :) Can't wait.

And leave the car seat behind unless you plan on renting a vehicle. I don't think I've ever seen a seatbelt on a tour bus on an excursion but then again..I've never looked for them.

One more that we might consider, though it is a bit further, is one less day than the other, and will not have the fun ship 2.0 amenities. On the good side we will hit Key West and Cozumel.

Carnival Ecstasy - Key West/Cozumel/At Sea

Have travelled all over with my kids, now 12 and 14. But we took them lots of places as babies and young children. I would leave the carseat as u probably won't be able to use it. I know it is a little scary, so you just need to decide if you are comfortable with it. Most taxis won't have seat belts and if they do the driver wont be happy about u trying to get the car seat positioned in the taxi. You may be more comfortable in a van or shuttle.

If you are super concerned, maybe make reservations ahead of time with a private driver and tell them what you need.

We always just bit the bullet and tried to take bus or van transportation.

Also, you can leave your little one on the ship in port. We did that many times, when we weren't sure they would enjoy the port. They really loved the kids clubs, even when they were little. I think it was comforting for them to have a place with counselors they got to know quite well. The counselors feed them meals and take good care of them. I think my kids had more fun at camp than in port when they were little.

Good luck to you, I know it's so hard when you have little ones to figure it all out, but you will. Have a great time!

Thanks for all of the info, what a great site!!

We are in east Tennessee, and wanted to keep the driving to 9 hours. But if we open that up some we can hit Miami and get some real cruises. I have family that live near Savannah GA so we could bunk there for a night if needed. That, with all of the recommendations above, and realizing Fun Ship 2.0 would be nice, but it is not everything I have came up with a new list.

Carnival Ecstasy -Key West/Cozumel/At Sea

Carnival Freedom - Nassau/Half Moon Cay/Grand Turk Island/At Sea

Carnival Victory - At Sea/Grand Turk Island/Half Moon Island/Nassau

Carnival Victory - Key West/Cozumel/At Sea

We are in east Tennessee, and wanted to keep the driving to 9 hours. But if we open that up some we can hit Miami and get some real cruises. I have family that live near Savannah GA so we could bunk there for a night if needed. That, with all of the recommendations above, and realizing Fun Ship 2.0 would be nice, but it is not everything I have came up with a new list.

Pick the Carnival Freedom. It will get all of the 2.0 upgrades by then. Plus, It has Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk, It doesn't get much better than that :)

For your wants, the Victory - Key West and Cozumel would be my choice.

There's really a lot of history in Key West (it took us going with our daughter, after 5 other trips to Key West, to finally do tours. Hemingway house, she can look at all the kitties while you walk through. There's the lighthouse. There's the shipwreck museum, there's the conch tour trolley that you take around the island and get a tour. (you wouldn't need car seat for those)

Cozumel also has some tours. We did a personal tour with a company that supplied a driver. Through email we told ahead what we wanted to see, etc, and had a great tour. we saw some ruins, we saw beautiful scenery on the other side of the island, stopped at bar on beautiful cliffs for a drink, learned about many different things, etc. It was great! And I'm guessing if you contact them directly, you could find out if they'd have a car seat, and that would avoid the need for that there, too.

My wife is a bit uneasy about going to Mexico, she thinks of Juarez when she thinks Mexico. I told her Cozumel is an island that is safer than any of the mid size and lager cities in our state. I know that is like comparing Jekyll Island to Detroit, and I think I can get her to at least consider it, Progreso I am not sure about.

Lets drop the Ecstasy off of the list, now I am left with:

I am leaning towards the second Victory cruise listed. With that one we get an historic stop along with a great beach stop, with a downside of only being 4 nights. The Elation would be a close second for the same reasons as above, history and beach. The first Victory and Freedom would would be a tie for third.

My wife is a bit uneasy about going to Mexico, she thinks of Juarez when she thinks Mexico. I told her Cozumel is an island that is safer than any of the mid size and lager cities in our state. I know that is like comparing Jekyll Island to Detroit, and I think I can get her to at least consider it, Progreso I am not sure about.

I am leaning towards the second Victory cruise listed. With that one we get an historic stop along with a great beach stop, with a downside of only being 4 nights. The Elation would be a close second for the same reasons as above, history and beach. The first Victory and Freedom would would be a tie for third.

Drop the Elation and drop the first Victory off of your list. I would choose the 2nd victory or the Freedom. If I were in your situation, I would choose the Freedom, but that is just me. The Freedom will go in for a 50 day dry dock in March to May 2014 and will receive all 2.0 upgrades and possible waterworks and ropes course.

The entire Yucatan is very safe, even Progreso. It's no different from saying all of Michigan is dangerous because Detroit is here. This part of Mexico relies so much on tourism, they can't afford to let crime be an issue. We just spent over a week in Mexico last month and had NO trouble wandering the streets of Playa Del Carmen, taking the ferry to Cozumel, making our way around there..all on our own. Not once did I worry about my safety.

Both of your top two cruises stop in Coz. The other two ports have very different historical attractions so consider what type of history you want to experience most. And then..look at which port of embarkation will be more convenient for driving/parking.

I'd personally prefer one more day on a boat but that's just me :)

My wife and took a cruise on the Carnival Sensation two years ago and loved most every part of it, but we really did not care for Freeport. While she loves the beach, we prefer history and scenery over activities, going to St Augustine next week and would take that over Panama City every time. We are looking at taking another cruise next year, late summer/early fall time period, and have decided to stay with Carnival for this trip for a variety of reasons. We want a 4-5 night cruise with at least two stops, other than Freeport. For budget reasons we will drive, based on that I have narrowed down the ports to Charleston, Jacksonville, New Orleans, and Port Canaveral. We also want a Fun Ship 2.0 ship, so that leaves us with the Carnival Elation(getting upgraded early next year), Carnival Liberty, and the Carnival Sunshine. While the Carnival Liberty and Carnival Sunshine have stops in Freeport, but they also have two other stops, so we will just treat it as a day at sea.

Just looking at some thoughts on these ships and itineraries.

Another consideration would be that we would have 2.5 year old daughter going with us. We found out we were expecting after booking the cruise. I have read wonderful thinks about Camp Carnival, but I am worried on what to do when we are at the ports. I know most shuttles and buses do not have seat belts, so I am not sure if we should bring a car seat or not.

I haven't cruised (yet) so I don't have anything to contribute regarding those questions, but I hope you enjoy St. Augustine! DH and I were married there in May and spent a week in an inn downtown... absolutely LOVED it! Perfect combo of history, charm, scenery, and touristy things :) Enjoy!

Archived