seasickness in the med?

Our daughter gets seasick usually when we are in the caribbean or rougher water. We are sailing on August 6th on the Splendour of the Sea Med. west cruise. Can anyone let me know how the water is in the med, I've read other posts stating it is fairly calm,:D

Just back from splendour on the med. I have got sea sick in the past but nothing this time. I took seabands with me but they were actually cheaper to buy on the ship. Another good tip - if you put newspaper under you it is supposed to work relly well - no white trousers though!

Our daughter gets seasick usually when we are in the caribbean or rougher water. We are sailing on August 6th on the Splendour of the Sea Med. west cruise. Can anyone let me know how the water is in the med, I've read other posts stating it is fairly calm,:D

Our family also just got back from the Splendour and we were all absolutely fine until the last day at sea. We ran into what the captain called "Mistral" winds (up to 50 mph) on the way to and from Sardinia, where we made an unexpected stop to drop off a passenger who needed medical attention. Don't know if this change of course put us in the situation, or if we would have been affected by the Mistral winds on our planned course anyway, but waves were literally splashing over the 4th deck. The ship even set out sick bags on the banisters of the stairs. All five of us took Bonine and it helped most of us, but our teenage son and 21-year old daughter both felt ill that evening. It definitely made the "relaxing" day at sea a little tougher.

We got back from a Med cruise in May. We were all seasick going through the Bay of Biscay on the outward journey despite taking pills and wearing bands. However on the homeward journey we were all fine so you never can tell !

We were on the same cruise as dmh515 and, yes, it was extremely rough on the way back to Barcelona. My son studies meteorology and says that the Mistral winds are difficult to predict in advance, and they often begin unexpectedly. They come south from France, so we would have hit them even if we hadn't stopped in Corsica. They usually only last one day, but can last up to three days on occasion. Fortunately, none of our group felt sick or had to take any medication, but I did hear of lots of others getting seasick. The Mistral winds are more common in the winter, so they don't usually affect summertime cruises in the Mediterranean. But, there are always exceptions - like our cruise!

Linda

wE hit the Mistral winds on the last night of the Grand Princess sailing into Barcleona in August 1999. Hard to sleep as the boat was moving around a lot. The rest of the curise was a mill pond.

Last year in late September on the Millinium is was a bit rocky from Rome to Livorno due to a little storm. Other wise I have been on 5 Med. cruises and have had no other even mildy rocky weather. Always take Bonine just in case. I recently went on a small boat from sEattle to Victoria Canada. crossing the straits of Juan de Fuca was really bouncy!!!!

I looked up the mistral winds and they usually hit in December through April but you can't control Mother nature. Thanks for the heads up as we will be on the Splendor this August.

I wear sea bands (accupressure points) on my wrist whenever there is movement on a ship and they work like a charm.

j

One suggestion about sea bands. I agree that they work well, but they work best if you put them on in anticipation of rough seas. Once you are seasick, they are not as effective.

Kahty

Archived