goverment shutdown affect passport

Big2Little4me

Sent my moms application last Friday and received the new passport yesterday. So no, they are not closed.

As posted by others, if the passport office is in a Federal building and the employees cannot access their office then those applications can't be processed. So not sure it's accurate to say that they are not closed - some may be.

Rather than speculate or believe the evening news, how about asking the State Department? Oh wait, here's what their website says:

• In the event of a lapse in appropriations, the Department of State will continue passport and visa operations as well as provide critical services to U.S. citizens overseas.
  • Processing time for passport applications remain at four weeks or less for routine service and two weeks door-to-door for expedited service.

Need more?

ROUTINE SERVICE

As of ( Sunday October 6, 2013 ), we are processing routine applications in an average of 4 weeks or less from the time of application.

EXPEDITED SERVICE

As of ( Sunday October 6, 2013 ), we are processing requests for expedited service in an average of 2 weeks door-to-door, when overnight delivery is requested and paid for both ways (to and from the passport agency)*.

Need even MORE???

My own passport is in the process of getting new pages added. I checked for the status online and guess what? I got this message:

Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book! It is currently being processed.

Your passport application locator number is xxxxxxxxx.

And I can expect it to be returned within the standard processing time -- because that is the message I just got from the State Department -- which is open for passport processing.

Want to know about regional passport offices? Yes, the Houston passport agency is temporarily closed. How do I know this? It's posted on the State Department website. All of the other ones are open.

Whoever has a passport application in process -- go online and get a status update. It's simple. But I guess it's more fun to wildly speculate, I'd rather get the facts from the source.

Archived