Live from the Musica

AmoMondo

Enjoying your review, we returned home on October 2nd from our btb cruises on the Orchestra and Fantasia. With baggage allowances we don't pack the formal clothes we used to, but noticed that with 1st seating we were dressed the same as most others. The longer the trip the more selective we have to be with packing.

Since we headed further south, the weather has taken a turn for the worst:(. It's really cold and I've not packed enough warm clothes. So I've bought the express laundry package for up to 20 items throughout the cruise for €40. As long as I give it to my cabin steward by 9am, I get it back the same day (around 5pm). The regular (next day service is €24.

Also on Saturday we arrived Instanbul to rain and the prospect of a top temperature of just 12C. I had planned on going to an old Hamam the Cemberlitas but changed my mind as I could not face coming out with damp hair in the cold. I'd read about the Astra bazaar where there is supposedly a great shop called Jennifer's Hamam selling hand loomed towels and other high quality linens. I grabbed a taxi at the port and got a fixed fare of 40TL which was very reasonable considering how bad the traffic was. My driver offered to come back for me telling me that many drivers could not be trusted, I should have listened to him. On my previous trips I had not had any issues using taxis and I wasn't sure how long I was going to be?the minute I left the tai! I was pounced on my local shopkeepers all trying to sell me a great carpet - do they not understand airlines checked baggage allowances? Anyway they were so insistent or rather just plain annoying, I was pretty. Loses to losing my temper, so gave up on the small bazaar without finding the shop I wanted and headed up the steps which take you to the Blue Mosque. I'd been in before, so just took a few pictures from the outside. Across the road from the mosque is the beautiful Aya Sofia which I'd also visited before. There are also the Ottoman Hamamatsu and public toilets. There are trams running past this nice open area and across the street and a hundred yards or so is the entrance to the cisterns. I was going to walk to the Grand bazaar but it started raining again. I saw a taxi and grabbed him. He said he would put the meter on because of the traffic. The fare back cost 86TL. I gave him what I thought was 90TL but he passed it back immediately saying I'd given him just 45. It was not until I'd left the taxi, I realised he'd swapped a 50 for a 5. So all be warned. Double. Heck what you hand over and count it out to them.to add insult to injury, he'd dropped me at P&O's Arcadia rather than the Musica.there were 5 ships docked and my ship was at the other end. At first the border guard said he could not let me in and suggested I take a taxi to the other end of the dock! but when I said I'd had enough of taxis for one day and I'd rather walk! eh let me through and I trailed back to the ship, not a particularly happy camper! Istanbul is a wonderful, vibrant city so don't let me put you off. I've been several times before and really enjoyed the visit and it's amazing sights. Luck was just against me on this occasion.due to being in port all day, dinner was put back on both sittings by half an hour, to allow us to view the passage out of the Bosphorous Strait. We did not sail on time, as many of the excursion buses arrived back late due to the traffic. So by the time we eventually sailed, it was getting quite dark and very cold, so didn't spend long out on my balcony to view the sailaway.

Next day was Yalta and we'd all hoped for a change in the wether. Well we got it but not in the direction we wanted, it had dropped to just 8 and although not raining, there was a dampness in the air.evidently it is not unusual for temperatures to be in the low 20s in October. Many wanted to go to the libidinal pLace but the Government had scheduled a meeting that day so was not open to the public. A couple at my table got a taxi driver to take them there and back for 50 HRY (about £5) and they were allowed in the grounds. I made do with a brisk walk past the fun fair and along the dark coloured pebble beach. Some madman was parading around in swimming trunks having just got out the sea. Everyone else was wrapped up in numerous layers as the prevailing wind made it seem even colder. It was a bit of a surreal place. Constant public announcements in Russian! grand Renaissance style buildings rubbing shoulders with concrete blocks from the communist era! almost no signs whatsoever in English and a McDonalds! I traced my way back to the ship walking back along the esplanade rather than the beach. There were a mixture of stalls selling really low quality stuff and high end grand looking stores. I'm sure it would be a much liver place when the sun shines.

At dinner last night, we had a lovely surprise. The older Liberpool couple at our table were celebrating their 47th wedding anniversary, so had laid on several bottles of fizz for all of us and ordered a chocolate cake for dessert. It was a delightful evening and I'm so pleased they enjoyed it. Odessa has a special meaning for them (not entirely sure why) but they'd arranged to be taken to the town hall and be met by The Lord Mayor for some kind of ceremony. I'm really looking forward to dinner tonight, to hear all about it.

Today, it's Monday and we arrived early in Odessa. Yet another cold day but slightly warmer than Yalta - back to 12C. The ship docks quite near the famous Potemkin steps. You basically exit the terminal, head over a bridge, down a ramp and cross the road using an underpass and you're there. There is a funicular that runs a from 10.00-18.00. It cost 2HRY and they don't take euros. I along with countless others had no local currency and there wasn't anywhere nearby exchanging currency. There is an exchange in the terminal, so get local currency there if you want to use the funicular. I didn't want to waste time going back, so plodded up the countless steps (well 192 actually, first flight is 12 followed by 9 times 20). This brings you out to the entrance to the rather magnificent old town. There are the usual horse and carriage rides you see almost everywhere although I was impressed at the condition of the pairs of greys. There are also little electric mini bus things doing a city tour. It was only 10€, so decided to give it a go. Our guide, Natalie conducted the tour in English and she was most certainly knowledgeable. We passed the famous londska hotel! City Hall, opera house and many grand boulevards and buidlings. We then left the bus for around 10 minutes for a walk over the Mother-in-Law Brisge to see a palace and some other points of interest. Then back on the bus to see some more interesting sights including the statue of Catherine the great with her favourite 4 who founded the elegant Baroque city. I thought the tour was well worth the money and gave an excellent overview of the historic centre, it's history and a bit ofan insight to the rather unique humour of the people of Odessa. I really enjoyed my visit to this port. On the return to the terminal I picked up a couple of Russian dolls(they started at just €4 rising to 7 for the largest ones. Also picked up a beautiful doll in Ukrainian dress for my mother (as she collects dolls). It was 22€ but really not a bad proce considering the size and quality.

So tonight will be our second gala dinner. I was supposedi to be dining with some of the officers but declined as I'd rather spend the evening at my own table and hear all about the ceremony in the Town Hall.

So that's me up to speed with my not so live blogging!i will endeavour to do better therest of this cruise!

Apart from the weather it sounds like an interesting cruise so far ... :D

i remember when we visited Istanbul on the Mariner we were also at the far end of the pier and walked along the dock towards the bridge past the other ships with no problem, walking back was a different story and a hell of a long walk round .. :(

Well after my first visit to l'enoteca wine bar, I'm inc much more mellow mood. The wines by the glass are not included with the basic Allegrissimo but it was well worth the €5.75 for the excellent Barbera red I had. Loved the little selection of nibbles that was served with it: salami, black olives, walnuts, marinated bell pepper wrapped around tuna, focaccia and 3 different cheeses. So now it's time to hit the shower and get the posh frock and bling on.

Mairi ... Was that because it is the Wine Bar ? just looked at the Alegrissimo details on the UK site and this is what it says below, is the cruise you are on not one of those listed below ?

I still cannot understand how the Divina repo is not a voyage to a Winter destination!

Unlimited consumption of a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages including wine by the glass (white, red, rosé and sparkling chosen from the “Allegrissimo Selection”), draught beer, soft drinks, mineral water, hot drinks and a wide selection of drinks and cocktails from the bar list, as well as take away ice-cream in a cone or cup. The drinks included in package can be consumed in all bars and restaurants, including the à la carte restaurants and themed venues. Mini Bars and Mineral water in cabins are excluded

* This offer is available on selected departures (Mediterranean, Northern Europe, Canary Islands, United Arab Emirates, Antilles and MSC Grand Voyage to winter destinations). The package must be booked before departure. It is valid for every day of the cruise and cannot be purchases on a daily basis. The package must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or just travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table, including minors, who must book the Child version of the package. The package is not obligatory for Infants (under 3 years of age). Drinks from the mini-bar and water provided in your cabin are not included. Other excluded items are detailed in the onboard Bar List. The price of the package applies to each day of the cruise except the day of disembarkation.

Mairi ... Was that because it is the Wine Bar ? just looked at the Alegrissimo details on the UK site and this is what it says below, is the cruise you are on not one of those listed below ?

I still cannot understand how the Divina repo is not a voyage to a Winter destination!

Unlimited consumption of a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages including wine by the glass (white, red, rosé and sparkling chosen from the “Allegrissimo Selection”), draught beer, soft drinks, mineral water, hot drinks and a wide selection of drinks and cocktails from the bar list, as well as take away ice-cream in a cone or cup. The drinks included in package can be consumed in all bars and restaurants, including the à la carte restaurants and themed venues. Mini Bars and Mineral water in cabins are excluded

* This offer is available on selected departures (Mediterranean, Northern Europe, Canary Islands, United Arab Emirates, Antilles and MSC Grand Voyage to winter destinations). The package must be booked before departure. It is valid for every day of the cruise and cannot be purchases on a daily basis. The package must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or just travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table, including minors, who must book the Child version of the package. The package is not obligatory for Infants (under 3 years of age). Drinks from the mini-bar and water provided in your cabin are not included. Other excluded items are detailed in the onboard Bar List. The price of the package applies to each day of the cruise except the day of disembarkation.

No because it was the wine bar as such, I dare say I could have ordered a wine that was included but there is an extensive selection and most aren't included. I knew that when I ordered it. Strangely enough they didn't. Barge for the 2 wines I had in the a la carte and they definitely were not the Allegrissimo ones.

For everyone's next visit to Istanbul, I'd suggest using the tram. There are two stops within a couple minutes' walk from both port entrances and while street traffic can be completely tied up, the tram will fly from the port area across the Galata bridge and to Eminou (Bosphorus cruises, spice market, Blue Mosque, Santa Sofia, etc.) in abour four minutes for a cost of only 3 TL. The only problem is to have three one TL coins to put into the token machine at the tram stops. The trams are new and very comfortable although depending on the hour there may be wall-to-wall people on board.

Well after my first visit to l'enoteca wine bar, I'm inc much more mellow mood. The wines by the glass are not included with the basic Allegrissimo but it was well worth the €5.75 for the excellent Barbera red I had. Loved the little selection of nibbles that was served with it: salami, black olives, walnuts, marinated bell pepper wrapped around tuna, focaccia and 3 different cheeses. So now it's time to hit the shower and get the posh frock and bling on.

Just wondering is the premium allgresimo included in the wine bar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Monday evening

This was our second gala night. Not so many people had dressed up as for the first evening. Had planned on going to the show which was called From Russia with Love but didn't get ready in time. One of the couples at my table went and they said it was an amazing display of strength and gymnastic ability. So far I've only made it to the classical concert which was great. I really don't like the show being 75 minutes before dinner, wish they'd revert to it being after dinner. Everyone was in a good mood at dinner after all having had a great day in Odessa. Roger and Mary showed us their photos taken at their ceremony with The Lord Mayor. For dinner I had the beef carpaccio, pumpkin and ginger soup and the sirloin( slightly tough) and finished up with rum and raisin ice cream.

Tuesday Morning

Thankfully slightly warmer at 15C and what a welcome we got as we slid into our mooring. Local band (could have been military they were that smartly turned out) playing a medley of Romanian and well known tunes outside the terminal along with some local dignatories. Constanta obviously welcomes cruise ships! Any way we all enjoyed their performance and almost everyone in a balcony port side was out applauding them.

The terminal looks new and spotless but is around 15-20 minute drive from the city centre. MSC were providing a shuttle bus service into town for €6.90, so I decided to use that. Tickets were available up until 10am from the excursion office then from reception after that. I went to reception at 10.10 and had about a 5 minute wait go get my ticket. By the time I left reception! the queue for tickets was winding its way around the atrium, so I'd recommend getting your ticket before 10.

I headed outside where yo had to pass through passport control just inside he terminal, it was very quick and welcoming. Other countries immigration officials could take lessons from Constanta's. Coaches were waiting just outside the exit and I was quickly on a bus and on my way into town. The shuttle bus is met by a lady from the tourist board handing out street maps. stops at the Tomis mall and around the corner from a pedestrian precinct with lots of modern shops and benches. Unfortunately one side of the pedestrianised zone was dug up with some major construction ongoing, so not so easy to access shops on the right hand side, nor would it have been pleasant go use the benches, unless you have a fascination for construction guys at work!

First of all I crossed the street and headed down a tree lined road. The pavement was really rough going and the road didn't look much better. There were lots of gypsies hanging around, old ladies shuffling around wearing wooly caps or headscarves and an overall sense of glom, doom and decay. Shops looked pretty grotty and there were also a few street traders. The road led to an open market area and it looked like something straight from the Communist era. I was pretty much feeling like going straight back to the bus by now. What few buildings were older and probably used to have some character were dilapidated and most boarded up. The newer buildings were just very ugly and depressing concrete blocks. The place felt like a dump and it's inhabitants looked fairly miserable too.

Once I got back to the bus stop, I thought I might as well have a look at the mall and the street around the corner. I slaked up for about a mile and it was definitely a vast improvement from the area I had just been in. Things were newer and better kept. Never seen so many banks in a square mile before. One or 2 were in grander older buildings. There were some little landscaped areas off of the main street and some of the newer buildings had a bit more style and design to them rather than being utilitarian concrete monstrosities. On my way back, I popped into the Mall which was not large but had some nice shops - mainly clothes and jewellery but also some well known names like Ecco shoes (loved their boots, but I could get them at home) and Sephora ( I managed to resist!). There was a food court area complete with a McDonald's on the upper floor and also WCs on. 2 floors. They looked to be a better option than the public facilities in an underpass just outside the centre.

I'd originally intended to go and look at the Roman Mosaics but according to the free map they looked to be nearer the port and far too far away to walk. I called it a day at that point and took the next shuttle bus back. We saw a few interesting buildings on the route back but we'd all been spoiled by the grandeur of Odessa the day before. In the terminal they have a couple if souvenir shops selling the usual tshirts etc. there was however a lovely stand selling hand made arts and craft (wood and ceramics) from Cucuteni (an ancient civilisation from NE Romania). Each piece bears the signature of the artist who produced it. The pottery pieces although new are made using the Neolithic style and method. Prices were reasonable for such lovely and unusually pieces. Certainly the best shop I'd seen all day.

Made it back in time for lunch in the MDR, then had a coffee in the cassata bar before heading to my balcony. My cabin 10075, is on an angle at the end of the front hump and as a result I have a much larger almost triangular shaped balcony. The left hand side is probably the same width a as all the others, but the right hand side is half as wide again. The angle also means that the sun angles in well and I coin move around to get the most of it! I'd recommend this cabin. It's not quite been swimsuit weTher today, but nevertheless lovely to sit out in the sunshine for a few hours.

For everyone's next visit to Istanbul, I'd suggest using the tram. There are two stops within a couple minutes' walk from both port entrances and while street traffic can be completely tied up, the tram will fly from the port area across the Galata bridge and to Eminou (Bosphorus cruises, spice market, Blue Mosque, Santa Sofia, etc.) in abour four minutes for a cost of only 3 TL. The only problem is to have three one TL coins to put into the token machine at the tram stops. The trams are new and very comfortable although depending on the hour there may be wall-to-wall people on board.

Excellent suggestion Chuck and one I'll be sure to follow on my next visit.

A couple at my table also had problems with their DIY arrangements. They'd bought tickets for the HOHO bus online 2 weeks ago. When they found the HOHO bus stop, they were told they would need to buy new tickets S they no longer dealt with the company selling the tickets online. Arrangement had ceased 4 weeks ago they said. On the way back after their bus trip, they had quite a way to go to get back to the ship and tried to get a taxi but the driver refused to take them, saying it would cost him more in fuel because if the traffic than what he'd get for the fare,

The trams looked lovely and modern and seemed to be running frequently.

Hi Mari your review is getting me so excited for my trip on the orchestra !! I've started to pack but I'm wondering do I need to bring a hairdryer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

No, they have one in the dressing table drawer. Not that powerful and it's the type that you have to continually press in the button for it to work. It's not as good as what I use at home but does the job.

Mari give me some great tips for excursions for brazil!,,Recife maiceo,Salvador de Bahai

I'm desperate for your guidance also mum says she will pay for worthwhile tours for some belated birthday prezzies ;)

Wednesday was yet another at sea day and the weather had warmed up to 18. Had a lazy breakfast in the MDR before heading to my balcony to read in the sunshine. There was land in sight fairly frequently and my triangle balcony was a most enjoyable sun trap.

After lunch I decided to be brave and get my swimsuit on and head up on deck for a bit of sunbathing. It was fine for the first couple of hours but the wind became too cool after that, so clothes back on and using my towel as a shawl, I went and had a cappuccino to warm me up.

It was yet another gala evening tonight (not sure why they didn't have it on Thursday as weasel lying in Gythion until lunch time). I like many on the ship have developed a very annoying dry thickly cough, so was not feeling in the mood for dinner in the MDR, the baked Alaska procession etc. I nipped down to the medical centre to get something to stop me coughing as much, so I'd be able to sleep. Then went to the buffet for dinner. There was a steady stream of passengers, most very casually dressed obviously wanting to skip the formal dinner, but strangely enough I saw a few dressed to the nines which I thought strange. Perhaps they were up for a pre or post dinner cuppa or snack. I thought the evening buffet fairly uninspiring and not a patch on the MDR. Had asparagus soup which was nice but the mains were not great. Had a bit of pasta a bit of roast pork and some veggies. This was my first and last dinner buffet!

Thursday

At anchor at Gythion. I had a tender ticket for the first boat at 8.30 (club perk) so didn't have to go to the wine bar to get a tender ticket. I got down to breakfast at what I thought was opening time at 7.30. It appeared we'd docked early and the tenders also started earlier than expected. Went back to my room to pick up my camera and purse and slap on some sunscreen, by this point, they were calling tender numbers 15 & 16. It was only then I realised that I'd put my watch back an hour the previous night in error! That will teach me not to read the actual date of the time change, so it was an hour later than I thought! Good news for everyone was they were rattling through the tenders at a great rate. The officer checking tickets at the top of the stairs had a good laugh at me turning up with boat 1 ticket when they were on 21. Told her that's what happens when you put your watch vac a day too early!

It's a short ride across to the tender drop off point and what a delightful pLace Gythion is (particularly after the doom and gloom of Constanta). Spent Round 2.5 hours walking along the bay in one direction, then along the other and over a wee causeway to an island with a couple of houses and a gorgeous little Greek Orthodox style church (not open). I also took a hike up on of the roads heading uphill for lovely views over the bay and also saw another 2 churches in a completely different style from the one on the island. Also found a pharmacy and stocked up on cheap antibiotics, just in case. I really wish we'd had much longer here. There were just so many lovely waterfront cafes and restaurants where I'd have loved to have a nice long lunch at but not possible with the last tender back to the ship at 13.00.

Last night I sent my remaining allocation of my package forge laundry and my steward has just handed it in just before 13.00 today. That was really quick (4 hours early) and it's going to be nice to go home with a case of clean clothes rather than a pile of laundry to do.

Mari give me some great tips for excursions for brazil!,,Recife maiceo,Salvador de Bahai

I'm desperate for your guidance also mum says she will pay for worthwhile tours for some belated birthday prezzies ;)

I did the 5 hour Olinda and Recife tour which was really good and with there being a marathon on that day! would never have managed to see so much in the time otherwise. The views from up in Olinda are fantastic and there is time to walk around. Bit. They then take you past all the beaches and then in to the historic heart of the city which was grander than I'd expected. We finished up at an old gaol that had been converted to a market. The tours for Brazil are quite cheap about $25. Rio is far more expensive though,

You don't need a tour in Sala for, it's easy Peary on your own, come out the terminal turn right, walk around 100 yards until you are at the market building (mercato modelo). Once you've had a look in there, go out the back door and you'll see the public elevators to take you up to the old town (barrio alto). Just wander around the lovely colourful buildings and churches.

Not been to maceio,

Hi Amo.

I totally agree with you about Gythion. A charming little town barely touched by tourism (yet) the lunch we had at the harbour was one of the highlights of our cruise.

How was the experience of the medical center? And what was the charge :o

Hi Amo.

I totally agree with you about Gythion. A charming little town barely touched by tourism (yet) the lunch we had at the harbour was one of the highlights of our cruise.

How was the experience of the medical center? And what was the charge :o

The doctor and nurse were both very nice - doctor was in his gala dinner outfit! it cost €60 for a visit but if I don't get better! I can have another visit with no further charge. The 2 different medicines he gave me were €5.

Hi Mairi ... Are the medicines working on the cough yet? sincerely hope so ... :D

Yes thankfully, only coughing and spluttering every 20 minutes or so instead of every 2 minutes! Around half the passengers seem to be similarly afflicted - I blame Yalta!

Thank you for the updates. Now you are really really making me want to cruise Europe on MSC. I will make this happen.:)

Keep your eyes peeled for bargains. There can be dramatic fluctuations in prices depending on the week and the port you embark at. For example £590 30 Aug boarding genoa! same cabin! but boarding a few days later in I oza more than £2100, likewise the week before out of genoa. So try different embarkation ports

Archived