Juneau - Mt. Roberts or Mendenhall

Stachi

We'll be in Juneau from 7am-4pm and are going on a Glacier Dogsled Adventure via Helicopter (Four Glaciers) from 10am - 1:15pm. What is the best use of our remaining time in the afternoon - Mt. Roberts or Mendenhall? In other words, if I never make it back there, which one would I regret not seeing? Or should we hit the Alaska Brewing company and do the beer tasting tour and eat lunch at someplace fabulous instead (if we will have seen the same views as Mt. Roberts on our flightseeing tour and enough other glaciers elsewhere)? We've only got 2.5 hours; we don't want to be rushed but certainly don't want to put ourselves in a position of missing our boat!

Stachi,

I don't think that you will have time to do the Mendenhall glacier. While I think that it is a worthy trip, you will only have a few minutes of actually time there with the schedule that you posted. If I were to try to fit in another tour it would be the Mt. Roberts tramway. Don't buy your ticket so that you aren't out any $$, if you decide to opt out of going. The Mt. Roberts tramway was within a block of where our ship docked, but that might not be the case in your situation.

Deb

It may not be anything you want to do, but we are going to visit the Glacier Gardens ($20 admission) where you drive an electric car about a mile thru interesting gardens to an observation point. You can spend as much time or as little as you want, but they say it's usually l hr. I understand it is on the bus route (the local bus route which charges $1.50) which can take you back to the ship.

And if your ship leaves at 4, they like you to be back on board at 3:30.

If you are able to, do the Mt Roberts tram - but keep in mind that sometimes the line will be long waiting for the tram - even though you buy your tickets right at the booth at the pier. Two and a half hours free time from your first tour will not give you very much time to do Mt Roberts tram and have lunch.

Why not not just go to the Red Dog Saloon and have a great lunch and join in the fun there???

on your decision. If it is reasonably sunny, Mt. Roberts. Otherwise, Mendenhall might be nice. Given the short amount of time you would have left (and the $ you just dropped) a walking tour of Juneau might be the ticket.

Maybe I missed somehting, or things have changed since I was there in 2002, but was not really impressed with the Mt. Roberts tram. It cost $20 for the ride, saw a short video, and a browse through their gift shop, which had the same tacky sort of souveniers every other shop had (was really hoping to find something unique, possibly made by local artists).

I like the idea of going to the Red Dog Saloon, maybe after brwoing through Juneau's state museum, which after you finish, you can easily walk to the main street. The museum provides free locker space with your own key, so if you are carring anything like a tote, or anything cumbersome, you can easily unload it, and have a nice browse through the museum.

Maybe I missed somehting, or things have changed since I was there in 2002, but was not really impressed with the Mt. Roberts tram. It cost $20 for the ride, saw a short video, and a browse through their gift shop, which had the same tacky sort of souveniers every other shop had (was really hoping to find something unique, possibly made by local artists).

I like the idea of going to the Red Dog Saloon, maybe after brwoing through Juneau's state museum, which after you finish, you can easily walk to the main street. The museum provides free locker space with your own key, so if you are carring anything like a tote, or anything cumbersome, you can easily unload it, and have a nice browse through the museum.

I guess you didn't miss anything, the tram isn't meant as another conveyance to shopping, in even more gift shops. The tram, on a clear day, leads to great views, a chance at seeing wildlife and some nice walking trails. I would rather be visually taking in Alaska and all of it's outside beauty than visiting museums, shops, etc., all of which I could do at home...........to each his/her own.:)

You didn't walk around or do any hiking? The trails have been there for years, so nothing has changed, maybe you just missed them?

The Mt. Robert's trails are just excellent, if you care to go on them. :) But you don't have time really for Mendenhall since you need an hour of shuttle time in addition. The brewery is also not in town, so you would need a cab if that is a priority? Plenty to see and do right downtown Juneau if desired. Pick up a walking tour map at the dock visitor center and get past the shops. :)

The brewery is out a bit and you would need a cab and if you want to do the brewery, I'd suggest doing it on your own. The individual attention you get when you are not part of a bus "throng" is great!

The beer is great (and hey 'I'm from Milwaukee, and I ought to know . . ." :D ) and they've got some nice label art which their gift shop has translated into some very nice items (t-shirts, glasses, the usual).

To each is own is right. Do you really think you haven't, or won't have seen enough views during the week's cruise that it's worth a $20 tram ride up to Mr. Roberts, especially after coming from Mendenhall Glacier? And what are you going to see in an Alaskan state museum that you have at home? I don't get that.

Do you really think you haven't, or won't have seen enough views during the week's cruise that it's worth a $20 tram ride up to Mr. Roberts, especially after coming from Mendenhall Glacier?

If I had seen enough views, I wouldn't have gone to Alaska three times. :D

I do, though, think Mt. Roberts is a little redundant if you're doing Grouse Mountain in Vancouver the same trip. Same with Mendenhall, if you're already seeing several other glaciers the same trip. It's good to mix it up a little.

Thanks for the input everyone! I think we'll put Mt. Roberts, walking around downtown / Red Dog Saloon, and the Brewery on our list and see what the weather is like and what we feel like doing at the time. I might actually give my husband and the friends we're with a chance to help decide too...;)

Since we booked our excursion with the cruise line, I'm assuming we'll be dropped back off at the dock - how far of a cab ride is it to the brewery from the docks? Also, what is so special to see downtown that makes it worth walking around?

Brewery is probably about seven miles from pier area.

ALASKAN BREWING COMPANY

5429 SHAUNE DR

Juneau, AK 99801

(907) 780-5866

the state capitol is not that great of a building. They do however have a very nice Russian Orthodox church tucked away up on 6th Street. Depends upon how far you'd like to walk.

What time does the tram up Mt Roberts stop running?

According to the information I have from several sources I believe to be reliable, the last tram down is at 9pm. But I don't have personal knowledge of that - not yet:D ! (We leave a week from tomorrow, & will be in Juneau on 7/24.)

We just returned Tuesday from Sun Princess. We took Capt Larry's whale watch tour and he then dropped us off at Mendenhall. I loved the glacier there!! It was much better than I expected! And my family of 5 took the Glacier Trail hiking trail for about 2-3 miles. It was gorgeous! Now, I am 58 and in fairly good shape and I got pretty tired doing the trek, but I'm so glad we finished the loop. The scenery was fantastic! We went quite a ways up on the mountain near the large waterfall, saw many beautiful creeks, plants, etc. If anyone wants any additional info, let me know.

Ticket Prices*

Adult: $23.95

Child 6-12: $12.50

Child 5 & Under: FREE

*Prices include local tax.

Tickets allow all day unlimited rides and include viewing of Seeing Daylight and the Juneau Raptor Center's live Bald Eagle exhibit. Allow a minimum of one hour for a complete tramway experience.

To request a brochure or for more information call 1-888-461-TRAM or write to us.

Season: May 8 to September 27**

Hours: Saturdays & Sundays: 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM

Mondays: 10:30 AM to 9:00 PM

Tuesday - Fridays: 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM

** In May and September hours and days of operation may vary depending on ship arrivals and departures

Archived