Cunard dress code

cruiser 101

I was wondering about that, too. A chemise is underwear/nightwear in my book. In French, it's a shirt with chemise de nuit being a nightshirt or short nightdress. I event went on Google.com and it still shows underwear or transparent/silky nightshirts.

Hi Persephone:

I believe, Jimsgirl, is referring to one of these types of patterns:

http://www.etsy.com/search/?includes%5B0%5D=tags&search_query=chemise+dress

I learned how to make this dress in Home Ec in the 60's and continued

to make it for many years after that as depending on the style you pick

it can be easy to sew and is very comfortable to wear.

The choice of materials, of course, allow it to have many different looks so it can be used for various occasions.

It's a very 'adaptable' dress and thanks to Jimsgirl, I think I will dust

my sewing machine off and make a few for our next cruise. They should

be very easy to pack.

best regards,

seasidegal

A chemise dress is exactly what Jimsgirl described. It's a loose fitting straight dress...like a shift. They later introduced the empire waist to this style. Very popular in the 60s and 70s in California. Now it's simply called a sheath and made with more elegant material. Why not simply take her word for it?

Good afternoon...

You beat me to it and were short and to point....something I have a real struggle doing. :eek::D

Yes, the Sheath ...very elegant.

Hope your day is going well,

seasidegal

A chemise dress is exactly what Jimsgirl described. It's a loose fitting straight dress...like a shift. They later introduced the empire waist to this style. Very popular in the 60s and 70s in California. Now it's simply called a sheath and made with more elegant material. Why not simply take her word for it?

I dunno...maybe 'cause some people pick knits, while others nit pick.

Not saying nuttin' about sheaths. Words are funny things :cool::D

Apparently, two public areas are now exempt from the dress code. Quoted from a recent QM2 Daily Programme: "Any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court buffet on deck 7 and relax in the Winter Garden..."
Hi Salacia,

Twice this year (in June, and again two days ago) I've stood next to the Ocean Terminal waiting to wave friends off on a QM2 WB crossing.

On both occasions, shortly after the muster-drill, I've heard an announcement that backs up what you say above. I can't remember the exact words, but after saying a little about that evening's dress code, it went on to say something on the lines of "Out of respect for your fellow passengers, will those wishing to wear casual clothing after 6 o'clock please use the Winter Garden Bar and Buffet area of the Kings Court on Deck 7, thank you", or something similar. I can only hope they enforce that...

Best wishes to you :) ,

Archived