Cunard dress code

cruiser 101

It is unclear from you posting exactly the type of shoes, pants and top you wish to wear.

If they are as follows then you would not have any problems :-

Shoes: evening type flat sandals - I wear this type of shoe

Pants:- evening type, soft material, plain black or dark single colour, maybe with chiffon overlay. Please do not think you can wear your regular jeans.

Top: Again one that can be described as for evening there are many suitable, chiffon, or prints with metallic thread, short or long sleeves. Not T shirt, sweat shirt , or shirts more suited for camping than dinner in the grills.

Bag:- Please make this a small clutch type not a big leather "carryall"

We joke about needing a fashion police, but seriously some passengers do think that be wearing an outfit more suited to going to the hardware store to buy a can of paint will do. I have seen hoodies, track suits, running shoes, even hiking boots worn with torn jeans.

No one insists on the full dress up that I do, but it is possible to be "dressed for dinner" without that- if you choose your shoes, pants, top , bag with thought

I'm full of admiration for your efforts to do what it takes to try to fulfil as best as can be managed given a budget, the limited aircraft luggage allowance , the ability to carry your luggage yourself when travelling alone and if I may also say all achieved at your age ! Well done Jimsgirl!

I wish some others would take the trouble to pack with such forethought when the majority , I'm sure , do not travel alone and do have some help to manage things.

I work lists out to fit with our restricted aircraft luggage weight and have to say I use that as part of "working up" to my trip.....knowing I have hopefully tried to be as appropriately turned out for the fairly simple dress code onboard as I can be .

This is an expensive style holiday and perhaps because it is costing me so much I want to think I'm correctly " suited and booted" for it.

I don't subscribe to the current celebrity fashion to look as if you are down to your last halfpenny wearing your (designer) torn jeans and matching scruffy T shirts at a dress- up "occasion" .Fortunately the Cunard dress code isn't abandoned altogether yet!

I also agree totally with Jimsgirl about those huge (filled with what?) bags you see women humping about on one arm ! Is it because it is the current celebrity fashion even given the possible physical harm that will probably result long term .... but what on earth either during the day or in the evening do you need to carry something that size for when you are only going around the ship ???????

I only take my doorkey/pass and perhaps a tissue or two and my glasses if I am not wearing them ,and possibly the programme sheet , because the cabin is only a few decks/ lift away if something else is needed. Maybe I'm not getting the picture here?

Anyway, I applaud you Jimsgirl!

I think Cunard dress code has a long way to go before it abandoned all together. As Lucky white heather comments above.

The dress code will always be there as far as I am concerned. I always dress up and never down!

I wear very formal long dresses that I design and I have them made just for me. As I am a regularly world cruiser I take up to 30 long evening gowns. I have 25 evening bags and around 30 pair of shoes. I never travel lite. I also have matching pashminas in fine cashmere/silk as it can be chilly in the MDR.

I am not into large bags and I agree with you on what on earth do people put in them. I like you carry a small casual bag around the ship with my key card and a book but many times I just take my key card and put it in a pocket.

I always dress for themed nights and wear the appropriate themed attire. It is good fun.

I think as long as there are people around like me and Jimsgirl and many others the dress code will stay one would hope?;)

I think Cunard dress code has a long way to go before it abandoned all together. As Lucky white heather comments above.

The dress code will always be there as far as I am concerned. I always dress up and never down!

I wear very formal long dresses that I design and I have them made just for me. As I am a regularly world cruiser I take up to 30 long evening gowns. I have 25 evening bags and around 30 pair of shoes. I never travel lite. I also have matching pashminas in fine cashmere/silk as it can be chilly in the MDR.

I am not into large bags and I agree with you on what on earth do people put in them. I like you carry a small casual bag around the ship with my key card and a book but many times I just take my key card and put it in a pocket.

I always dress for themed nights and wear the appropriate themed attire. It is good fun.

I think as long as there are people around like me and Jimsgirl and many others the dress code will stay one would hope?;)

How do you ladies feel about gentlemen in the formal dining rooms who comply with the regulations about wearing a jacket but decide not to wear a tie? On the recent 4 weeks QM2 voyage to USA/Canada it seemed that when, given the option. about 85% of men turned up in jackets or suits but with no tie.

As it takes only 30 seconds to slip on a tie is this asking too much and is it an indication that men are not too keen on dressing up without they have to? Would you prefer your dining companions to wear a tie or prefer them tieless?

How do you ladies feel about gentlemen in the formal dining rooms who comply with the regulations about wearing a jacket but decide not to wear a tie? On the recent 4 weeks QM2 voyage to USA/Canada it seemed that when, given the option. about 85% of men turned up in jackets or suits but with no tie.

As it takes only 30 seconds to slip on a tie is this asking too much and is it an indication that men are not too keen on dressing up without they have to? Would you prefer your dining companions to wear a tie or prefer them tieless?

I like the man to wear a tie even if they have the option not to, so I always ask my husband to pack a suitable /matching tie for each shirt for non-formals, and then we see on the night how he feels. I think it was perhaps the norm for people of our older age group to wear a shirt with tie when going out for an evening...so it's a habit that is perhaps ingrained .

The feeling he tries to describe to me is one of feeling slightly under-dressed when he doesn't wear a tie, but it also can depend on the type of shirt he's wearing. He feels some shirts look "acceptable" without a tie , and some just don't.

He doesn't look on having to pack / wear a tie as a big deal .

It depends on the jacket and shirt. A suit with no tie? No thank you. A beautiful jacket and casual shirt, absolutely great.

I have a question.

A male wearing a formal Nehru Shirt with a jeweled clasp over the neck button. Would that be considered formal with a Nehru jacket also ??

From Cunard's FAQ board:

Can I wear National Dress on a formal evening? Yes, this is fine, however please note that if wearing accessories such as ceremonial knives, then these must be imitation items.

From Cunard's FAQ board:

Can I wear National Dress on a formal evening? Yes, this is fine, however please note that if wearing accessories such as ceremonial knives, then these must be imitation items.

So my sword must stay at home but my Nehru may come along. Very well. thanks :)

If nothing else, please comply with the dress code out of respect for your fellow passengers, many of which are enjoying a once in a lifetime event.

Classiccruiser, I appreciate your compassionate plea, especially since I have also encountered several passengers who went to great lengths to enjoy their "once in a lifetime event".

But complying with the newly revised dress code is open to varied interpertation. For example, I have seen men wearing t-shirts and bomber jackets, and men sporting golf shirts and nylon windbreakers on Informal evenings in the MDR - either of which is in compliance with the dress code.

The Informal dress code for women also lends to a wide range of costumes.

Cunard muddled message is that the search for a new demographic is on. Will those of us who appreciated the more formal aspects of Cunard be able to hold the line? Or has that time passed?

Regards,

Salacia

.....I have seen men wearing t-shirts and bomber jackets, and men sporting golf shirts and nylon windbreakers on Informal evenings in the MDR - either of which is in compliance with the dress code.

Salacia

On your recent cruise did you see the person with the flowing Mohican haircut? That was a new one on me!

We have done a 14 day Hawaii cruise and a 14 day Norway cruise on Cunard and from my experience I would guess you will not be happy. We always complied with the dress code. We enjoy the leisurely dinner and conversation in the dining room and also the shows in the theatre and you are required to dress up for these. After about 7 days, I felt like I was playing dress up and it became a chore to put on suit for DH and stockings for myself, especially after a day of touring. I cannot imagine doing this for 78 days in a row.

Also, take a look at the activities on the ship. Both HAL and Cunard have bridge, lectures, similar type shows and nice libraries, Cunard activities tend to the more formal such as ballroom dancing, tea in the afternoon and their pool is not covered.

Looking at a 78 day cruise from FLL to FLL in 2015. Excited about the intenerary but concerned about sailing on the Queen Victoria, is she to formal for a 78 day cruise? The most formal we have been on is HAL and there are ways to get around those formal nights, can this be said about Cunard? Will we have to sail steerage?

As is mentioned there is formality whether in the Grills or Britannia levels. This is what makes Cunard special to us. If you won't do formal(and your blog kind of says that) I'd suggest doing another cruiseline. At the least, bring a decent sport coat/tie & decent shirts & slacks. This is not Carnival/RCCL/NCL. You can avoid suits & ties all together by doing Oceania. It's less formal but still pricey. It's a "foodies" line. You still need nice shirts, khackies,etc.

We have done a 14 day Hawaii cruise and a 14 day Norway cruise on Cunard and from my experience I would guess you will not be happy. We always complied with the dress code. We enjoy the leisurely dinner and conversation in the dining room and also the shows in the theatre and you are required to dress up for these. After about 7 days, I felt like I was playing dress up and it became a chore to put on suit for DH and stockings for myself, especially after a day of touring. I cannot imagine doing this for 78 days in a row.

Also, take a look at the activities on the ship. Both HAL and Cunard have bridge, lectures, similar type shows and nice libraries, Cunard activities tend to the more formal such as ballroom dancing, tea in the afternoon and their pool is not covered.

Hi EGG. Have you sailed on a Cunard ship since the dress code was revised? The majority of nights on any voyage are Informal. Yes, for men, that means wearing a jacket every night, and for women it means - well, whatever. Your husband does not need to wear a suit anymore than you need to wear stockings on Informal nights.

In no way is Formal dress required for 78 consecutive nights on any Cunard ship. Certainly, afternoon tea does not require formal dress. As for ballroom dancing, that's not my thing, but I can tell you that the Pavillion Pool on QM2 is an atrium with a retractable roof.

Believe me, I'm not trying to sell you on Cunard, anymore than you are trying to sell me on Holland America. But it is good to exchange the latest information, yes?

Best wishes,

Salacia

'

Cunard Platinum

HAL 2 star

Princess Gold

Hi Salacia, First I would like to say that I do like the ambiance on QE for a change of pace and that is why I did a second voyage with Cunard. I did sail on QE in June after the dress code change and the big difference is that there were a few days that DH did not wear a tie. My biggest problem is the footwear. I had an operation on my foot several years back and I am not comfortable in anything but tennis shoes, especially if I have to wear them all evening. So I wore black tennis shoes on the less formal nights and no one said anything, and hopefully did not notice, but I was the one who felt underdressed. Unfortunately, I cannot wear sandals. We ate in the lido a few nights, but we still dressed because we like to go to shows. So there we were, semi dressed up, carrying our trays, and finishing dinner in 20 minutes and then we had a lot of time to waste before the show.

So I just agree with others that if someone is looking for a way to avoid formal nights, this might not be the cruise line for a 74 day voyage.

Hi Salacia, First I would like to say that I do like the ambiance on QE for a change of pace and that is why I did a second voyage with Cunard. I did sail on QE in June after the dress code change and the big difference is that there were a few days that DH did not wear a tie. My biggest problem is the footwear. I had an operation on my foot several years back and I am not comfortable in anything but tennis shoes, especially if I have to wear them all evening. So I wore black tennis shoes on the less formal nights and no one said anything, and hopefully did not notice, but I was the one who felt underdressed. Unfortunately, I cannot wear sandals. We ate in the lido a few nights, but we still dressed because we like to go to shows. So there we were, semi dressed up, carrying our trays, and finishing dinner in 20 minutes and then we had a lot of time to waste before the show.

So I just agree with others that if someone is looking for a way to avoid formal nights, this might not be the cruise line for a 74 day voyage.

Hi EGG. Speaking of footwear, one of my tablemates on a cruise a few years ago told of her adventures on shore which involved a lot of hiking and some really fancy footwork driving an ATV. I was quite impressed, especially considering that she was a woman in her mid-80's. I asked what kind of shoes she wore on her adventures, and she lifted up the hem of her gown to reveal ankle length boots! Moral of the story: don't let shoes stop you.

Sybil Shepard wearing orange sneakers at the 1985 Emmy Awards -

20100902-tows-cybill-shepherd-12-600x411.jpg

Looking at a 78 day cruise from FLL to FLL in 2015. Excited about the intenerary but concerned about sailing on the Queen Victoria, is she to formal for a 78 day cruise? The most formal we have been on is HAL and there are ways to get around those formal nights, can this be said about Cunard? Will we have to sail steerage?

I never quite understand why people want to get around the formality yet still book a trip on a line that is renowned for its formal flair. It just seems like such a contradiction.

I can confirm what others posters said: all public areas of the ship are subject to the formal dress code.

What exactly are chemises in the US? Google images (UK) appears to show underwear or nightwear :o

I was wondering about that, too. A chemise is underwear/nightwear in my book. In French, it's a shirt with chemise de nuit being a nightshirt or short nightdress. I event went on Google.com and it still shows underwear or transparent/silky nightshirts.

I never quite understand why people want to get around the formality yet still book a trip on a line that is renowned for its formal flair. It just seems like such a contradiction.

I can confirm what others posters said: all public areas of the ship are subject to the formal dress code.

Apparently, two public areas are now exempt from the dress code. Quoted from a recent QM2 Daily Programme: "Any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court buffet on deck 7 and relax in the Winter Garden..."

A chemise dress is exactly what Jimsgirl described. It's a loose fitting straight dress...like a shift. They later introduced the empire waist to this style. Very popular in the 60s and 70s in California. Now it's simply called a sheath and made with more elegant material. Why not simply take her word for it?

Archived