The news from Queen Victoria

fantasy51

Here's an added bonus for me of all that dancing.

I LOST WEIGHT ON THE CRUISE!!!! :D :D :D

Normally I don't gain on a cruise (since taking up dancing) but this time I even lost weight. Mind you, I often felt mildly nauseous from exhaustion and didn't feel like eating - except when the cakes came round at afternoon tea. ;)

I have lost about 1.5 kg (3 pounds).

The bad news is that I normally gain weight as soon as I return home.

Jerky connection is just fine, I don't plan on a critique of your dancing. Martin thought the"competition" would be fun. Hmmmm. I wonder if this is his first time,and whether he'll be back. It must be difficult for a teacher to take that much time away from his studio. While I don't dance with the hosts, it's important indirectly by keeping the skilled dancers happy and likely to book a trip I might be on. The Handbag types aren't really what I'm looking for.

I don't think telling the audience "your votes count" rather than "the most expensive cabin wins" shows much respect for the audience, never mind the dancers who thought they were actually competing. And I strongly suspect that policy comes straight from the corporate suits in Southampton.

Jerky connection is just fine, I don't plan on a critique of your dancing. Martin thought the"competition" would be fun. Hmmmm. I wonder if this is his first time,and whether he'll be back. It must be difficult for a teacher to take that much time away from his studio. While I don't dance with the hosts, it's important indirectly by keeping the skilled dancers happy and likely to book a trip I might be on. The Handbag types aren't really what I'm looking for.

I don't think telling the audience "your votes count" rather than "the most expensive cabin wins" shows much respect for the audience, never mind the dancers who thought they were actually competing. And I strongly suspect that policy comes straight from the corporate suits in Southampton.

As anyone who has seen me on the dance floor knows, I am not a skilled dancer. Nevertheless, If people want to dance, let them have it I say, and more power to them if they study dance steps and practice with talented instructors during their voyage.

I do not understand this sniping about dance hosts, "handbag types" or a 'fixed' competition.

The audience in various videos does not appear to be the demographic Cunard is hoping to attract. My guess is that we are seeing the last gasp of "Strictly Cunard", especially since it has been reported that both participants and dance instructors feel it to be a farce, and many passengers are apparently upset by the decision of the judges - so what is the point in continuing the farce?

I do not understand this sniping about dance hosts, "handbag types" or a 'fixed' competition.

Hi Salacia, just to clear up a few things.

First, the dance hosts. I don't think anyone has sniped at them on this thread. Any sniping on the ship itself comes from people who are desperately longing to dance and are jealous of others who are perceived as getting more opportunities to dance (whether that perception is correct or not is a different matter). In a way it's a compliment to the hosts and how much they mean to the women without dance partners.

Second, my reference to 'handbags' started off facetiously. I have felt that others have drifted in their references (after all, just about all of the women have handbags to hold their room keys, if nothing else) but that's what Cruise Critic is all about. At this point I'd like to say that I really came to appreciate and enjoy 'Handbag One' and could see that her friends reserved her place for her out of protectiveness: her eyesight is poor and she would have trouble weaving her way through tables to get to the dance floor. I made sure to save her a place on a couple of occasions.

Third, the 'fixed' competition. I would have no trouble if Cunard had advertised it as a display of dancers without marking. However, as a person who strives hard for fairness, I was horrified at such a blatant disregard of it. I know I currently live a sheltered life (a bit of a hermit due to ill health) and I had forgotten what it was like to be presented with politics as compared with fairness. There are so many other options for Cunard that I can't see the point of it all. I would go for openness and fairness every time. I have been constantly amazed at the emotions that are generated by taking part in it (having seen it in friends and in myself), and it seems a betrayal to put people into a situation of high emotions when it isn't a fair process.

Hi Salacia, just to clear up a few things.

First, the dance hosts. I don't think anyone has sniped at them on this thread. Any sniping on the ship itself comes from people who are desperately longing to dance and are jealous of others who are perceived as getting more opportunities to dance (whether that perception is correct or not is a different matter). In a way it's a compliment to the hosts and how much they mean to the women without dance partners.

Second, my reference to 'handbags' started off facetiously. I have felt that others have drifted in their references (after all, just about all of the women have handbags to hold their room keys, if nothing else) but that's what Cruise Critic is all about. At this point I'd like to say that I really came to appreciate and enjoy 'Handbag One' and could see that her friends reserved her place for her out of protectiveness: her eyesight is poor and she would have trouble weaving her way through tables to get to the dance floor. I made sure to save her a place on a couple of occasions.

Third, the 'fixed' competition. I would have no trouble if Cunard had advertised it as a display of dancers without marking. However, as a person who strives hard for fairness, I was horrified at such a blatant disregard of it. I know I currently live a sheltered life (a bit of a hermit due to ill health) and I had forgotten what it was like to be presented with politics as compared with fairness. There are so many other options for Cunard that I can't see the point of it all. I would go for openness and fairness every time. I have been constantly amazed at the emotions that are generated by taking part in it (having seen it in friends and in myself), and it seems a betrayal to put people into a situation of high emotions when it isn't a fair process.

Hi Fantasy51. I understand and indications that competitions are "fixed" bothers me too. It's a shame when something that is supposed to be fun becomes such a disappointment. I'm sorry your experience wasn't all that it could have been, but I congratulate you on your perseverance and talent. -S.

Thanks Salacia. It would have been easier to laugh off if it hadn't been at the end of the cruise when I was physically exhausted from all the dancing. ;) My outlook changed after getting a good rest when I was home again. Emotions run high when I'm tired. The other bothering part was the pettiness of one of the entrants. Unsolicited bitchiness always gets to me! :eek:

But that's over and done with now and I have a wonderful video to watch, to give me happy memories. Now I just have to find someone close to home who can dance with me like that!

Hi Jerry. I'm rereading this thread now that I'm at home. I enjoyed the youtube video.

Just to reassure you, the piece of electrical equipment was an everyday item, recommended by many on this forum as needed on a cruise. I've used it before with no problems. My suspicion is that it became damaged in my suitcase, either on my way home from a previous cruise or on my way to this one. Perhaps things were handled a little too roughly. It seems to have developed a rattle inside it.

Anyway, here's a photo of it to reassure you that it was legal equipment (or would have been if not damaged).

Hi Diane, I thought that in the waltz and tango videos of you and your dance host, that both of you danced as good as Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers :) Are you planning any future Cunard cruises? I am hoping that I can do a QM2 back2back transatlantic crossing next year. Regards,Jerry

Hi Diane, I thought that in the waltz and tango videos of you and your dance host, that both of you danced as good as Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers :) Are you planning any future Cunard cruises? I am hoping that I can do a QM2 back2back transatlantic crossing next year. Regards,Jerry

Thanks Jerry! :D :o

I have been looking at November cruises and I am severely tempted! There are some wonderful offers on at the moment. I shouldn't go on another cruise so soon, especially with a trip back to Australia to see the family planned for Christmas, but my nieces are telling me to go ahead and spend their inheritance! If I go, I will great miss Martin. I doubt if I will find another Dance Host as extraordinary as he is. I think I will have to stalk him next year, and find out what cruises he is on so I can book them too! :p

The VW is the most demanding of the ballroom dances, and because there are only six different routines, having to repeat the same routine demands precision and mastery of the basic steps.

Here is a video by Victor Fang and Anna Murayaeva spending 20 minutes to explain their version of the natural (right) turn.

Victor Fang's explanation of the sweep of his left arm is particularly good.

And here is a video of Luca and Lorraine Baricchi demonstrating and explaining their natural/reverse turns and fleckerls.

Likewise, Luca's explanation of the counterbalancing and use of centrifugal force between the partners when doing the fleckerl is also very good.

tangoll

Archived