One pre cruise day in Vancouver..Walked the Stanley Park Seawall

cs4225

We recently did a 3 day pre cruise stay in Vancouver for a Coastal cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront and this is what we did on a sunny but cool day before the storm moved into the area the next day. We caught the free shuttle bus to Capilano Bridge in the morning. The pick up area was across the street by the Canada Place tour kiosk and it stopped at several hotels in the downtown area before heading out to the bridge. We spent about 2 hours at the bridge before riding the shuttle back into town. The driver gave us an option of being dropped off near Stanley Park on Denman Street. It was lunch time so we walk a couple of blocks to Kintaro Ramen (a Japanese noodle and broth restaurant). There was a line but for me the wait was well worth it. Vancouver has some really good Japanese food.

The wife wanted to rent a bike and ride the seawall but I wanted to walk it. She decided to join me in the walk but I felt like she was regretting that decision when it seemed like we were walking forever and we still did not reach the half way point. The walk was nice, lots of things to see and we even got to see a seal swimming near shore. Anyway it took us about 2 hours to complete the walk and when we reached our starting point it was like we finished a marathon. Time to celebrate but then we realized that we still had about a mile walk back to the hotel. We walked back along the waterfront and stopped at sports bar for a pint of beer before heading back to the hotel. My butt ached after but it was a good way to spend a day in Vancouver.

I love Stanley Park! We've done the walk around the seawall and a lot of the trails that hump up over the hill. The swans are huge. I had no idea swans were that big, since I'd never been able to get that close to one. We saw the funniest thing happen there. There was a lady walking along and a raccoon came out to panhandle. She reached in a bag and pulled out a fresh raspberry, which she put on the ground for the raccoon. The raccoon picked it up, looked it over, and threw it back at her. I guess he was holding out for an Oreo. :D

Archived