Viking River Cruises

Weejohnw

Urum- misleading, how dare you - you have no idea just what we had to endure that week!!! At the buffet section of the kitchen the only meat on offer was pork sausages.

The CD "A..." was getting it in the ear from every passenger that week and she new that what Viking was asking fare paying passengers to endure was wrong.

To those who criticise me - I ask you two simple questions:-

1 Where you on this, the first Danube cruise after the dreadful flooding to witness first hand what we had to put up with?

2 What is the name of this web site?

Just in case you are having difficulty, the clue to the answer is in the word "critic".

It does not suit us to self inflict another Viking cruise, no matter what the price.

We still contend that this cruise should have been cancelled too, until a proper schedule had been sorted out.

In 28 years and almost 150 holidays, we have come across many things that fell short of expectations, but you have no idea at all, just what this week was like, it was awful - from start to finish.

Edited by Weejohnw

It is clear that Viking is very much a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde cruise line.

Those who have sailed with them in good weather report having a great time.

But when anything goes wrong on a sailing, Viking responds much more poorly than other cruise lines. There were many many threads during and after this summer's flooding about various cruise lines' responses, and it was clear that Viking refused to cancel when other lines did (thus sparing their passengers "trips from Hell" and also triggering insurance coverage to make them whole), refused to share information that Viking management should have known (after all if we know about it here on Cruise Critic, a company with so many agents "on the ground" throughout Europe must have known), and seemingly deliberately misinformed passengers about conditions and plans. Same conditions, different company policies and attitudes.

This is why -- despite Viking's ubiquitous ads, their beautiful brochures (which are single-handedly keeping the US Postal Service in business), and their apparent price advantage (which I don't think holds up when you really compare all the extras and the extra quality on the other lines) -- we will never consider sailing on Viking.

• 4 weeks later...

Weejohnw - of course you have a right to complain and be taken seriously. Our last (and I mean last!) one with Viking went as planned as to itinerary but the food was awful- compared to what the brochures said it was appalling. The bussing about was hellish too. I was told that it was just part of river cruising today.

I reckon Viking staff most probably do their best but at the costs involved its just not good enough. Those still booked, who are hoping for a great time, will pour scorn on complainers and those who have enjoyed their cruises will react similarly.

No one wants to think they have or might have wasted their time and money. Sounds like we both did!