Self disembarkation

satchiesmom

Hi. I've done the self-disembarkation a few times and have not have any problems, but I have always needed to leave very early in those instances.

Does anyone know if you can stay on the ship until the last group is called if you do the self-disembarkation or do they start calling your name if you don't show up by a certain time? We don't have a plane to catch on our next cruise and would like to be able to sleep-in a little longer. I like being able to get everything packed up the morning we leave and not have to leave things out of our checked luggage the night prior to disembarking.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if you can stay on the ship until the last group is called if you do the self-disembarkation or do they start calling your name if you don't show up by a certain time? We don't have a plane to catch on our next cruise and would like to be able to sleep-in a little longer. I like being able to get everything packed up the morning we leave and not have to leave things out of our checked luggage the night prior to disembarking.

A lot of us would like to sleep a little longer. And a lot of us would also like to delay packing until the very last minute, too. But we have to get off the ship in an orderly fashion so it can be prepared for the next group to board.

To answer your question directly, no, I have never heard names called at the end of the self-disembarkation period.

But if you are going to stay aboard with your luggage it is not fair to those who are trying to disembark with their carry-ons only if you try to leave with them. It makes a terrible jam-up in the passageways, and the elevators. It's not safe, and people can get very banged up.

If you don't go with the self-disembark group, and don't send your luggage ahead, you should at least wait until after final call---when they are calling names.

Assuming all goes per plan, with a 7AM scheduled arrival in Port Everglades, about what time would the first numbers be called off the Noordam? Our December return flight has been changed to an earlier time. I think we may have to do the self disembarkation, but oh my, I remember feeling like I was going to get trampled to death last time we did that. I would so much prefer to let them handle the bags, or better yet, luggage direct, but due to the flight change that is now out of the question.

We do it on a regular basis. If everything is on schedule, expect to be off the ship by 7:30.

A lot of us would like to sleep a little longer. And a lot of us would also like to delay packing until the very last minute, too. But we have to get off the ship in an orderly fashion so it can be prepared for the next group to board.

To answer your question directly, no, I have never heard names called at the end of the self-disembarkation period.

But if you are going to stay aboard with your luggage it is not fair to those who are trying to disembark with their carry-ons only if you try to leave with them. It makes a terrible jam-up in the passageways, and the elevators. It's not safe, and people can get very banged up.

If you don't go with the self-disembark group, and don't send your luggage ahead, you should at least wait until after final call---when they are calling names.

When we disembark in Ft. Lauderdale we usually select to be in the last group to disembark since we always stay with a friend at least a day or more. We have not stayed that long that we heard names called but it was never crowded getting off, by then the ship seems rather empty.

I am not advocating self-disembarkers to stay till rhe end but from my recent experiences it does not seem like it would be a big issue.

Typhoon, you mean without self disemarkation, if we are in first group or thereabouts, we could be off by 7:30? We have a 10:15 flight because they cancelled the one I booked. Many thanks.

10:15 is cutting it close, of course that depends on which port you are talking about. We made a 9:30 am out of San Diego a week ago, but only since I had a VIP pass to get thought the long security line.

Did you call the airline and ask about taking a later flight? Since they changed your schedule, they normally are very easy to work with on this, without a penalty to you.

DaveOKC

There really are few options, we have a connecting flight to our little convenient local airport. If we came back via one of the two larger airports each about an hour away we would have a transportation quandry. It is FLL, so we will probably just have to haul are own bags and get off early. There is only one other ship returning that day, and at least the airport is about as close as it gets. We will keep a plan B in mind!

There really are few options, we have a connecting flight to our little convenient local airport. If we came back via one of the two larger airports each about an hour away we would have a transportation quandry. It is FLL, so we will probably just have to haul are own bags and get off early. There is only one other ship returning that day, and at least the airport is about as close as it gets. We will keep a plan B in mind!

FLL is a good one to be flying out of with an early flight like yours. Once we were actually at the boarding gate by 8 AM! Security that early was fairly light (compared to later around Noon time when it can be a zoo).

If your ship arrives on time, you should be fine.

Archived