Self disembarkation

satchiesmom

Self-disembark is the first group called to leave the ship. That generally happens by 7:30, and I have heard the call start earlier than that---maybe 7:15, or so. You can't wait around and leave at your leisure, while still taking your own luggage.

Just remember, you can't disembark until the ship is ready and cleared for disembarkation. On 3 of our 6 cruises we have either not arrived in port on time or have arrived, but there was a hold-up of a couple of hours before the ship cleared. Stuff happens.

Getting off the Eurodam on Saturday in Quebec City, we were on our way at 5:50AM. Some folks were off even earlier.

We had a quick bite to eat in the Lido at 5:30AM, to prepare for the very cold morning.

We crossed Dalhousie Street and were on an electric-powered Quebec City Ecobus, and were at the train station in less than 15 minutes after exiting the cruise terminal at 5:55AM.

The Canadian Border folks make it a lot easier nowadays...not sure if the same method is also being used in Montreal and Vancouver.

Entry cards are filled out aboard the ship a few days before disembarkation, which are reviewed by Border services prior to arrival at the Canadian port, and random searches of passengers are made aboard ship.

No more stamping of passports. No more time-wasting lineups after exiting the ship.

Smart move by the Border folks designed to make life easier for disembarking passengers ? You bet.

More and more passengers are taking advantage of this option and it can get a bit crowded.

One suggestion for HAL - offer a priority self-disembarkation for those passengers who qualify for priority (4 or 5 stars, Neptune and Pinnacle suites).

DaveOKC

My saddest cruise experience on debarkation day was on the Z. The ship had a problem and arrived late into FLL. The Captain made an announcement that it would be awhile before any debarking could begin, so please don't start lining up - further announcements would be coming. I don't think we were even "tied-up" yet at that point.

We were on our way to the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast and passed a large group of people - you guessed it, already lining up to get off. Long story short, one man started yelling at the group that "the Captain said don't line up yet and now you are blocking the hall." Another man got right in his face yelling "we have to get off now or miss our flight and we are not moving from this line." There was much yelling and these two men were so mad that their faces were red. I walked past thinking "what a way to end a great cruise." For some reason it still sticks in my mind.

Getting off the Eurodam on Saturday in Quebec City, we were on our way at 5:50AM. Some folks were off even earlier.

We had a quick bite to eat in the Lido at 5:30AM, to prepare for the very cold morning.

We crossed Dalhousie Street and were on an electric-powered Quebec City Ecobus, and were at the train station in less than 15 minutes after exiting the cruise terminal at 5:55AM.

The Canadian Border folks make it a lot easier nowadays...not sure if the same method is also being used in Montreal and Vancouver.

Entry cards are filled out aboard the ship a few days before disembarkation, which are reviewed by Border services prior to arrival at the Canadian port, and random searches of passengers are made aboard ship.

No more stamping of passports. No more time-wasting lineups after exiting the ship.

Smart move by the Border folks designed to make life easier for disembarking passengers ? You bet.

Good to hear how smoothly debark goes in Quebec City.

We love it there and can never get enough time in that beautiful city. :)

We don't have a flight to catch until the next day, so if the ship doesn't clear right away it won't matter. We just want to have as much time in Seattle that day as possible. Thanks again everyone for all of your very helpful information.

My saddest cruise experience on debarkation day was on the Z. The ship had a problem and arrived late into FLL. The Captain made an announcement that it would be awhile before any debarking could begin, so please don't start lining up - further announcements would be coming. I don't think we were even "tied-up" yet at that point.

I hate it when people line up before time, and block access to the passageways and elevators.

A little over a year ago the "Don't line up yet!" announcement was made, and I decided it was a good idea to get to the wheelchair assembly area while I could still get out of my cabin (disembarkation was right by my door), even though it was too early.

So much for that idea! The entire passageway and elevator area was jam-packed with people who think the announcement didn't apply to them.

When it's hard enough to walk, let alone dragging carry-ons, you shouldn't have to fight through those kinds of crowds, too. :mad:

I hate it when people line up before time, and block access to the passageways and elevators.

A little over a year ago the "Don't line up yet!" announcement was made, and I decided it was a good idea to get to the wheelchair assembly area while I could still get out of my cabin (disembarkation was right by my door), even though it was too early.

So much for that idea! The entire passageway and elevator area was jam-packed with people who think the announcement didn't apply to them.

When it's hard enough to walk, let alone dragging carry-ons, you shouldn't have to fight through those kinds of crowds, too. :mad:

totally agree Ruth - we had that on the N Amsterdam (maybe people were anxious to get off:confused:;)). We literally work through one pile of people to get off. Their number hadn't been called. They were asked to wait in their rooms or public areas and it was an absolute zoo. I had to ask DH to lead the way!

Assuming all goes per plan, with a 7AM scheduled arrival in Port Everglades, about what time would the first numbers be called off the Noordam? Our December return flight has been changed to an earlier time. I think we may have to do the self disembarkation, but oh my, I remember feeling like I was going to get trampled to death last time we did that. I would so much prefer to let them handle the bags, or better yet, luggage direct, but due to the flight change that is now out of the question.

Assuming all goes per plan, with a 7AM scheduled arrival in Port Everglades, about what time would the first numbers be called off the Noordam? Our December return flight has been changed to an earlier time. I think we may have to do the self disembarkation, ....

As I posted earlier, expect self-disembarkation to start about 7:30; I have seen it start as early as 7:15.

After that, the Luggage Direct group is called, then the numbers are called.

Figure 10 minutes between groups, although once numbers are started, several numbers may be called at once.

Sorry, i did not make myself clear. What i meant was, first numbers that are NOT self disembarkation, when would they be called? I think we are going to have to do the self disembarkation, but I surely would rather not.

If self-disembark starts at 7:30, and Luggage Direct comes about 10 minutes later, I would expect the first numbers to be called about 7:50-8:00-ish.

To use it you must have a credit card on file and be able to handle your own luggage. You should be off the ship by 7:30.

Is it possible to hire your cabin attendant to help you with the luggage

Is it possible to hire your cabin attendant to help you with the luggage

I would highly doubt it. :eek: Cabin stewards are already on duty working for the employer who pays them when passengers are disembarking. It's turn-around day, and they have much more to get done, in a shorter time frame, than on any other day of the cruise.

Even if they thought they could squeeze time to assist, they wouldn't be allowed off the ship, so transferring luggage from the steward's control to that of the passenger at the doorway would be problematic for everyone. Not to mention now the steward would have to fight against the traffic coming out as he returned to duty.

I wouldn't dream of putting someone in the position of deciding whether to try and please a passenger or say "no, I can't".

We tried the self disembarkation once. That was enough. We COULD NOT get on an elevator--one did stop and there was plenty of room but a woman was screaming NO ROOM NO ROOM and pushing the close button. Let HAL schlep the luggage--much much easier!

On our last HAL cruise the rudeness was simply God awful! Getting off a ship should not be the drama that some people make it.

We tried the self disembarkation once. That was enough. We COULD NOT get on an elevator--one did stop and there was plenty of room but a woman was screaming NO ROOM NO ROOM and pushing the close button. Let HAL schlep the luggage--much much easier!

On our last HAL cruise the rudeness was simply God awful! Getting off a ship should not be the drama that some people make it.

My!:eek: I've never done self disembarkation since we always return to our home town (San Diego). This time we arrive in Vancouver and I still won't do it. I will either stay an extra day or make my flight late enough not to worry.

Archived