Salerno, any info?

stouennais

Just had an email of change of port from Naples to Salerno (Amalfi coast).

Been to Naples port a few times and it is very convenient for ferries and buses etc. However, not too much information on Salerno and it seems more challenging to visit surrounding areas that the cruise guests may have wanted to visit. Does anyone have any advise or tips on Salerno? Nothing in Rick Steve's! Many thanks.

The same thing happened to us. We ended up renting a Hertz car from the port (they came and picked us up) so that we could still see the things that we had planned - Pompeii and the Amalfi drive. It was quite easy to do, I believe the rental car cost about 35 euros in 2010 and parking at Pompeii was no problem. The most difficult thing was returning the car to the rental location (again Hertz took us back to the port) because the sat nav. kept directing us to a one way street. Hopefully this has been fixed by now.

I would do the same thing again for sure. We got to spend as much time as we wanted at Pompeii without crowds of people and could stop and get out as we drove along the Amalfi drive. Spectacular!

When we were there a few years ago, we did a tour with Stefano's Rome Tours. The website doesn't list it as a pickup spot, but I think we requested it and they were able to accommodate. We hadn't been to the Amalfi coast previously, so I don't know how beneficial it is if you've been there before. Here's the link: http://www.stefanorometours.com/tours/pompeii-sorrento-amalfi-coast/

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

When we were there a few years ago, we did a tour with Stefano's Rome Tours. The website doesn't list it as a pickup spot, but I think we requested it and they were able to accommodate. We hadn't been to the Amalfi coast previously, so I don't know how beneficial it is if you've been there before. Here's the link: http://www.stefanorometours.com/tours/pompeii-sorrento-amalfi-coast/

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Stefano, Rome Tours does do a pick up out of Salerno.

Edited by Aussie Claire

We stayed in Salerno overnight on a land trip two years ago. Had a great day taking the local boat to Positano, and the local bus back. You do have to walk uphill to get the bus. Great scenery, of course. Bus ride was an adventure on the narrow roads! You can search online for times, prices, etc. and see if this suits you.

There is a free shuttle provided by the city in Salerno that takes you from the port to town. The shuttle drops you off in town about 100 yards from the ferry dock, where you can take the ferry to Amafi, Positano or Sorrento. We took a 8AM ferry to Amalfi. In Amalfi we boarded the local bus that took us up to Ravello, where we spent about 4 hours. Took the bus back down to Amalfi, had lunch there, walked around and then took the ferry back to Sorrento, where the shuttle buses were waiting to take us back to the ship. Would do this same day trip again if we were to dock again in Salerno.

Did you have any problem boarding the bus at either end? I have read horror stories of pushing and shoving and not getting on the bus at some stops in Europe. Thanks
The bus driver will not let anyone on once the bus is at capacity, which does happen on the Amalfi Coast route at times. It's not common, but it can happen.

Just had an email of change of port from Naples to Salerno (Amalfi coast).

Been to Naples port a few times and it is very convenient for ferries and buses etc. However, not too much information on Salerno and it seems more challenging to visit surrounding areas that the cruise guests may have wanted to visit. Does anyone have any advise or tips on Salerno? Nothing in Rick Steve's! Many thanks.

Where would you like to go? It's easy to get to Pompei by train. The Amalfi Coast can be reached by ferry or bus. Capri is a bit more difficult as there aren't a lot of ferry runs that will work for cruise timing.

One benefit of Salerno vs. Napoli is the proximity to Paestum.

Let us know what you're trying to get to and we can provide you with transit options.

Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions. I reckon we will just visit Positano for lunch, perhaps one way by ferry and the bus back sounds good! It all depends of course on ferry timetables etc. and how long it all takes but I am sure we will enjoy it. However, I am pleased we have visited the Naples port several times before. Last cruise we had an overnight stay in Naples so we visited Ischia which was lovely.

If you were to have an extended stay in Sorrento, would you be able to visit these areas easily- Positano, Almalfi,Ravello, Ischia& Capri? I know this isn't related to cruising but you seem to know a lot of the info.! I would like to go in April. From what I have read it seems that the marina is not far. Thanks for any input:). I would not be renting a car.

If you were to have an extended stay in Sorrento, would you be able to visit these areas easily- Positano, Almalfi,Ravello, Ischia& Capri? I know this isn't related to cruising but you seem to know a lot of the info.! I would like to go in April. From what I have read it seems that the marina is not far. Thanks for any input:). I would not be renting a car.

The only goal that would be a challenge is Ischia,and even that is pretty easy from Sorrento (requires a change of ferries in Naples). April is a tad before the "high" season, so there will be fewer ferries out to Ischia each day, but it's still quite "do-able".

• 3 months later...
There is a free shuttle provided by the city in Salerno that takes you from the port to town. The shuttle drops you off in town about 100 yards from the ferry dock, where you can take the ferry to Amafi, Positano or Sorrento. We took a 8AM ferry to Amalfi. In Amalfi we boarded the local bus that took us up to Ravello, where we spent about 4 hours. Took the bus back down to Amalfi, had lunch there, walked around and then took the ferry back to Sorrento, where the shuttle buses were waiting to take us back to the ship. Would do this same day trip again if we were to dock again in Salerno.

SIL is taking RCCl (Serenade of the Seas) July of this year. Is this information still correct? Her itinerary shows Salerno (Amalfi coast) for almost 11 hours; does that seem right?

Any help will be appreciated.

We were on the Serenade into Salerno. We worked with Rome in limo and had a fabulous experience! Our driver, Rafaello, even sang to us in Italian as he maneuvered his Mercedes through the Amalfi coast. This is one road I would leave to the experienced! At one point two tour buses had to pass each other headed opposite ways. The road is so narrow that cars had to back up to enable the buses to move! The Amalfi coast provides breathtaking views!

• 1 month later...

As mentioned by euro cruiser in his post, Salerno is close to the wonderful archeological site of Paestum. Rick Steves' guidebooks provide much helpful information about traveling to and from this site from Salerno by bus or train.

When we docked in Salerno in October 2012, the ship's shuttle bus took us to a central square just a couple of blocks from the train station, where we caught the train to and from Paestum. Paestum offers wonderful Greek temples and town ruins high above the beautiful coast plus an excellent archaeological museum. This place is one of the most beautiful and evocative sites we ever visited and definitely worth a trip.