River Cruise Company Comparison

cherylakers

In doing a comparison chart, realize that there are stretches of river that you want to be cruising during the day, such as the Wachau valley on the Danube and the Rhine from the Mosel to the Main. Otherwise the best use of your time during the day and evening is in port, so, except for the few really scenic stretches of the rivers, you want to be cruising while you sleep. Sailing during dinner and arriving during breakfast is generally ideal, except for larger cities, such as Vienna, that have attractive evening activities. For those cities, you want to sail at about bed time. Also realize that the ships travel at the same speed on the rivers, so, for the same itinerary, the more days the trip, the longer the port time. Also, some cruise lines such as Grand Circle, are very up front about planned sailing and docking times, while others are not.

Well, we didn't have to do too much comparison. We wanted to hook up with a transatlantic after the river cruise.

Several river cruise lines did not have a good date for us to continue on to the transatlantic.

We ended up booking Viking River for their 10/3 sailing from Amsterdam to Budapest. WE will have 7 days after river cruise to fly to Berlin and visit family and then fly down to Barcelona to board transatlantic on Liberty of the Seas to Miami.

We are already booked on Viking and cabins are filling up fast for 2015. It's amazing people book so far in advance. We are a group of 3 couples.

The transatlantics won't come out until March 2014 so will have to wait for that portion of our trip.

I found great flights for 2014 on Air Berlin for Budapest to Berlin and then on to Barcelona. Hope they have same flights for 2015.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Cheryl

What exciting plans.

Just curious; how do you know that the Liberty will be doing a transatlantic from Barcelona, almost two years out, since the schedules have not been published? Did you base it on current itineraries?

Working in the industry I see cruiselines pull their ships and switch around itineraries constantly, so just wondering.

What exciting plans.

Just curious; how do you know that the Liberty will be doing a transatlantic from Barcelona, almost two years out, since the schedules have not been published? Did you base it on current itineraries?

Working in the industry I see cruiselines pull their ships and switch around itineraries constantly, so just wondering.

And with Viking's full payment in advance policy you can't back out of this gracefully if the ocean cruise schedule doesn't cooperate.

Yes I know we are taking a chance. Liberty is going to Barcelona for summer 2015. The schedule is out for it. Since 2011 it has had this same schedule. Each year it backs up the date it leaves Barcelona by 1 day.

So worst case scenario we go on a different ta. Our final payment for Viking is not doe until may 2015. So we have time to change since ta will be out by march or April.

If we can't do a ta then we can add Viking air b4 final or get our own air back. Lots of different scenarios available.

Yes I know we are taking a chance. Liberty is going to Barcelona for summer 2015. The schedule is out for it. Since 2011 it has had this same schedule. Each year it backs up the date it leaves Barcelona by 1 day.

So worst case scenario we go on a different ta. Our final payment for Viking is not doe until may 2015. So we have time to change since ta will be out by march or April.

If we can't do a ta then we can add Viking air b4 final or get our own air back. Lots of different scenarios available.

That makes sense, especially since you have some flex time in between cruises.

I was also under the impression that Viking required full payment at booking, not so I guess.

Viking required $1,000 down per cabin which is fully refundable before final payment in May. We have to pay in full by May in order to get the 2014 prices. I don't mind this since you don't get much interest on your money these days.

If we do it like we want, I can also buy air fare through Royal Caribbean for the one way over. Viking did not sell a one way. Royal Caribbean for 2014 is only $550 one way and we can choose where we want to arrive in Europe. I hope they have this same arrangement for 2015. Again worse case scenario we buy our own 1 way. Not as many options though for 2014. Maybe 2015 would be better.

I don't mind spending extra time in Europe. We are very used to taking trains, etc. all over Europe. There are so many areas to explore. I have family in Southern AUstria too so we could just hang out there for a few days or a week until we can catch a ship.

This is my retirement trip so I am looking forward to almost 40 days overseas.

Cheryl

We have cruised Vantage and AMA. Both were excellent.

I always price ship and always find Vantage beats Viking in price. Also, usually get more for less money. Especially on our China trip, there was a significant difference.

seems I read Vantage does NOT use TAs,is that right?If so, I d be very leary.

My luxury cruise TA only handles AMA,Tauck and Scenic.Said others ranked lower.Seems I also read similar here on CC in one thread,but cant find it to quote.

In my 10 river cruises,taking into account the big differences in EACH boat,EACH country,and ALL the many variables to consider.For the price,AMA has been my favorite.But giving Scenic a try next June.Like to experience more than one line,same with ocean cruises.But now chose luxury lines for all the perks and can finally afford them.:)

seems I read Vantage does NOT use TAs,is that right?If so, I d be very leary.

My luxury cruise TA only handles AMA,Tauck and Scenic.Said others ranked lower.Seems I also read similar here on CC in one thread,but cant find it to quote.

In my 10 river cruises,taking into account the big differences in EACH boat,EACH country,and ALL the many variables to consider.For the price,AMA has been my favorite.But giving Scenic a try next June.Like to experience more than one line,same with ocean cruises.But now chose luxury lines for all the perks and can finally afford them.:)

I've done 5 cruises with Vantage and have two booked and have never had a single problem with them. While there is no disputing that a good TA can provide service and benefits that dealing directly with the cruise line cannot, I had one trip screwed up royally by a TA and being the control freak that I am, I would rather deal with the company directly. This way if anything goes wrong with the reservations it's my own fault! :D From what I have seen and heard, AMA is a top of the line company and so is Vantage IMHO. Don't know anything about Scenic, so I can't comment.

Don't know anything about Scenic, so I can't comment.

At the risk of repeating myself, do yourself a favour and check out some of the bad comments against Scenic and their offshoot companies.

Apart from the so-so daily issues, check out what happens wwhen things go wrong (like floods) and they force you onto busses!

There are many links on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic discussing the poor customer service of Scenic!

Some links to read:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k6686276-o10-Scenic_Tours_Fail_to_Adequately_Compensate_Flooded_Cruises-Cruises.html#54123772

(Start reading this one from about the 2013 time frame, although the thread starts in 2009)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k2821799-o460-Scenic_Tours_European_River_Cruise-Cruises.html#53627238

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1909837

Then there is our own opinion from the 2013 floods with a Scenic subsidiary (Evergreen Tours), although no recent comments have been to added to it, hence the thread has dropped out of sight.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1892421

At the risk of repeating myself, do yourself a favour and check out some of the bad comments against Scenic and their offshoot companies.

Apart from the so-so daily issues, check out what happens wwhen things go wrong (like floods) and they force you onto busses!

There are many links on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic discussing the poor customer service of Scenic!

Some links to read:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k6686276-o10-Scenic_Tours_Fail_to_Adequately_Compensate_Flooded_Cruises-Cruises.html#54123772

(Start reading this one from about the 2013 time frame, although the thread starts in 2009)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k2821799-o460-Scenic_Tours_European_River_Cruise-Cruises.html#53627238

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1909837

Then there is our own opinion from the 2013 floods with a Scenic subsidiary (Evergreen Tours), although no recent comments have been to added to it, hence the thread has dropped out of sight.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1892421

and the last 5 member reviews on Scenic have been 5 star.

Seems many of the cruise lines really SCREWED UP with the flooding and do know that a BUS is a real possibility(says so in ALL the fine print on all the river cruises I ve been on).Lucky so far.But is IS A RISK.And that why most prefer river boat to a bus,been there done that.

The brochure is what convinced me to TRY it ,but will let everyone know my experience after.;)

• 1 month later...

During the 2013 floods, passengers with Scenic Tours and/or Evergreen Tours were treated to the most unsatisfactory behaviour of any company.

So much so, that there is going to be a CLASS ACTION against them in early 2014 due to the lies, mis-information and dishonest tactics to attempt to deafeat any claims against a refund.

They offered some a $500 refund on a $10,000 cruise! Some have never received any offer.

Anyone that was with Scenic Tours or Evergreen Tours during the 2013 floods and were basically ignored by the company after returning home, there will be a Class Action in Australia against this company in early 2014.

For more information regarding the abysmal performance of Scenic Tours during the floods in Europe, please message me directly to find out about the Class Action to be held against them.

It does NOT matter if you have actually received the offered pittance of the $500 refund, as it will cost you nothing to be included!

http://somervillelegal.com.au/page16858/Scenic-Tour…