At last! It's RADIANCE cruise day!

As mentioned much earlier, we had to call the emergency number during the early morning after Port Hedland. Mum hadn't been feeling too good all day so stayed on board, mainly because of the angle of the gangway as previously stated.

It was just 2.30am when she decided to visit the bathroom. Unfortunately she became tangled up in the bedclothes so ended up falling out of bed, scraping right down her arm on the corner of the bedside table.

There was blood everywhere! I tried cold compresses but it just wasn't doing the job so called the emergency number for the medical centre. Two security men arrived with a wheelchair so I grabbed all Mum's medical records and we went down to Deck 2.

The nurse had arrived and the Doctor was there about 10 minutes later. It was obvious that they'd both been woken up but said it's all part of the job!

After a tetanus needle, some butterfly bandaids, antibiotic creams and lots of bandaging, she was able to return to the cabin.

Each afternoon we went back down to have the wounds dressed then on the last afternoon they supplied me with all the necessary items so that I could continue to dress her arm each day until we arrived back home.

As the accident occurred on-board, there was no charge! Apparantly the waiting room was usually filled each day. The nurse speculated as to why people decide to go on a cruise when they are obviously not well.

The last cruise day 2 people were taken off the ship and sent to hospital in Geraldton. We were pleased that Mum's accident wasn't serious enough to have her taken off the ship.

So, if you've ever wondered about the medical centre on board, we can now tell you that there are at least 2 nurses and 1 doctor down there to attend to all medical needs.

I am sorry to hear of your mums accident, I hope she recovers and that you both can still enjoy the last days of the cruise.:D

Thanks so much for your concern!

Our cruise finished in Fremantle on the 9 November, it's just taken me this long to do the review!

Her wounds are healing nicely so I guess all the "nursing" that I had to do whilst we were in Perth paid off! :)

GERALDTON:

This was our last port but...... my camera's battery ran flat so I only have shots that I took with my IPhone so when I work out how to transfer them to my computer, I'll be able to add them here!

Gae

Thanks so much for your concern!

Our cruise finished in Fremantle on the 9 November, it's just taken me this long to do the review!

Her wounds are healing nicely so I guess all the "nursing" that I had to do whilst we were in Perth paid off! :)

GERALDTON:

This was our last port but...... my camera's battery ran flat so I only have shots that I took with my IPhone so when I work out how to transfer them to my computer, I'll be able to add them here!

Gae

Sorry, I had forgotton about that, and I now feel a bit silly:confused:. I was too worried that your mums cruise was ruined with the accident. She is lucky to have you with her to help.

It also proves that your review had me feeling as if we were there with you.:D

Hi all

Until I work out how to download the Geraldton photos from my IPhone, I thought to add some more photos from each of our ports of call.

Please excuse if I double up on any of them.

BRISBANE:

The photo I attached for the Southbank area of the Brisbane river has disappeared (I must have deleted it in Photobucket) so here's another one!

DSCF0033_zps4e1584e1.jpg

Here's a photo of the Nepalese Pagoda - southbank area.

There was so much to see here but as the bus only waited for 15 mins, I didn't get to see but a fraction of everything!

There are lots of museums, performing art, contemporary art gallery & various accommodation places & restaurants along with open public parks & gardens.

A fabulous spot for the locals to visit!

DSCF0032_zps3e9cc214.jpg

Our Brisbane tour stopped at the lookout cafe on Mt Cootha - highest point overlooking Brisbane.

I took photos from here looking back towards the city but it was so smoky from bush fires that the view wasn't worth showing.

Here is a photo taken from the cafe looking back towards the city suburbs.

DSCF0029_zps7f6c80ab.jpg

Hi Gae

What a lovely photo review - we just got off a short 5 night cruise on the Radiance yesterday, (I went with my Mum too) so looking at your wonderful pictures makes me feel like I am still on the ship! Rohan made me laugh every morning too with his different hats.

We are going on a longer cruise in January and one stop will be Bali - would you mind sharing the details of your driver/tour guide. We would like to do something similar to what you did -ie Ubud, rice terraces etc.

Thanks

Hi Gae

What a lovely photo review - we just got off a short 5 night cruise on the Radiance yesterday, (I went with my Mum too) so looking at your wonderful pictures makes me feel like I am still on the ship! Rohan made me laugh every morning too with his different hats.

We are going on a longer cruise in January and one stop will be Bali - would you mind sharing the details of your driver/tour guide. We would like to do something similar to what you did -ie Ubud, rice terraces etc.

Thanks

Thank you!

Happy to share Bali private tour guide details. Just let him know that you obtained them from Gae from the Radiance as I told him I'd be recommending him after the great way he looked after us!

email: dewa@balicarservice.com

He might have to purchase another vehicle and pay another driver if he gets really busy!

Here's a photo of Government House in Darwin. As mentioned before, it was very hot in Darwin, as was expected in a tropical area.

Darwin is very multi-cultural as this little city is closer to Indonesia and even South-east Asia than they are to the most other cities of Australia.

DSCF0160_zpsf6aa3b7e.jpg

I was so very surprised to see all the high-rise residential apartments here in Darwin! I guess the older homes are still out in the suburbs. These are built high from the ground, allowing cool breezes to circulate underneath, though these days with air-conditioning, many people have bricked in the lower levels for extra living space.

This photo was taken through the window of a moving bus, hence the low quality.

DSCF0188_zps85e2bf9c.jpg

As I mentioned before, we LOVED Bali! Many didn't bother to leave the ship and Mum wasn't too sure that she wanted to visit either after hearing all the tales of Australians being duped by locals, some even ending up in gaol there for years but that's only in the tourist areas of Kuta & Denpassar!

Get out into the countryside to meet the REAL Balinese who are a gentle, peaceful race as many of you will have experienced from those that work onboard the ships.

Here's another photo of the temple we visited. Everyone had to wear a typical Balinese sarong. There was a cover-charge, which our driver paid as part of our tour cost.

DSCF0225_zps9b766207.jpg

Here's another photo of a portion of a family compound. You'll notice a well in the left hand side, firewood stacked for the open cooking fire and bright shining pans after being washed up by hand!

It was very, very hot inside this compound as the high walls surrounding it prevented any but strong winds to enter.

DSCF0251_zpsc7ac48b0.jpg

The sport of cock-fighting is still prevalent in Bali and we saw lots of men grooming their prize ones whilst driving through the villages.

Here in the foreground are bamboo cages, each containing a fighting cock. We were upset at the fact that they were out in the hot sun without any visible means of water.

DSCF0255_zpsc4c0ead7.jpg

Edited by gaechann

I'm so glad I was able to experience this hot, dry, dusty place! If you're expecting a bustling town, forget it! It's a mining town and most of the town's facilities are provided by the mining companies to encourage workers to bring their families to live here, thereby ensuring happier, more stable workers.

I didn't explore this town area but I know that the town of Tom Price in Western Australia that 2 of my sons used to live and work in had 2 primary schools, a high school, shopping mall with a post office, bank, hardware store, clothing shop, hairdressers etc along with a hospital, large undercover swimming pool and lots and lots of open parks and play-grounds which were all irrigated so the place was very green, an oasis in the dry, dusty Pilbara desert.

Most of the Tom Price facilities were provided by the giant mining company, Rio Tinto to encourage families to live here. Many of the wives used to work in the mine as well. One of my daughter-in-laws used to drive one of the huge dump trucks that you see pictures of. The company preferred female drivers as they were more gentle on the gears!

The previous photo that I posted of the road train was deleted so here's another one. I've been told by a reliable source that it probably contains copper ore from one of the large mines hundred of miles (kilometres) to the east.

DSCF0370_zps7d563e43.jpg

Now, back to some more photos of the beautiful Radiance.

Here is a photo of the stage curtain in the Theatre. As mentioned before the Radiance 9-piece band was fantastic! There were usually 2 shows every night - 7.00pm and 8.45pm.

Each night they played continuously for at least 90 mins - for each show! I must say that each Royal ship I've experienced has had a great show-band!

DSCF0148_zps79192423.jpg

This photo shows the height of the Centrum area. For our next cruise on Radiance we have booked a cabin on Deck 4 close to this area as it's central to everything happening on-board.

The mood of this area would change with a change to the colour of the lights. This night it was a pink-purple hue.

DSCF0212_zpsc8249930.jpg

I took this photo of a Western Australia sunrise from our porthole on Deck 4 one morning.

I would go up to deck 5 most mornings of our last week on-board for a sunrise photo only to be disappointed. The best morning apparantly was the morning after Mum injured herself so I missed it.

Anyway, this wasn't too bad. Very red!

DSCF0270_zpsfac1d561.jpg