At last! It's RADIANCE cruise day!

Here is the Lattitudes coffee shop to the right with the Centrum shops in the background.

Our mid-morning coffee would either be purchased from here or if the queue was too long, as it usually was, I would go on up to the Solarium Bar on Deck 11 for our coffees then take them back down to our deck-chairs on Deck 5 to sip whilst watching the ocean sailing on by.

The shops weren't all that exciting but I guess if you like to shop, you'll find something to purchase here. I think I spent about $30 buying a few souvenirs! I'm NOT a shopper obviously! LOL!

DSCF0382_zpsc1439625.jpg

Whilst we were anchoured in Port Hedland the crew were summons to Deck 5 starboard side for a lifeboat drill.

Here a photo showing all lifeboats on that side being lowered into the water.

DSCF0359_zps1545f4bf.jpg

Later I went down to our cabin to check on Mum and all the hallway emergency lights were on. Obviously it was emergency drill time.

If you look on the left hand side towards the back of the photo you'll see our cabin - 4006 - just the 3rd from the front. We thought we may have experienced a bit of pitching being so close to the front but were pleasantly surprised that we didn't have any.

Of course, the seas were mostly calm for the whole 16 days of our cruise so I guess we were very fortunate.

DSCF0361_zps549e1305.jpg

This artwork was in a tiny little display case in the front stairwells. Each deck displayed more of this "modern" art. Not in my Mum's taste but I didn't mind it though I wondered what it had replaced during the ship's recent update.

DSCF0076_zps235c93dd.jpg

Final photo for today!

Here's Mum on Deck 12 in front of the Radiance sign. She couldn't (wouldn't?) work out how to use my camera. Just couldn't understand the concept of looking into a screen on the back of the camera rather than through a view-finder. That's why there are very few photos of me on this cruise! :)

DSCF0123_zpsfb7a4669.jpg

Final photo for today!

Here's Mum on Deck 12 in front of the Radiance sign. She couldn't (wouldn't?) work out how to use my camera. Just couldn't understand the concept of looking into a screen on the back of the camera rather than through a view-finder. That's why there are very few photos of me on this cruise! :)

DSCF0123_zpsfb7a4669.jpg

Your mum isn't looking too pleased to pose for you in this one.:D

Really enjoying your review and photos, Gae. Now that you have been on all 3 RCI ships here, can I ask which one you prefer and why? I am considering Radiance for our next cruise, but might try Rhapsody again now that it has more restaurants. I thought I would like Voyager, but found I prefer the smaller ships.

Final photo for today!

I can relate to that. Looking at the screen seems very awkward at first. It took me a while to get used to it rather than using an SLR and looking through the lens.

I have been enjoying looking at your photos. Thanks for posting them. :)

Really enjoying your review and photos, Gae. Now that you have been on all 3 RCI ships here, can I ask which one you prefer and why? I am considering Radiance for our next cruise, but might try Rhapsody again now that it has more restaurants. I thought I would like Voyager, but found I prefer the smaller ships.

Well, this is a hard one to judge as NONE are perfect yet all are fantastic!

We started on the Legend which is the smallest in the fleet apparantly then the next cruise was on the Voyager! Loved the Promenade but found there was LOTS of walking and LOTS of waiting at the elevators with so many on board.

Next we cruised the Rhapsody to Fiji. This cruise was everything I'd ever hoped a cruise to the South Pacific to be! Great ship, wonderful crew, fantastic company and idyllic (sp?) ports of call.

Now I've experienced the Radiance with all her light-filled bars, public aeas and restaurants. But..... being a 24/7 carer for my Mum I feel that I didn't get to know her well enough to say if I enjoyed her the most but I really enjoyed the itinery!

I'm about 90% certain that I'll be booking the same cruise on her again in October 2014. This time it will be with my 'crusing buddies' so I'm sure to have a great time!

No, I can't pick a "favourite" as they're all great in their own unique ways!

I took this photo of a Western Australia sunrise from our porthole on Deck 4 one morning.

I would go up to deck 5 most mornings of our last week on-board for a sunrise photo only to be disappointed. The best morning apparantly was the morning after Mum injured herself so I missed it.

Anyway, this wasn't too bad. Very red!

DSCF0270_zpsfac1d561.jpg

Hi Gae Have enjoyed reading your review and love the pics we will be doing a similar cruise next year . But forgive my ignorance but did you mean sunrise or sunset, but anyway thanks for the review:)

Your mum isn't looking too pleased to pose for you in this one.:D

I think she was about ready to throw me over the side! Mind you, I was about ready to jump too just for some peace & quiet! :) Thankfully, things got better.

Hi Gae Have enjoyed reading your review and love the pics we will be doing a similar cruise next year . But forgive my ignorance but did you mean sunrise or sunset, but anyway thanks for the review:)

We were on the Port side (left side) cruising down the West Australian coast so yes, surprisingly, this was a sunrise! I have the shot just before it as the sun rises out of the sea which wasn't too interesting as there were no clouds in the morning sky but then this next shot showed the sun glowing on the water with a red haze all around!

I was surprised to get it looking like that!

Thank you!

Happy to share Bali private tour guide details. Just let him know that you obtained them from Gae from the Radiance as I told him I'd be recommending him after the great way he looked after us!

email: dewa@balicarservice.com

He might have to purchase another vehicle and pay another driver if he gets really busy!

Thanks so much Gae! I'll definitely let him know you recommended him.

I have listed below the ships tours for the last 3 ports.

PORT HEDLAND

As mentioned before, the only tour offered here was the BHP Mine Tour - 1hr - $62

This coach tour has a mine host who explains how the iron ore travels from the Newman mine plus other inland mines in the Pilbara to its final destination with steel producers overseas.

GERALDTON

1) Historic Greenough - 3.5hrs - $129. Explore the stone buildings at this historical settlement which briefly flourished at the end of the 19th Century. Visit the Greenough Pioneer Museum.

2) Oakabella Homestead & Winery - 3.5hrs - $135. Explore the restored 13 room house at Oakabella Homestead. Travel to the Chapman Valley for WA's northernmost wine estate for wine sampling.

3) Greenough Wildlife, Bird Park & Leaning Trees - 3hrs - $109. Learn about the early pioneers. See the cute & cuddly animals. Visit the historic Greenough settlement. See the famous leaning trees.

4) Geraldton & WA Museum - 3hrs - $99. Discover the maritime history of the region at the museum and via a narrated coach tour of Geraldton. Visit HMAS Sydney Memorial dedicated to the ship & sailors lost at sea. Learn about the heritage of the local Yamaji people.

5) Geraldton Hop on Hop Off Bus - At your leisure - $39. The easiest way to see the sights of the area. Volunteers at the HMAS Memorial guide guests around. Hop on, hop off to visit all the local sights.

PERTH (FREMANTLE)

1) Fremantle & Perth Orientation - 3.5hrs - $49. Drive through Fremantle & Perth. Pass the Round House, an old 12-sided jail and the Maritime Museum. Enjoy Burswood Park, pass city sights before visiting Kings Park overlooking the Swan River & the city of Perth.

2) Twin Cities & River Cruise - 4.5hrs - $99. A tour of Perth stopping at Kings Park for views of the city and river. Enjoy a river cruise between Perth & Fremantle with commentary and a coffee break. Visit Fremantle Prison, the Round House & the Maritime Museum before returning to your ship.

3) Twin Cities with Airport Drop Off - 3.5hrs - $85. From the Pier tour through Fremantle passing the Round House & the Maritime Museum. Continue to Perth with a brief stop at Kings Park. Continue sight-seeing en route to the airport.

The porters were very busy at Fremantle getting all our luggage off. We had a late disembarkment so it was interesting watching all the activity.

I had earlier shots as we entered the Fremantle Harbour but the glare from the water didn't make for good photos so I've deleted them.

DSCF0390_zps93b091cc.jpg

This photo shows that disembarkment was via Deck 5. Volunteers were there in the Terminal to assist us and remind us that there was no foodstuffs allowed. We had a Customs Form in our hand as we made our way downstairs to collect our luggage where there were more volunteers to assist us before we passed through the Customs area.

There was bedlam outside with buses, tour coaches, taxis and private cars to pick up the passengers but eventually everyone sorted themselves out.

DSCF0391_zpsd40c930e.jpg

Great photo review Gae. We are on her in 39 days and can't wait! I read half your thread on the weekend and the other half tonight. Can't remember if you said you tried any of the speciality restaurants or not.

Thank you!

No, this time we didn't try any specialty restaurants as we found the selections in both the Main Dining Room and in the Windjammers Buffet more than adequently met our expectations.

We have tried them on previous cruises and would certainly recommend you celebrate a special occasion at one of them. We didn't see too many at eithre Rita's or Samba Grill but then, there may have been more there later in the evenings.

There is the option to purchase a Dining Package either online prior to your cruise for which you must pay prior or you can purchase this on your first day in which case the cost is added to your onboard account.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

Thank you!

No, this time we didn't try any specialty restaurants as we found the selections in both the Main Dining Room and in the Windjammers Buffet more than adequently met our expectations.

We have tried them on previous cruises and would certainly recommend you celebrate a special occasion at one of them. We didn't see too many at eithre Rita's or Samba Grill but then, there may have been more there later in the evenings.

There is the option to purchase a Dining Package either online prior to your cruise for which you must pay prior or you can purchase this on your first day in which case the cost is added to your onboard account.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

Thanks Gae for this info. Once again loved your photo review!

Hi again Gae, just thought of another question - Are the C&A loyality booklets still paper on Radiance or are the vouchers loaded onto your sea pass?

Still in the booklet form. I think they're being fazed in ship by ship. Hopefully it will be some time before we have to cope with the ones loaded on our sea passes.

Hi there! Just bringing you all up to date!

My group of 6 cruise buddies have booked this same cruise in October 2014. Let's hope the weather is as kind next time as we experienced this year!

REMEMBER: Any questions either about the ship and/or the ports visited please don't hesitate to ask.

Gae

• 8 months later...