Taxi's in Vancouver

pbk917

Being a former New Yorker, I know that it's appropriate to step out into the street to hail a cab in NY. This, I learned is not proper in Philadelphia. What is the "Proper" way to get a taxi in Vancouver? Are there taxi stands? Can I hail one from the street?

only experience I had in vancouver was getting from the airport to the hotel, once you get your luggage and thru customs, simply go outside and we had the choice of taxi, limo or shuttle all waiting right there parked curbside. we opted for the limo at $39 (canadian) per car because an airport employee told me that a cab could be just as expensive during rush hour because they charge by the time and at rush hour would end up the same if not more than $39.

I believe the shuttle was $12 per person and would make several stops along the way at the various hotels, so certainly not worth it to us.

sorry but we did not have the need for a taxi so I can't say that I even noticed them or if there were stands. I would imagine they are readily available as Vancouver is a rather large city. I am sure someone else with experience will reply.

All a local who lives and works downtown, all major hotels downtown have taxi stands. Unless its Friday afternoon, there is usually at least one taxi in the stand waiting for a passenger. You can try to get one off the street, but Vancouver taxis get 90% of there pick-ups over a radio. So if they are empty they just might be on a call to pick someone up. Either way there are plenty of taxis in the downtown area.

Archived