Review Of A Fantastic Week On Freedom Of The Seas (Western) - October 13-20, 2013

bigque

This day was also the 2nd Formal Night with the famed lobster dinner which I reviewed back in my food and MDR review.

After dinner we did our usual walk around the Promenade, sat and people watched which had become a favorite thing to do and after a little while went back to the room. About 9:30 headed up to Olive or Twist to watch a little of band jam session with musicians of Men of Culture, Temperature and even a few of the musicians that play music in the production shows. They would take turns playing different songs with different musicians sitting and taking turns jamming with each other. It was real cool…I enjoyed that! At 10:30 I headed to Studio “B” to watch a little of The Quest”. I stayed about 15 minutes and left. Ok now don’t throw rocks at me, but I am one of the few people that **GASP** don’t really like Quest. There is a couple of funny things but overall I’m not a fan and it is not “Must See” for me!

At 11:45 I headed up to the Solarium for “The Twenty by Absolut Party. It wasn’t a bad party. There were lots of people there and they partied and they danced and it seems everybody was having a good time!

105_zps74076cfd.jpgThe Solarium At Night!

001_zpsc54f15df.jpg

003_zpsc398caf1.jpg

It was suppose to last till 2:00, but at about12:45 I began to realize that this 56 year old body had been trying to perpetrate like it was still 20 something and the 56 year old mind said you need to take your behind to your cabin and go to bed! LOL! So I did and that was the end of the Grand Cayman day!

Grand Cayman – B- / Island Tour and Tikki Beach (Ship Sponsored Excursion) - C

Next Up - Day 6 - Cozumel Mexico

Edited by bigque

Mike,

Your review just keeps getting better; it's almost like actually being there with you guys! Can't wait for my turn in December. ;):p

Thanks RubyDog! Glad You Are Enjoying It! :cool:

There is a a young lady on here name Chrystal, that writes the best reviews and I always said when I write my next one I wanted to write one that keeps your interest as she does! I think she's one of the best at doing it and gives me my inspiration!

Edited by bigque

I am going to start this review of my cruise aboard Freedom Of The Seas – Western Caribbean a little different than my last review of Serenade of the Seas. I am first going to give my impressions and myopinions and things I noticed concerning some of the most discussed topics here on Cruise Critic. I will be adding grades (A,B,C,D, or F). After that I will move on to the good stuff….The review of the ship and ports along with lots of pictures.

A Quick Brief About Us:

We are a couple are middle age couple (I am 56 and the wife is…….I’m would get killed if I put her age out there) that qualifies for the Senior Discount when available from North Carolina. This was our 3rd cruise (Gold Members) which have all been on Royal Caribbean with the first cruise on Sovereign of the Seas and the 2nd on Serenade of the Seas. We went on Sovereign even after reading all kinds of bad reviews and we loved it and started us cruising. We have been cruising on average of every other year except we have another booked for next year for our first back to back years.

Food & Food Facilities:

During the week of the cruise we ate at different places on board including the MDR, Windjammer, Sorento’s, Pizza, Johnny Rockets, Chop’s and Portifino.

Main Dining Room:

054_zpsa0618624.jpg

053_zps205eb965.jpg

I have read many threads concerning the food in the MDR and have often times made comments in those threads. I am not going to go into what we ate each night but will give my overall opinion for the week. I thought the food was average to fair. My wife thought that food was poor to average. There was nothing we ate during the week that we thought was just totally excellent. It was hit and miss with each course that was served (Appetizers, main course & deserts). My wife has diabetes so she eats sugar free deserts and she noticed that the sugar free deserts were much better on our previous cruises. I enjoyed the second formal night best with the fisherman’s seafood platter and I ordered two lobster tails up front and when I finished one plate the other was brought to me right away. I just started eating lobster on my last cruise as I was never a fan of lobster and I have only had it two other times up till this cruise. With that being said, I thought it was pretty good, but I’m going to talk about lobster again later.

Our waiter for the week was always good at bringing you something else if you did not like what you had and folks at our table would also sometimes order two of appetizers, main course and deserts and they were brought with no problems and a smile. For those who had soda packages the Assistant Waiter always had their favorite drink at the table upon arrival.

Dinner Dress Suggestion in the MDR per the Cruise Compass:

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Monday)

Day 3 – Smart Casual

Day 4 – Tropical Casual

Day 5 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 6 – Casual

Day 7 - Casual

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There are two formal nights on this cruise on Monday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in some Tuxes, suits, shirt and times, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review.

My Ratings: MDR Food – C+ / Service B+

Windjammer:

047_zpsb4297ff7.jpg

1st there is no longer Honey Stung Chicken on embarkation day. Most days we breakfast and lunch here and there were a couple of days we ordered breakfast through room service one being a part of the classic romance package I pre-ordered.

It appeared that they had less of a variety of offerings at breakfast and lunch. A new friend we met on this cruise was like “What happened to the donuts”? At lunch we were able to find something to suit or fancy be it hot food or cold cuts. As with the MDR, this too was a hit and miss venture and if got something I didn’t like I would just let the waiter take it away and then go get something else. The Breakfast my wife didn’t like at all. I hated those powdered scrambled eggs, and the coffee was so so to yuck some days. I was glad to have the classic romance package breakfast delivered to the room as it had real eggs!

Breakfast and lunch were always packed out especially lunch on sea days but we were always able to find a table empty to sit at. There were always tables in the front at the entrance by the bar available, so we would usually sit up there.

That is all I have to say about the Windjammer.

Breakfast – D / Lunch – B / Dinner – N/A

Johnny Rockets:

010_zpse1da4e4d.jpg

This was well worth the $4.95 price of admission. We wanted to try it out one day for lunch for a change of pace, so the 2nd sea day was a perfect time. The burgers on the bar in the Windjammer were typical buffet bar burgers…dry but edible. Johnny Rockets burgers were outstanding, nice and juicy and very tasty. I had a big double cheese burger with bacon, lettuce, tomatoes and onion rings on it and a bowl of chili…..superb! Wife just had a regular cheese burger and she thought it was very good. They bring you out a plate of Onion Rings and French Fries without even asking. The onion rings were very good. I also had a strawberry shake that was very thick and delicious! The waiter was very nice and efficient. We also enjoyed the little dance number that the waiters do every so often.

Food – A+ / Service - A

Sorento’s Pizza:

039_zps0711211e.jpg

We usually stopped by here late night after doing a little partying and would grab a couple of slices of pizza a piece to take back to the room and also grabbed a few slices to take back to the room one day after a long hot day of our excursion. The pizza wasn’t bad for a quick late night snack. It’s not as good as Pizza Hut which is my favorite chain pizza but it wasn’t too bad!

Pizza – B

Thanks for the Review Mike we are also in our 50" we are going with friends that are multiple cruiser's this is our 2nd first time on FOS LEAVING 2/2/2014 Keep it coming advice/reviews are always welcome. DAN AND DAR

104_zps7a56384b.jpg

Day 6 - Cozumel Mexico

Ok so now I won’t bore you with the morning details because if you been following along, the morning routine did not change today. The ships arrival in Cozumel was not till 10:00 so I was able to take some pictures out on my balcony before going to breakfast and getting started on the last port stop on the cruise.

I looked out and I saw (which I didn’t know at the time) was the ship “Carnival Conquest” headed into Cozumel also. The port was going to be a little crowded today however they said some times you have 5 ships in here at a time so I guess we were fortunate for it to be us and one other ship.

015_zpsecd34094.jpg

021_zps93939b07.jpg

025_zpsb1022151.jpg

029_zpsde13a42c.jpg

031_zps4840587e.jpg

Thanks for the Review Mike we are also in our 50" we are going with friends that are multiple cruiser's this is our 2nd first time on FOS LEAVING 2/2/2014 Keep it coming advice/reviews are always welcome. DAN AND DAR

Dan & Dar, Thank You! You will love FOS...Great Ship...So much to do, so little time! :cool:

033_zps15d7d23f.jpg

037_zps1faf480d.jpg

040_zps08abfdae.jpg

042_zps13b5a193.jpg

043_zps25399beb.jpg

Rather than taking a tour in Cozumel for an excursion, we decided upon the ship sponsored “Salsa, Salsa & Margarita Excursion. On this excursion you learn how to make 4 different salsa’s, a desert salsa, guacamole, 2 different types of margaritas and also learn “How” to salsa! It also included time on the private beach at the end or you can opt to be taken back to ship. This turned out to be a real fun day. We really didn’t know what to expect and was really taking a chance on this excursion. Hoping that it would be good! The guide led us to the taxis’ with about 8 or 10 people to a taxi to take us to a small hotel resort on the beach (About a 10 minute ride) for the excursion. We were taken upstairs to an outdoor patio where the fun and festivities were to take place and given a Chefs Hat and an apron!

The hostess/lead instructor was a real fun young lady who was born right there in Mexico. While were learning to make each salsa one at a time, we were given margaritas to enjoy. The margaritas were all you can drink all day long, including the two you made yourself and any time during the lessons that the two bartenders would see you glass half empty they were filling it back up to the top without asking. If you didn’t want anymore I guess you better yell out “No Mas, No Mas” like you were Roberto Duran in a Sugar Ray Leonard Fight! LOL! The salsa and margarita making part of the lasted for a little over 2 hours. A real fun highlight was when we learned how to salsa. After we were instructed on all the various moves (One such move was “Wax On…Wax Off) they put the music on and we partnered up and did the salsa. Everyone there including ourselves had a blast and I would highly recommend this excursion in Cozumel if you are looking for something different and fun to do!……And did I say…….. all you can drink margaritas all day long??? You have to really pace yourself on those or you could leave feeling a little….no a whole lot toasted! When we were done, no excursion would be complete without them trying to sell you something and they delivered. We purchased the bowl and little smasher, a cookbook and a Salsa, Salsa Margarita Apron. Our guide called a taxi for us and some others that wanted to go back to the ship while some decided to stay to get in some beach time.

Edited by bigque

104_zps7a56384b.jpg

Day 6 - Cozumel Mexico

Ok so now I won’t bore you with the morning details because if you been following along, the morning routine did not change today. The ships arrival in Cozumel was not till 10:00 so I was able to take some pictures out on my balcony before going to breakfast and getting started on the last port stop on the cruise.

I looked out and I saw (which I didn’t know at the time) was the ship “Carnival Conquest” headed into Cozumel also. The port was going to be a little crowded today however they said some times you have 5 ships in here at a time so I guess we were fortunate for it to be us and one other ship.

We were in Cozumel on a cruise back in March and there were seven, yes seven, ships in port that day. That can get a little crowded. Your review is getting me more excited for our January cruise! Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We were in Cozumel on a cruise back in March and there were seven, yes seven, ships in port that day. That can get a little crowded. Your review is getting me more excited for our January cruise! Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Wow! That would be a lot of people to be there at one time, I couldn't imagine! And Thank You!

Great review! I was on the same cruise and it brings back lots of good memories :D

Keep up the good work!

Yes! It brings back the memories for me as I go along! When I finished this review it will then feel like it's a closure.....till the next cruise! :D

We did not purchase one of the drink packages as it would not benefit us as we only spent $279.00 for the week for the two of us on drinks. The price of drinks were comparable to bars, clubs and restaurants in cities in the U.S. Most of my drink purchases were at the Sky Bar as on the first day on board I picked me out a bartender and gave him a couple of nice tips and provided me with some nice drinks for the week. Our drinks usually were margaritas and beer for me and the wife would usually have the drink of the day. At other times when below decks we would a drink at a club we were in or on the Royal Promenade. My margaritas were good in those venues but of course they were much better when I would go up to the Sky Bar and got one form my favorite bartender.

Drinks – A:

Who was your favorite bartender?

BonVoyage

Dawna

104_zps7a56384b.jpg

Day 6 - Cozumel Mexico

Which dock did the Freedom dock at in Cozumel?

Nevermind, I know by the frog in the g-string in the other photos further into the thread. hehe

BonVoyage

Dawna

Edited by CruisinDawn

Day 6 Continued:

After the excursion and back on the ship and dropping things off at the room, we went to the Champange Bar and actually bought a bottle of Champange and sat and people watched from there for a little while till it was time to go get ready for dinner. In the evening after dinner we did our walking thing for a while, and then sat at an outside table at the Pub on the Promenade to people watch and to wait for the "70's" Party (Dancing In The Street) to begin. The 70's party from what I see does not change from ship to ship or year to year. This was basically the same as it was on my Serenade Cruise in 2010 with different people. It was the same music (Saturday Night Fever & Village People) with the CD & cast dressing up in the same costumes. I would think that if they were going to continue with 70's parties it is time to come up with new fresh ideas. There was more to the 70's than just The Village People and Saturday Night Fever. Don't get me wrong it is enjoyable and a fun atmosphere, but I would just like to see some thing different. Also it really isn't a party but it is just watching the CD and his staff perform and after they perform the 70's party is over. There are other late night venues you can go to to party the night away but elected not to go on this night.

083_zpsfe7afd70.jpg

088_zpsae96fc20.jpg

098_zps96a68f82.jpg

099_zps4ac315d4.jpg

107_zps1653599e.jpg

And so ended our day 6!

Cozumel - B / Salsa, Salsa & Margarita Excursion - A+ / 70's Party - C

Up Next - Day 7 - Sea Day

Edited by bigque

Which dock did the Freedom dock at in Cozumel?

Nevermind, I know by the frog in the g-string in the other photos further into the thread. hehe

BonVoyage

Dawna

Yep! The International Pier!

I sure am enjoying your review! I'll be sailing Royal Caribbean for the first time this year - we have sailed Carnival and Norwegian before. How do you get to the "helipad" to take the great pictures? Also, I have heard so many wonderful things about the "honey stung chicken" - I'm sad and disappointed to hear that it is no longer offered on the buffet. Oh well. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a wonderful review!

Cindy

I sure am enjoying your review! I'll be sailing Royal Caribbean for the first time this year - we have sailed Carnival and Norwegian before. How do you get to the "helipad" to take the great pictures? Also, I have heard so many wonderful things about the "honey stung chicken" - I'm sad and disappointed to hear that it is no longer offered on the buffet. Oh well. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a wonderful review!

Cindy

To get to the Helipad you go outside on the 4th deck on ether side (Starboard or Port) and go forward up the stairs and then up the stairs again and you are there. And Thank You! :cool:

Hi! We were on the same cruise and totally agree with the 70s night needing updated. Good idea but really the music should just be dancing in the street with YMCA etc there are lots of great tunes out there for a good party.

Also it did get a bit wild with our 11 year daughter getting elbowed in the face by an adult desperate for a flashing ring thrown by the staff - he didn't even acknowledge it had happened although she had been bashed enough to have an injury to her cheek and mouth was bleeding :-(((. Not good and totally unnecessary! You would have thought it was diamonds (or MK bags!) getting thrown out!!

Hi! We were on the same cruise and totally agree with the 70s night needing updated. Good idea but really the music should just be dancing in the street with YMCA etc there are lots of great tunes out there for a good party.

Also it did get a bit wild with our 11 year daughter getting elbowed in the face by an adult desperate for a flashing ring thrown by the staff - he didn't even acknowledge it had happened although she had been bashed enough to have an injury to her cheek and mouth was bleeding :-(((. Not good and totally unnecessary! You would have thought it was diamonds (or MK bags!) getting thrown out!!

We were located right outside the pub during this time at the table we had been sitting at waiting for the party. There was a little girl about 8 or nine with her mother by us who wanted one and they tried to thow one down to her and some adult grabbed it. They threw another one and I grabbed it and gave it to her and when they threw down the wristbands I grabbed one of those and gave it to her also. She wound up with two of the rings and a wrist band! :cool:

Mike, Wow AWESOME, AWESOME review.

I am seriously considering the same Dunns River Express tour you did while in Falmouth. I want to do the Falls again as the last time I did was with the wife 19 years ago and its going to be a blast to now take my teenage sons to do it. My question is did you look into a private excursion to do the Falls or was it just easier to do it with the cruise line. I think this excursion will be 280 bucks for four of us which is not a big deal. Its more important for me to get back and spend some time in the Falmouth Port like you did.

Just want to do the Falls and a quick Lunch stop (jerk chicken and some Red Stripes; Mon) and then head back to port..

Mike, Wow AWESOME, AWESOME review.

I am seriously considering the same Dunns River Express tour you did while in Falmouth. I want to do the Falls again as the last time I did was with the wife 19 years ago and its going to be a blast to now take my teenage sons to do it. My question is did you look into a private excursion to do the Falls or was it just easier to do it with the cruise line. I think this excursion will be 280 bucks for four of us which is not a big deal. Its more important for me to get back and spend some time in the Falmouth Port like you did.

Just want to do the Falls and a quick Lunch stop (jerk chicken and some Red Stripes; Mon) and then head back to port..

I did not look at anything else. I saw that it was a quick trip to climb the falls with the lunch stop on the way back. You will get back with plenty of time to walk around the port for 2 or 3 hours! It worked out real good!