Dog sledding in Anchorage

eppler

I am planning a cruise/tour that starts in Anchorage for next summer. When I ask the kids what is the one thing they "have" to do their response is always, go play with the sled dog puppies and maybe take a sled ride. Since we have so much on our wish list I was thinking of flying into Anchorage a day earlier and doing the sled dogs then. This would also potentially help avoid it getting cancelled later due to weather issues (maybe). Long story short, but has anyone had experience doing the "dog thing" in Anchorage???

On our Royal Caribbean cruise, dog sledding excursions were offered in Juneau and Skagway. If you don't have the additional time, then it's still possible to do this as an excursion during the cruise.

In Juneau and Skagway there are usually two types of tours - the one using helicopters to get to a glacier and then the ones on land like in Dyea near Skagway. Obviously the land ones are much less expensive since they don't involve the helicopter.

Full disclosure that haven't ever been to AK yet, but I was looking at this kennel which would be more of a day trip from Anchorage. We will have own transportation but looks like they offer it too for $$$. Got good reviews on tripadvisor, and my kids (and me) intrigued by "hike with puppies" activity.

http://www.vernhalter.com/SummerKennelTours/

• 2 months later...