POA November 2013 - What to do in Kona?

JoJoVirgo

Hello fellow cruisers!

I have seen various threads about Hawaii and what to do in Kona, but I still need help. It is my wedding anniversary the day we are in Kona on November 20th on POA and I am looking for something to do that doesn't involve snorkeling or hiking (various reasons to avoid these!). Looking for something about 3-4 hours long and is relaxing. We are considering renting a car but not sure we want to go that route. Usually we are very get-up-and-go kind of people who run themselves ragged on vacation, but this vacation is the first time we are doing the, "put us in front of something and tell us why it is important". Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!!!

A couple of options:

Rent a car and drive a short distance (maybe 20 minutes) to the coffee growing area on the sides of Hualalai volcano. You could stop in the village of Holualoa, which has some great galleries, then visit one of the many coffee plantations which offer tours. Before dropping off the car, drive down Alii Drive for about 4 or 5 miles south of the pier and stop at one of several small beautiful beaches - just sit on a sea wall and watch the waves, and maybe some turtles, for awhile.

Stay in Kona and just stroll the several blocks around the pier. Visit the Hulihee Palace and Moku'aikaua Church, completed in 1837, both just steps away from where the tender drops you off. Stroll some of the shops in the Kona Inn shopping area just past the palace; most of the stuff is pretty typical tourist stuff, but there are a few surprises. Continue all the way to the end on the right side and you'll find a tiny shop that has all locally made items. Stop in the Kona Inn for lunch and a great MaiTai, with a great view across the sea wall to your ship in the harbor.

I absolutely second Kartgv's idea of strolling around town and stopping at the Kona Inn for lunch and a MaiTai. This is always a treat for us when we visit the Kona side of the island.

Happy Anniversary!!!

Looking for something about 3-4 hours long and is relaxing. We are considering renting a car but not sure we want to go that route.

Hi JoJoVirgo,

I can't give you more information of what to do other than what it is around the port. Really, just around the port. :p

But, who knows, maybe it can give you some ideas.

Kona is a tendered port. you can count it on your 3-4 hours timing.

This pic, I took when we were there last September.

f9026d6e-9895-496a-beb1-964ad617ad3c_zps07042ee7.jpg

We sat on one of the restaurants. I don't remember the name... o boy. We got discount as cruise passengers.

1. The (Carnival) Miracle :D

2. Tender

3. Area where the excursions buses and shuttles park. ehm, the building next to #3 is a restroom :o

4. you can find taxis here

5. This is where we did our excursion. in front of King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel.

- I think the beach is open for public. With the excursion we get chair, umbrella & snorkel gear for the duration of 9am-3pm plus the Historical Hawaii Outrigger Tour for 1 hour. Kona boys take care this excursion.

Just to add, maybe someone else need it: if you just want to rent something (chair,umbrella,snorkel gear, etc) at this location, you can check out this website.

- ABC store is located around the corner #5, part of the hotel.

6. Kona Square

and Kona Inn is at the direction of where the white truck came from. click here.

Happy Annyversary & enjoy your visit. ;)

Elsa

You might consider visiting the Mokuaikaua Church and Hulihe'e Palace, both in Kona not too far from the pier. There is also a nice collection of historical items in the hallway of the King Kam Hotel. We just happened upon it last year on a visit. I hope you enjoy your visit. Cherie

Just got back from our trip on the POA and I loved Kona-we got up late that morning as we had planned to take a ship excursion which did not leave until 1. Got off the boat around 10 and walked the town, went to the Farmers Market which is just up the road-checked out alot of shops and we got a wonderful shaved ice right across from the boat, it was my favorite of all that we had on our trip! The excursion we took was so much fun, Captain Zodiac Raft, Snorkel & Dolphin Adventure , it left right from the pier -lasted 3.5 hours and took us on a fast and furious ride-we got to jump into water a mile deep to swim and than snorkeled in a really nice spot for over an hour. We were blessed to see a school of dolphins who were happy to plan in the wake of our raft on the way back to the ship. There had to be over 40 in total that followed us. This was possibly the excursion I had the most fun on in all the islands, we are both in our 60's and both DH and I loved it!!! Kona really is a great port to just relax and walk around but if you want to add a bit of adventure and snorkeling to your day-than I do recommend that tour. I think you would be able to book it yourself right at the pier for a cheaper price than we paid as they are located just to the left the ship but honestly am not sure of that. Enjoy your cruise-the island are gorgeous!!! Woops just went back and reread your post where it says you are NOT interested in snorkeling-so had to edit this post but left the information for others you might be

Edited by skrebelr

Our first time to Kona we got a car and went to Point of Refuge then using a map we found online went to check out the coffee plantations. Our 2 trips after that we did nothing BUT Go to coffee plantations. We Loved chatting with the people, trying the different coffees and seeing the endless rows of coffee beans. Some have full on tours, others are as small as someone's living room. Everyone had a great story though and we always come home with a TON of awesome coffee. It is one of those few times we felt like we really connected with the residents of the island.