Triumph 5 day vs Magic 7 day

jtwanabe

I've done the Triumph 5 day for 3 years in a row. Still love it. Fits well

with my budget & schedule. But now I'm thinking about trying the

Magic 7 day cruise. I don't really go for the sites but for the relaxation.

Anyway I would like to hear from folks who have done both and what

the pros and cons are.

Thanks in advance,

JT:D

Edited by jtwanabe

the pros and cons are.

Thanks in advance,

For me 7 days always beats 5 days and change is usually a good thing. It will be a new experience for you.

Edited by kcwingwalker

We loved the triumph (pre upgrades) and enjoyed the itinerary of progresso and cozumel. I'm not one for sea days so I think 4 would be to many for me, so I wouldn't do Magic unless I really wanted to go to a specific port.

Sailing out of Galveston was fabulous and easy!

I did 7 days on the magic and 4 on the triumph. I have also done a 5 day so I know the feel of it. Magic is a beautiful ship. The waterworks was great for the kids. Lots of food options. The ports were great. The progreso/cozumel itin is just meh. That being said, i leave for 5 days on the triumph in 3 weeks. I always will prefer magic, but sometimes the budget wont allow. I do think its worth trying if you havent been on her yet.

We loved the triumph (pre upgrades) and enjoyed the itinerary of progresso and cozumel. I'm not one for sea days so I think 4 would be to many for me, so I wouldn't do Magic unless I really wanted to go to a specific port.

Sailing out of Galveston was fabulous and easy!

Magic doesn't have cruises with 4 sea days. They have 3, with 2 in a row, and 3 ports. I would say Magic, because she is newer and there is much more to see in Grand Cayman or Belize or Nassau than Progreso. A lot more amenities. You will enjoy whatever you chose.

Does it feel crowded with the extra passenger? Entertainment.

It did not feel crowded to us. We did bfast and lunch at the lido most days and i didnt think it felt anymore crowded than the triumph.

We didnt do any shows on the magic. We did the comedy. Both comedians on triumph were funny. One on magic was funny the other was so so. Note that we did agic june of '12 so comedians may change. Shows on triumph were ok. I am not a good judge bc those arent my thing.

Food quality was the same on both. More options on magic, but quality was good on triumph. Cold food was cold and hot food was hot. Had early dining on magic and atd on triumph. Service was good in the mdr on both.

both ships to me have their selling points, and downsides. While I didn't enjoy the main dining food on the magic, I loved cucina and the tandor and would sail her again if only for those options.

To me, magic is busy and with more people comes an experience that is less personal, as you don't see the same people throughout your cruise, while some would prefer that, I enjoy meeting fellow cruisers and saying hi as we pass.

If it were me, I would choose the magic just for a new experience

Does it feel crowded with the extra passenger? Entertainment.

There are extra passengers, but there is also more public space, quite a bit more of each. It balances out, so it's about equal between both ships. Magic had surprisingly very short food lines, even when eating at peak times. Triumph added in Guys burgers & Blue Iguana cantina, which may have added some things, but it also took several things away that Magic still has. On Triumph, no more burgers available in the evening. No more grill cooking up food late into the evening. If you're hungry late (by late I mean after 8:30 or so), it's pizza & ice cream only. No more Mexican buffet during the deck party. That's only on Triumph; Magic will still have those. Magic has the free pasta bar for lunch, which becomes an extra pay Italian restaurant at dinner. Magic has a lanai (outdoor walkway) that circles the ship on deck 5, and it serves up a BBQ on sea days. Magic has a great waterpark, with 2 large slides, kiddie slides, splash factory, big structure, & dump bucket. Magic also has a ropes course. Lots of extras on Magic, but people who don't utilize the extras would probably prefer a ship without it.

Entertainment. Triumph's production shows are 2 of the best in the Carnival fleet: The Big Easy & Wonderful World. I love those 2 shows & could watch them over & over! Magic's production shows were okay at best. I usually love these shows, but I don't remember a thing from either of them. However, they do have a pretty amazing magic show. The overall edge goes to the Triumph, in my opinion.

My favorite 2 ships have been Dream (Magic's sister) & Triumph. You can't go wrong with whatever you decide, so I would recommend going with Magic for something new.

We just did the 5 day because we left the kiddo at home but next time will definitely be a 7 day. I ran out of time to do everything I wanted in 5 days. 7 days really gives you more time to settle and relax. And honestly out of Galveston the 7 day cruises aren't much more than the 5. Sorry, don't have any cons against a 7 day. And if you want pros for the 5 it's that the Triumph has Guys and Blue Iguana. But Magic has waterworks and Serenity. So I guess it depends exactly what you want :) Good luck making your choice.

the pros and cons are.

Thanks in advance,

I love 7 days cruises and if you haven't sailed on the Magic I definitely would choose it. We did the Magic in February and it was wonderful. Didn't feel crowded and we all had a wonderful time. We leave on Saturday to do the 5 night on the Triumph. Normally I would not book a short cruise, but DH and I needed a quick getaway to just relax and we thought the Triumph would be perfect! We have already been to Cozumel several times and aren't too interested in Progreso, but are looking forward to relaxing and doing absolutely nothing if we feel like it.

Triumph added in Guys burgers & Blue Iguana cantina, which may have added some things, but it also took several things away that Magic still has. On Triumph, no more burgers available in the evening. No more grill cooking up food late into the evening. If you're hungry late (by late I mean after 8:30 or so), it's pizza & ice cream only.

Triumph does still have the late night option. Its called Off the Grill on Lido Aft from 11:30pm til 1am. Both ships are great but I loved the longer cruise. More days to look out at that beautiful water!

If it fits your schedule and budget I would say go for the Magic. It is a nice experience and you will really enjoy it. I have been on both this year and reviewed them in my blog if you want to check it out. I have pictures as well.

It's a win-win though :) You can't go wrong with either one ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'm the oddball of this group, because I would much prefer the Triumph. I've been on the Triumph 3 times (just got off of it last week) and the Magic once, last November. The Magic was a beautiful ship and I loved the waterworks and the stuff for kids, but it was SOOOOO much more crowded. We had to go to everything way ahead of time to get a seat on the Magic and not so much so on the Triumph. The Triumph is a much more close knit, personal ship and the crew is absolutely the best. The Magic, not so much so.

On that note, I'd much rather be on a 7 day cruise than a 5 day, just wish it could be on the Triumph instead of the Magic.