Denali Tour Upgrade thru Celibrity

over spending cruisers

We will be doing a 3 day land tour prior to our Celibrity cruise which includes Denali's Natural History Tour but would like to upgrade to the Tundra Wlderness Tour and wondering if anyone has done this and what the additional cost was. Thanks.

There is more to your question- are you going to have time to do the longer tour? What is your EXACT land tour- list it specifically here- not just the number where we have to look it up.

Overall, Celebrity does not refund, and I have not known the to upgrade either. So you may have to step it up yourself, and either eat the NHT, and purchase a shuttle/tour bus yourself= along with managing yourself to get to it.

Otherwise, I suggest you add days and change your cruisetour. 3 day add ons aren't enough time.

There is more to your question- are you going to have time to do the longer tour? What is your EXACT land tour- list it specifically here- not just the number where we have to look it up.

Overall, Celebrity does not refund, and I have not known the to upgrade either. So you may have to step it up yourself, and either eat the NHT, and purchase a shuttle/tour bus yourself= along with managing yourself to get to it.

Otherwise, I suggest you add days and change your cruisetour. 3 day add ons aren't enough time.

The land tour consists of:

Arrive and overnight in Fairbanks with tours there in day 1 again overnighting there 2nd night. Travel to Denali by rail next day with natural history tour included but with optional tundra wilderness tour available at extra cost (but no one at Celibrity can tell us how much more hence this posting). Day 3 is travel to Anchorage with tours in the am and finally to Seward for the cruise.

if you look at the Alaska Railroad site, the trip to Denali will be 8am to noon, so you only have the afternoon available on Day 2. That's why you have the NHT.

The shuttle bus schedule to Eielson offers a lot more availability ... during peak season there's a bus leaving every half hour. The schedule will be posted in December. See what's available at 1 or 1:30pm so you don't feel rushed.

Since you're on a cruisetour, your luggage will be delivered to your room, so you could easily get off the train (the depot is inside the park) then walk to the Wilderness Access Center to get your tickets and hop on a shuttle bus.

This entrance area map shows the depot, Wilderness Access Center. There's a free shuttle bus that runs along the park road entrance area buildings or you could walk since it's less than 1/2 mile.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/1300-px-dena_detail_map-2.jpg

Edited by mapleleaves
map

The land tour consists of:

Arrive and overnight in Fairbanks with tours there in day 1 again overnighting there 2nd night. Travel to Denali by rail next day with natural history tour included but with optional tundra wilderness tour available at extra cost (but no one at Celibrity can tell us how much more hence this posting). Day 3 is travel to Anchorage with tours in the am and finally to Seward for the cruise.

The upgrade cost, should be at least $60++++ per person. The rates can be found http://www.reservedenali.com

As mentioned the shuttle buses are also available, and getting to Eielson a big plus. IF you had another day- you could try and exchange your Celebrity purchased tour for a shuttle at about the same cost. But this is NOT an option for you with only one day. In the past, the last Eielson shuttle bus is 2pm, which is what I would consider. Problem is- you are going to have to figure out, how you would get back to your hotel?? It's possible, to prearrange a cab, or the hotel may have late pick ups? But - it may not be an easy fix.

With few people willing to go on their own, IF a Tundra Wilderness upgrade is available to you, the BOOK it no matter what the cost. I will always be of the opinion- Denali Park isn't worth going to without getting into the park. The Denali Park entrance, cost is a small portion of your total vacation cost anyway.

Toklat would be another destination to consider on the shuttle bus. It's only 6 1/2 hrs and costs around $30. It would get you to Milepost 53, and into bear viewing territory. The NHT only goes to Mile 17.

It will probably still be light at 10 or 11pm when you reach the Park entrance so walking back to Princess is a possibility. There's a well worn path ; about a 40 minute walk. Check with your bus-mates to see if they can give you a ride; it's only a mile away so not an inconvenience.

If it were me, I would get as far into the park as possible. The train arrives at noon, so you walk or take the free bus to the WAC. There should be an Eielson shuttle bus departing at 1pm and 2pm and probably a Toklat shuttle at 3pm. I would aim for the 1pm Eielson shuttle (gets back at 9pm). Be sure to pack food and drink from Fairbanks with you in your carry on for Denali. Send all your luggage to the hotel so you only have your day pack with you (food, water, camera, binoculars, rain gear, etc). Then as mapleleaves said, ask bus mates about bringing you back to the hotel afterward. Most likely someone is going that direction anyway and has room in their car.

You will need to book the shuttle in advance and have your plan in advance so you don't dilly dally once you get off the train. You will easily make the 1pm bus, even if the train is 1/2 hour late. If you happen to miss the 1pm shuttle, chances are good you will get on the 2pm anyway - generally the later shuttle buses are not sold out.

Two nights in Fairbanks and only one night in Denali. Very warped priorities for the cruise line, but I guess not - their objective is to make money and they make a lot more money booking tours in Fairbanks than booking a tour in Denali.

Edited by frugaltravel

We will be doing a 3 day land tour prior to our Celibrity cruise which includes Denali's Natural History Tour but would like to upgrade to the Tundra Wlderness Tour and wondering if anyone has done this and what the additional cost was. Thanks.

Celebrity's 2013 Land Tour Excursion brochure lists the Natural History Tour as $98 adult & $47 child. The Tundra Wilderness Tour is $159 adult and $76 child. This should give you an idea of the difference in price.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Toklat would be another destination to consider on the shuttle bus. It's only 6 1/2 hrs and costs around $30. It would get you to Milepost 53, and into bear viewing territory. The NHT only goes to Mile 17.

It will probably still be light at 10 or 11pm when you reach the Park entrance so walking back to Princess is a possibility. There's a well worn path ; about a 40 minute walk. Check with your bus-mates to see if they can give you a ride; it's only a mile away so not an inconvenience.

they aren't with Princess.

If it were me, I would get as far into the park as possible. The train arrives at noon, so you walk or take the free bus to the WAC. There should be an Eielson shuttle bus departing at 1pm and 2pm and probably a Toklat shuttle at 3pm. I would aim for the 1pm Eielson shuttle (gets back at 9pm). Be sure to pack food and drink from Fairbanks with you in your carry on for Denali. Send all your luggage to the hotel so you only have your day pack with you (food, water, camera, binoculars, rain gear, etc). Then as mapleleaves said, ask bus mates about bringing you back to the hotel afterward. Most likely someone is going that direction anyway and has room in their car.

You will need to book the shuttle in advance and have your plan in advance so you don't dilly dally once you get off the train. You will easily make the 1pm bus, even if the train is 1/2 hour late. If you happen to miss the 1pm shuttle, chances are good you will get on the 2pm anyway - generally the later shuttle buses are not sold out.

Two nights in Fairbanks and only one night in Denali. Very warped priorities for the cruise line, but I guess not - their objective is to make money and they make a lot more money booking tours in Fairbanks than booking a tour in Denali.

The Access Center does have a limited selection of food to purchase along with drinks, which may be more convenient.

The Access Center does have a limited selection of food to purchase along with drinks, which may be more convenient.

True, but very limited. I guess if they are going to wait until they get to Denali to get food, I would go to the Morino Grill and get something instead - they have pre-packaged sandwiches as well as a much greater selection than the WAC. And it is just a few steps from the train station very close to the bus stop for the bus that goes to the WAC.

Edited by frugaltravel