Dogs on Ships

e2011

No worries! My pleasure!

If you have any more of him you want to post, just email me :)

ex techie

Horton is my second Service Dog. My first one came to me in 2002, she's now 14 years old and is living the life of leisure at home. I have, no exaggeration, 22 albums of pictures of these two dogs [miracle workers!]

My first dog [brenda] took me out of the darkness and into life again and, it's now Horton's job to keep me there!

I won't bore anyone else with more pictures but just know that once you've lived with and been changed by a Service Dog, your picture taking skills don't get better, they just get more frequent!

Horton is my second Service Dog. My first one came to me in 2002, she's now 14 years old and is living the life of leisure at home. I have, no exaggeration, 22 albums of pictures of these two dogs [miracle workers!]

My first dog [brenda] took me out of the darkness and into life again and, it's now Horton's job to keep me there!

I won't bore anyone else with more pictures but just know that once you've lived with and been changed by a Service Dog, your picture taking skills don't get better, they just get more frequent!

I'm glad you still have Brenda with you :)

I can't imagine having a dog help you for so long and then them leaving when they are replaced.

Please give both Horton and Brenda a hug from me!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I'm glad you still have Brenda with you :)

I can't imagine having a dog help you for so long and then them leaving when they are replaced.

Please give both Horton and Brenda a hug from me!

ex techie

Some Service/Working Dog Orgs. don't allow you to keep both dogs. They ask that the retiring dog be sent to a "retirement home" [There are actually volunteer families who take care of the senior dog and see it into the end of life.] Amazing!

CCI allows you to keep both dogs, as long as one doesn't interfere with the other's work.

Brenda & Horton adore and have the deepest respect for each other. I wouldn't have it any other way. They're the best of friends!

I shall hug them both on your behalf! ;)

He is a beautiful dog! I don't even know him and I am proud of him because he seems to be doing his job well for you!

And, you know what? He loves to work! He's so cute in the morning how he picks up his leash in his mouth and gives me those eyes, that say; "what's your problem, let's get going!" I swear he hates to see me doing nothing......I feel like such a "slacker" around him!

Have a joyous, wonderful holiday EVERYONE!

haha! Me too and knew that you would love it!

Glad to see some playtime on the ships for the doggies!

And I bet that friend of Pluto had a great time too!

ex techie

I ALWAYS allow for "patting" and sitting with Horty, when we're cruising.

I've had some folks who literally lay on the floor with my dog and get their "fix!"

I totally understand how they're missing their own pets and even the crew who don't get to see their animals for months at a time. The fascination with a Service Dog and their amazing behavior captivates the public.

I always get asked if they may touch him. Most dog lovers just adore these miracle workers and when they're in the same vicinity as them, it just ovewhelms them! I understand, totally.

Also, it's so unusual to see a dog in the market, at the theatre or especially on a cruise ship.

There is a trip report written by the owner of Bingo, the service dog in the video on Disboards. He shows pictures of the kiddie pool with sod in it on his balcony and addresses many of these issues.

I am wondering where someone thinks the dog would go while the owner ate if the dog were relieved of duty during dinner. You couldn't just leave him in a hall outside. Can you imagine the possible disturbance from people wanting to interact? You couldn't leave him in the cabin - how would you get to and from? The dog resting under the table sounds most logical and least disruptive to all.

I watched a woman bring her lap dog in a local restaurant recently. It was in a soft sided carrier and she took a table without waiting for a hostess. I did not see her get the dog out or anything but why bring it in?

There is a trip report written by the owner of Bingo, the service dog in the video on Disboards. He shows pictures of the kiddie pool with sod in it on his balcony and addresses many of these issues.

I am wondering where someone thinks the dog would go while the owner ate if the dog were relieved of duty during dinner. You couldn't just leave him in a hall outside. Can you imagine the possible disturbance from people wanting to interact? You couldn't leave him in the cabin - how would you get to and from? The dog resting under the table sounds most logical and least disruptive to all.

I watched a woman bring her lap dog in a local restaurant recently. It was in a soft sided carrier and she took a table without waiting for a hostess. I did not see her get the dog out or anything but why bring it in?

When traveling, by air, land and sea; the Service/Working Dog NEVER leaves its handlers side. It will be with him/her EVERY WHERE! If it is not working, it will lay by her side, or under a table or chair. The reason the Service/Working is with someone is because it mitigates a problem that the person has and is needed to be with the person.

Restaurants do not allow "pets" in them. It is actually a health ordinance and therefore against the law. You, as a patron, may ask the person to leave.

I totally understand why some folks want and need their "pets" to be with them wherever they go. However, it is against health laws to bring them into some establishments. The law is there for a reason; untrained dogs can growl, shake, scratch, have skin & fur issues, etc. etc. Service Dogs are groomed daily, their teeth are brushed, they've been given special meds to keep fleas & ticks away and they know better than to scratch or lick in public. Most pets do not!

Roz, I wonder if I sailed with you and the babes!? I would have been one of the crew looking for a "fix" as I missed my girl so much when I worked on ships.

Speaking of a fix, in Orlando they have dogs that work for the port. When I was there a few years ago they were Chip & Dale! Gorgeous black Labs that I got to know. They would sniff whatever we brought onboard but once you became friends with their handlers and them it was like being welcomed home every time we were in port. I loved those dogs!!! You may see them walking the ship while in port but you probably won't get to love on them. But once you know them, just like the REAL Chip & Dale, their is no stopping them from licking you! LOL :rolleyes:

Roz, I wonder if I sailed with you and the babes!? I would have been one of the crew looking for a "fix" as I missed my girl so much when I worked on ships.

Speaking of a fix, in Orlando they have dogs that work for the port. When I was there a few years ago they were Chip & Dale! Gorgeous black Labs that I got to know. They would sniff whatever we brought onboard but once you became friends with their handlers and them it was like being welcomed home every time we were in port. I loved those dogs!!! You may see them walking the ship while in port but you probably won't get to love on them. But once you know them, just like the REAL Chip & Dale, their is no stopping them from licking you! LOL :rolleyes:

My retired Service Dog, Brenda, had completed 15 cruises, on different lines, by the end of 2010 [i started cruising with her in 2005, onboard the Diamond Princess.] She was truly a seasoned cruise Sea Hag! She also has been all over Europe, South America, the Caribbean and the U.S. If she could only talk. Now, she stays at home, while Horton and I go to work. She's 14 years old and loves to nap the day away!

We've met so many wonderful people. Brenda is an English Black Lab [short, stocky] and, so cute. Whereas her Successor, Horton, is a tall, thin cross between an American Black Lab and a Golden Retriever. They make the most interesting dogs. Some of them truly come out as a hybrid with a huge head and body. Horton has a huge head and a thin body. He's so handsome! I've seen some of them that look like Mastif's.

Horton has just completed his 3rd cruise [all on Princess.] He'll be back onboard the Crown in April and then again in September.

If you should see us on a cruise, please come over and say hello.

My grandson's diabetic service dog will be cruising with us on the Magic in 2/2014. We have 2 inside cabins booked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

You should visit the "Special Interest Cruising" thread here on Cruise Critic and look for the thread titled "Cruising With a Service Dog, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know!"

You'll get lots of suggestions and friendly tips on cruising with your Service Dog.....the "In's & Out's" and the "Do's & Don'ts."

Edited by wizard-of-roz