Shuttle EWR to Manhattan

Sulo

We are sailing on the Splendor in January and looking at shuttles to take us from Newark airport into Manhattan. I'm finding two so far, Supershuttle at $20.00 each and GO Air Link NYC at $17.00 each.

Of course I'm favouring GO Air Link, being the cheaper, but does anyone have any info on either one? Are they both much the same (other than price?).

When we return to Manhattan after the cruise, we're booked into the Holiday Inn Express on 29th St. On reading the posts re cabs etc. across the road from the terminal, will it be a problem getting a cab for a relatively short ride?

Thanks in advance for any info.

We are sailing on the Splendor in January and looking at shuttles to take us from Newark airport into Manhattan. I'm finding two so far, Supershuttle at $20.00 each and GO Air Link NYC at $17.00 each.

Of course I'm favouring GO Air Link, being the cheaper, but does anyone have any info on either one? Are they both much the same (other than price?).

When we return to Manhattan after the cruise, we're booked into the Holiday Inn Express on 29th St. On reading the posts re cabs etc. across the road from the terminal, will it be a problem getting a cab for a relatively short ride?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I wouldn't take either one of them, particularly Super Shuttle. While Super Shuttle is very good in CA, Florida and most other places, they literally SUCK in the NYC area. The worst of the worst drivers are the ones employed by Super Shuttle back East. AND they are paid commission, so around and around the airport you go trying to SQUASH as many people into the van as possible. The vans are generally FILTHY and the drivers don't much care.

I had a Super Shuttle driver REFUSE to take me to my final destination even though the trip was prepaid. He LEFT me on a main street in the South Bronx because he was "scared". He didn't admit he was scared but he absolutely refused to drive any further into the South Bronx than just off the interstate to the first main intersection. My office is in the South Bronx. You think I didn't have a meltdown!!! Here I was standing on a street corner with suitcase, computer and all my business stuff at night in a neighborhood that is NOT very good. And the Super Shuttle driver just drove off after we argued and argued and I called the cops.

Read the reviews on Yelp or other places if you want more verification of their awful service.

From EWR, I would take the airport express bus. Luggage goes underneath, they leave every 15-20 minutes. You go to Port Authority bus station, so would have to grab a taxi from there to the cruise port-$10-15. Cheaper than either Super Shuttle or Go Air Link, even when you add the taxi on, particularly if you buy a RT ticket for your return flight.

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

There will be LOTS of taxis available after your cruise.

Thanks for the info Greatam.

We're actually staying overnight in Manhattan before getting on the cruise so I guess if we take your recommendation we'd be best to go to Grand Central Station and take a cab from there to the hotel on 25th Street. I would think cabs are easier to get at Grand Central?

Another option would be to go to New York Penn Station and take NJ transit train to the airport. Trains run about every 20 minutes and cost $12.50 one way for adult, $8.75 for senior(over 62). Will probably take about 1/2 hour. Entrance to Penn Station is on 33rd St. and 7th Ave. If the weather is nice and you don't have lots of luggage, you could probably walk there from your hotel.

Thanks jersey2 for your response. However, after our cruise we'll be heading home on the train from Penn Station so won't have to worry about getting back to Newark airport.

When we arrive at EWR I think we'll take the Newark Airport Express to the Port Authority and then take a cab down to 29th St. & 8th Ave. Looks to be the easiest and most reasonable other than shelling out for a car...

Thanks again for the info.

.... as an addition to my previous post, I like the quick journey time by train to Penn Station, but don't fancy doing stairs etc. We'll both have fairly large suitcases along with carry-on's so it might be a little difficult.

From EWR, I would take the airport express bus. Luggage goes underneath, they leave every 15-20 minutes. You go to Port Authority bus station, so would have to grab a taxi from there to the cruise port-$10-15. Cheaper than either Super Shuttle or Go Air Link, even when you add the taxi on, particularly if you buy a RT ticket for your return flight.

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

There will be LOTS of taxis available after your cruise.

Currently this airport bus is $16 per person. Which with the cab is about the same price, a little more than either of the shuttles.

I always take the M42 bus $2.50 coin only, or get a Metro Card in Port Authority. You do have to pack light, which I always do. You then have a few blocks of walk to the cruise ships.

Edited by Budget Queen

Currently this airport bus is $16 per person. Which with the cab is about the same price, a little more than either of the shuttles.

There is a 50% senior discount for 60 and above. It is not openly displayed on the website but buried in the order page, and is also listed on the sign board at the terminal. Ask for it if applicable- they won't offer it

If you take the train you may have to add on the $5 Airtrain fee per person.

Tagging along here.

I am flying out of Newark on December 1st (Sunday). We're coming in on the NCL Breakaway and our flight leaves Newark at 3:27pm

We are party of 3 and will have 3 carryons (wheeled) with 1 large suitcase. Given that is the taxi the simplest/cheapest option?

Taxi will run you about $90-100 depending on route taken (tolls) and any waiting time. There is a $15.00 surcharge for trips to EWR from Manhattan. SO you are paying meter + tolls + $15.00 surcharge. Meter will be at least $60 + $15 surcharge plus tolls plus any waiting time.

Taxi from port to the Port Authority bus station will run about $10-15 PLUS 3 x 16 (unless some of you are seniors and qualify for the senior discount). DARN sight cheaper to take the bus. This is a BIG bus (like a Greyhound) with luggage storage underneath. NOT as easy as getting in a car/taxi at the port and getting out at the airport, but definitely cheaper.

I would call a car service if you don't want the airport bus. Dial 7 is who we use all the time although we do have a corporate Carmel account (I personally feel their service has gone downhill but they are truly HUGE as far as car services go). Might not be much cheaper than a taxi but it will DEFINITELY be a nicer car and you won't have to worry about any waiting time. FIXED price + tolls + tip.

Maybe I should call and try to get them to switch my flight to LaGuardia for free?

My inbound flight is coming into LaGuardia and we'll be traveling to the Sheraton Times square to stay the night. I was going to just take a taxi from LaGuardia to the Sheraton as cheapest route right? Or should I book car service for that one too?

Maybe I should call and try to get them to switch my flight to LaGuardia for free?

My inbound flight is coming into LaGuardia and we'll be traveling to the Sheraton Times square to stay the night. I was going to just take a taxi from LaGuardia to the Sheraton as cheapest route right? Or should I book car service for that one too?

From LGA either a car service or taxi will do, but car service has the advantage of a predetermined fixed fare, while with a taxi you're at the mercy of traffic conditions and roue driven...getting stuck in traffic or taking a roundabout route can run up the fare. Because LGA is closer to the cruise terminal (and is in NY City, as opposed to EWR which is in a different state, NJ) both taxi and car service fares are cheaper to and from LGA...and there are high tolls to get to or from EWR too.

Edited by njhorseman