Star Flyer Embarkation St. Maartens next April & I have questions about St. Maartens

Mindfultraveler

As of the moment I have a flight plan that is a 'red eye' from Denver to Miami, 11:55PM--5:45AM and MIA 11:20AM to St. Maartens 2:10PM. I leave Denver April 8th 2014.

Therefore the question. This flt schedule was set up by Star Clipper people. Should I book a hotel a day or two early and rest up? What kind of miles involved from airport--hotel--embarkation point? Yes. I know that question has mileage variables. How is the smart way to go about this. I can do the 'red-eye' and just sleep it off the first night out. Or...other options. The only risk I see is possibly missing the boat if there is a last minute flight cancellation. Since this voyage is a Transatlantic to Lisbon the next stop is the Azores and so missing the embarkation is a show stopper.

I am willing to entertain the option of arriving a day early and in that case I will be eating the airport xfrs and hotel cost. Has anyone on this forum confronted this option?

If so, what would you advise? Is St. Maartens worth the time and expense to explore?

Last question: Is there a liquor store near or at the embarkation point?

I would really appreciate any advice as I am having second thoughts about the present flt plan.

I haven't sailed on a Star Clipper ship out of St. Maarten, but I have sailed on an Island Windjammers tall ship from there just last May. I looked up your trip on the SC website, and it says Philipsburg, so I feel reasonably safe saying that you'll be sailing from the same port area where we sailed from.

That said:

1. the airport and the port area are only about 30-minute drive

2. Port area has liquor stores, at least one bar and some touristy spots, but no restaurants.

3. St. Maarten is well worth visiting. There are two halves to the island: the Dutch St. Maarten and the French St. Martin. Lots and lots to do and see in either, both. Very difference halves of the island because of the cultural differences.

4. We stayed on the beach in St. Philipsburg at the Royal Pasanggrahan Hotel and loved it! One side opens to the beach, with its wide boardwalk and funky bars and cafes and street entertainers, and the other opens to the street with all its shops and restaurants. Hotel is gorgeous and tropical and once was the favorite spot for Dutch royalty. Older portion of the hotel is charming, with smaller rooms, more motel-like, but some open right to the beach. Newer portion is all suites, and these are massive and so well done. Bathrooms to die for. Get ocean view! This hotel is about 20 minutes from the airport and another 10 to the port boarding area. Excellent restaurant at the Royal P, and also excellent: The Green House restaurant (out onto the boardwalk and to the left about a quarter mile).

As to your dilemma about the flights, we do a lot of tall-ship cruising and we always work it to get there at least a night ahead. Gives us a chance to get over the long, long flights and airport sessions and a little opportunity to see something of the area....and ensures we don't "miss the boat." I believe that if Star Clippers books your flights and there is any problem re those flights, that it's up to SC to get you to the ship, but you should call them and ask them! Personally, that's a long way to go, and a great trip on the seas ahead of you, plus all you have spent: you should make sure that you can catch the ship without undue frustration.

Have fun!

Looking at my paperwork the airport code for St. Maartens is SXM which is highlighted on Google Earth as Princess Juliana Intl. Airport. The cruise terminal looks to be situated in Great Bay near or at Phillipsburg.

I have not visited this side of the island before. The last time I visited on the other side was back in the 60s during a Navy liberty call. So I remember very little.

Hotel wise, I am not a hotel centric traveler other than I like to use a hotel located near interesting areas. I tend to use moderate or budget hotels. Having a cursory look at Travel Advisor there is a multitude of options including renting a car to get around. More likely for me will be a rest up at the hotel and a strole to some eatery. I am 71 yr old man. My wife elected not to come as she has morbid fears of high seas in a smaller ship. A little bit of sight seeing will be all I care for. So, I do not see myself doing much while I am on the island other than get some sleep and a strole.

That is the airport I'm referring to in my earlier post....and it's about 30 minutes drive to the dock area. Phillipsburg is the first big town you'll come to when leaving the airport, and it's where the port is, yes.

The Royal Pasanggrahan could very well be the hotel you are seeking, and if you don't go for a large suite, but rather one of the rooms in the original section of the hotel, it should be a good rate. See if there is a room available that opens out to the boardwalk/beach area. Those rooms have lots of flora and fauna, and you can sit there, relax and just enjoy. The hotel also has a great patio area, with trees and grass-tops over tables, where you also can sit and watch the world stroll by. The hotel's restaurant is a little pricey for dinner, but the Green House I mentioned has a really varied menu with good prices, and the restaurant is open-air: covered, but no solid walls. Lots of little shops on the way to/from the restaurant.

Your wife is really missing out by not going on the Star Clipper. It's not a "small" ship by any means, altho it certainly doesnt compare in size to the floating condos! Very comfortable ships to sail on, and really nice cabins and common areas. You are going to have great time. You'll probably meet lots of people from Europe, too, because the SC ships draw a lot from Europe, Canada and Australia...and it's so much fun to meet all of them.

Last spring I sailed on the Royal Clipper from Barbados to Lisbon and on to Barcelona with several port visits en-route. I am of the opinion that doing a Transatlantic crossing is not for everybody. Especially on a true sailing vessel for as you know the ship certainly moves about a bit and in any heavy seas the experience will not suit everyone. However, for me the voyage was deeply satisfying. Almost everybody on board understood the nature of the crossing and the few who did not certainly found out in short order.

The Transatlantic crossing east bound in the spring suits my temperament as I am not fond of large cruise ships and smooth rides. Better yet, I most enjoyed sailing on a ship with less than half load of passengers. There were plenty of places on the ship to find quiet spots for reading and watching the seas. I thoroughly enjoyed watching crew members do maintenance on the ship while underway. I watched up close as emergency fire drills were practiced in a serious way. I think Star Clippers runs a quality operation.

My age is beginning to close in on me. There are many aspects of travel that are not enjoyable to me anymore. Years ago I traveled the states and Canada on a motorcycle. For 18 years I was employed by an airline and I traveled as much as possible on flight passes. For about six years I drove a tour bus mostly in the western states. Much of the travel I once did I no longer enjoy. So, I feel very lucky to find this kind of adventure deeply satisfying and I will keep at it till I can not longer do it. I guess that if I had my life to do over I would squander it all doing sailboat races in the open ocean. As a lad I remember reading the Ancient Mariner and other such classics. Definitely I reflect on those old sources when a sea storm is splashing salt in my face.

Once I get the hotel booked I will follow up with you. I am toying with the idea of catching a sea freighter home from Amsterdam after the ship arrives in Lisbon. Last spring there was not a good connection, but maybe there might be this coming spring. The return flights home last spring was a lousy experience and I will do almost whatever to avoid repeating it.

I would have to agree that Star Clippers runs a quality operation. And I do hope you can follow the call of the seas for a good long time. There is nothing quite like a sailing ship, sails unfurled, the fresh air and the cool breezes on your face.

You might want to give a windjammer sailing ship a try: fewer passengers, very casual, but quality accomodations and excellent food, a lot of fun. Doesn't matter whether you are traveling single or as a couple, the passengers and crew have a great time together! Check out IslandWindjammers.com which has the 12 passenger Diamant (out of Grenada) and the 24 passenger Sagitta (out of St. Maarten). One one of our Diamant trips, our fellow passengers included an 83-year-old man who was the life of the party. We had a tough time keeping up with him, and he had such great stories to tell.

His attitude was as Jimmy Buffett sings: I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

Sail on, sailor!!!

As of the moment I have a flight plan that is a 'red eye' from Denver to Miami, 11:55PM--5:45AM and MIA 11:20AM to St. Maartens 2:10PM. I leave Denver April 8th 2014.

Therefore the question. This flt schedule was set up by Star Clipper people. Should I book a hotel a day or two early and rest up? What kind of miles involved from airport--hotel--embarkation point? Yes. I know that question has mileage variables. How is the smart way to go about this. I can do the 'red-eye' and just sleep it off the first night out. Or...other options. The only risk I see is possibly missing the boat if there is a last minute flight cancellation. Since this voyage is a Transatlantic to Lisbon the next stop is the Azores and so missing the embarkation is a show stopper.

I am willing to entertain the option of arriving a day early and in that case I will be eating the airport xfrs and hotel cost. Has anyone on this forum confronted this option?

If so, what would you advise? Is St. Maartens worth the time and expense to explore?

Last question: Is there a liquor store near or at the embarkation point?

I would really appreciate any advice as I am having second thoughts about the present flt plan.

Ahoy!

We sailed the Star Clipper last January on a B2B that sailed from St. Maartens.

With that said, I would never attempt to sail into a cruise ship port the day of the sailing with cancellations, weather, lost luggage, etc. possible (we live in AZ and often need to embark in ports like Fort Lauderdale, Seattle, etc.)

I could only recommend you come in at the very least a day ahead of time. Two days would be better if you'd like to do some exploring. But I'm sure your employment responsibilities & business plans all affect your plans.

We stayed "downtown" close to the embarkation port (5 minute or so cab ride)& ate two wonderful dinners at the local eateries and did an all day circle the island snorkel tour (your so-called sail, snorkel and suds tour) the day prior to our embarkation.

I'll include a link with some pix for the pre-embarkation time spent in St. Maartens. Also, at the bottom of my signature is a link (Picasa) to the adventures we had on the Star Clipper (we raced the Royal Clipper to Dominica one day).

https://picasaweb.google.com/prescottbob412/117TO1192013STMARTINPREEMBARKATION#

Regardless of whatever you decide, have yourself a wonderful sail!

One of these days I'd like to do a long TA crossing aboard the Star Clipper. It's on the so-called bucket list.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

At the moment I am awaiting word back from my travel agent at TravLtips.com. I asked her to get me to Philipsburg a day earlier. Once I have that date nailed down I will book a room at one of the hotels suggested by SailorJM, The Royal Pasanggrahan or The Sea View Hotel, but from what I can see The Royal Pasanggrahan would be nice. Strange to me is that neither of these little hotels came up via search tools. Of coarse I am not very knowledgeable about how to search. I do plan to call the front desk to book a room. Maybe better rates.

In Lisbon I will have one overnight as well. For whatever reason last spring at the end of my voyage at Barcelona I just wanted to go home in the worst way. I had my fill of port visits. I may entertain some land tours next year with Grand Circle Tours. I would like to see more of Spain and the area around Lisbon.

Lately I have begun an exercise routine to get me in better physical shape. Too much time sitting around is not good. I would like to be able to easily walk at least ten miles a day. That is my next goal. About three miles does for me right now. I need to do better than three miles!

Thanks for your advice about arriving early. I now wonder why I did not pick up on the risk involved with arriving on the day of embarkation. But after sleeping on the issue I felt I had to change the arrival date. Last spring my flight arrived about four hours before embarkation at Barbados and I was fine with that, but now I realize I was taking a risk that in hindsight there was no need of doing.

I look forward to the Transatlantic crossing. That is my kind of voyage.

Mindfultraveler

You have admirable goals! And I know you'll have a great time!!

I don't know the Sea View Hotel, just the Pasanggrahan, which is listed as Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147347-d147508-Reviews-Pasanggrahan_Royal_Guesthouse-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

I sailed Transatlantic Eastbound on Star Clippers two years ago. Booking my own flights. London Heathrow - Amsterdam Schippol - St Marteen Pnincess Juliana. Legal difference with booking your own flights is YOU are responsible with timely turn up quayside whereas if cruiseline book flights THEY are responsible for your turning up and boarding. A guy from USA arrived at St Marteen but had lost cases, cruiseline had booked his multiflights. Captain held ship up for three hours while we waited for cases to be found, guy did shopping for clothes then eventually cases turned up. If you want to change flight arrangements, an option is get cruiseline to do it or book your own arrangements. There is not as much pressure for ship to leave port on this itinerary as time can be recovered later. When you say about Azores, we ran late due to lack of wind and eventually cut the corner to MISS Azores then went straight to Lisbon! I suspected we may not be going to the Azores early on because (a) they were not booking Azores excursions and (b) when they mentioned the Azores later in the week an exact day was never definitively identified eventually the port was dropped.

I finally realized that my discussions with the lady at Travltips.com were not helpful and was confusing. The lady made the same points that you did. So, I asked her to have the Star Clipper Company book the flight a day earlier so that the clipper company was still doing the booking. I am not that knowledgeable about booking flights in the best way and so it is probably best that the clipper company does the booking.

Still, I thought there was some risk in having a flight arrive the same day of departure. Coming a day early certainly reduces the risk of a last minute flight cancellation. For me that is a load off of my mind.

So, thanks for your observations. I am learning more everyday.

Mindful Traveler