Silver Wind Athens - Barcelona 24th October review

eastwoodboy

Just a few random jottings following the above cruise which we booked at the last minute to escape the gloom of the U.K. at this time of year. This was our third cruise on Wind in the last couple of years but we usually use Spirit so I thought some comment on the difference between them may be of interest.

We arrived direct from the airport at about 2.00 to an excellent reception and enjoyed lunch on deck and booked dining preferences before unpacking. Then afternoon tea followed by lifeboat drill changing and dinner made for the usual busy day.

We had to have a forward position due to lack of availability when we booked which would not be our usual choice. The problem with this was noise from anchor and bow thruster early in the morning as we are not early risers. Still, that was our choice and shows the advantage of booking earlier. It was no great problem but could have done without.

After some 30 odd cruises we both felt that overall this was one of the best we had done and talking to other passengers we found we were not alone. So what was so special. This is difficult to explain as sometimes these things just happen as circumstances fall into place. One of the major factors was the crew who were exceptional in every department and never before have so many taken the trouble to find out our names and use them which is a nice touch. We thought the food in MDR was an improvement on our last Spirit trip a couple of months earlier although Terrazza was as usual excellent. Of all the wines offered we only had a problem with one and that was soon replaced with one we had enjoyed a few nights earlier. Another factor is fellow passengers who were the usual international mix and although there was a party of 20 they were no problem and everyone got on. There were 2 children onboard but again no problem. The itinery a little different for these parts and although we have done many Med trips there were 3 maiden ports for us.

So much for the general what about specifics. All staff were good and some exceptional. Colin Brown as Cruise Director was the best we have had and was a master at working the room which he did on a regular basis. Our last trip on Spirit the CD was unknown to us apart from hearing his morning announcements. Any difference between crew on Spirit and Wind? No not really although there are always a couple of characters and you see more of them on Wind rather than Spirit due to the size of the ships and number of people. On Wind I sometimes feel guilty as they can see how much I am eating and drinking as they often pop up at all venues!

My main grouse with both ships and indeed SS in general is over the menus. In the evenings in MDR there are only 3 deserts available all small and cold. At lunch time in Terrazza I always go for the hot dessert and very good they are. Why oh why are they not available in the MDR in the evening. I could have had the pear crumble every night very happily.

One problem with the cruise under review was the cancellation of the deck BBQ for the fear of bad weather so it was converted to a galley BBQ dinner. I have to declare that never go to a BBQ out of choice anywhere but I found the food on offer to be a disgrace and after 3 trips round the galley I still had an empty plate. To make matters even worse when we left the dining room we found out that Terrazza had been opened when of course it is always closed for the BBQ. Had we been aware that would have been an excellent option but we were not so we missed out. My mood was not improved when going up on deck and finding that the rain had not arrived and even in shirt sleeve order I found the temperature to be acceptable.

Whilst on my hobby horse and at the risk of stirring up further comments on the dress code I detest the informal option to do without a tie. My view is that if wearing a jacket one also wears a tie if no tie then no jacket. I was one of the very very few that opted to hear a tie and one gentlemen wore a shirt and tie with no jacket although he looked smarter than all thoses with no ties to my mind. I wonder what happened when he reached his dining venue.

So do we prefer Spirit or Wind. Well both are wonderful and I edge slightly to Wind whereas my wife leans towards Spirit. We went on Shadow 6 years ago on our first SS cruise and the only reason we have not returned is down to the itineries so being in the middle we may agree that that gives us the best of both worlds and agree that that is better. I will let you know after our trip on Whisper next year.