Mexican Riviera cruise with kids

brovan1

We are a little late in planning a Christmas vacation but we just booked the Mexican Rivera cruise on Carnival leaving 12/29 stopping 2 days at Cabo San Lucas and 1 day at Puerto Vallarta. My husband and I did an itinerary similar to this a few years ago (and have done 5 other cruises over the years), but this will be the first time our kids have done a cruise. Looking for appropriate ideas to keep them busy at each port. In Cabo, is there a hotel on the beach we can hang out at and just relax for one of the days? I know that some will allow you to use their facilities if you eat at a restaurant, etc...Any suggestions for good excursions at either of these ports that are family and kid friendly? Our kids are 10 & 6 and I notice that many of the excursions have an age limit and our youngest doesn't quite meet some of those. Last time in Cabo we just took a cruise to the arches/Lovers Beach although we didn't get out of the boat, it was just a tour and then we went to the beach. In Puerto Vallarta we did a dune buggy tour-been there done that-it was more for my husband! We are definitely beach/water people, so our days will be focused around that. Having said that, my kids can only take so much beach time so it's nice if I have something that kind of goes along with that to keep their interest! And as much as I would love to book excursions every day-for our whole family we are looking at 300-400 for each excursion through the ship! Thanks for the info!

+1 for the Pirate ship. Plenty of organized activities to keep busy or just kick back and soak up the sun. The kids will not get bored.

** Carnival pre - reserves the entire pirate ship and you can not book this excursion independently if you are in Vallarta as a cruise ship passenger.

Edited by MSN-Travelers

In Cabo, a family friendly restaurant to hang on Medano Beach is the Medano Beach Club. It's also where the locals hang and on Sunday's, there are several Mexican families there with their children. It's nice and mello without all the stuff that goes on at those party places.

They will set you up with loungers so that the kids can frolic in the water and be within you eyesight. The water will still be warm, enjoy.

We've travelled to Cabo twice a year for the last 5 years (we discovered Cabo on an NCL cruise). Each year, we travel once by ourselves, and again with our kids and grandkids. Two weeks ago, we did a turtle release for the first time. Of all of the excursions that we have done over the years, our teenaged grandkids all agree that it was the best!

Some of the resorts have a program where they release the turtles, but we've heard that the crowds may be such that you cannot even hardly see the turtles.

There is a sanctuary towards Todos Santos that releases turtles nearly daily (in the evenings) during the season. Search for excursions in Cabo, (I think that Cabo Adventures offers a tour).... although we were a party of nine and it would have cost us nearly $600us. We contacted our favorite transport company, Cielito Lindo, and it cost us less than $200. Transportation, and beverages included. Other private transport companies may be able to offer the same.

We were allowed to gently dig up the babies, and then release them into the ocean. The beach there is isolated. No one but us, the volunteers, and the turtles. Imagine, a baby turtle (smaller than a half dollar), waiving it's tiny legs, doing it's best to get to the ocean.

I am not a "tree hugger" by any means, but it was a lifetime experience for me.

** Carnival pre - reserves the entire pirate ship and you can not book this excursion independently if you are in Vallarta as a cruise ship passenger.

Is this a fact? I called pirate ship vallarta just for info, and they didn't mention that at all!!!:confused:

We've travelled to Cabo twice a year for the last 5 years (we discovered Cabo on an NCL cruise). Each year, we travel once by ourselves, and again with our kids and grandkids. Two weeks ago, we did a turtle release for the first time. Of all of the excursions that we have done over the years, our teenaged grandkids all agree that it was the best!

Some of the resorts have a program where they release the turtles, but we've heard that the crowds may be such that you cannot even hardly see the turtles.

There is a sanctuary towards Todos Santos that releases turtles nearly daily (in the evenings) during the season. Search for excursions in Cabo, (I think that Cabo Adventures offers a tour).... although we were a party of nine and it would have cost us nearly $600us. We contacted our favorite transport company, Cielito Lindo, and it cost us less than $200. Transportation, and beverages included. Other private transport companies may be able to offer the same.

We were allowed to gently dig up the babies, and then release them into the ocean. The beach there is isolated. No one but us, the volunteers, and the turtles. Imagine, a baby turtle (smaller than a half dollar), waiving it's tiny legs, doing it's best to get to the ocean.

I am not a "tree hugger" by any means, but it was a lifetime experience for me.

We took a taxi in Cozumel to the backside of the island and saw some digging activity on the beach. The driver stopped and we were treated to the experience of releasing and helping baby turtles to the water.

Those digging were counting the turtles, eggshells, and the unhatched eggs, and were keeping records of all the nests.

It was a first for us and I agree it was a very moving experience for us.

We took a taxi in Cozumel to the backside of the island and saw some digging activity on the beach. The driver stopped and we were treated to the experience of releasing and helping baby turtles to the water.

Those digging were counting the turtles, eggshells, and the unhatched eggs, and were keeping records of all the nests.

It was a first for us and I agree it was a very moving experience for us.

Good advice but Cozumel is Eastern Mexico, not on the Mexican Riviera itins.

Is this a fact? I called pirate ship vallarta just for info, and they didn't mention that at all!!!:confused:

Yes, it is a fact, and we've heard rumors of people showing up and finding they have been cancelled once the cruise lines compare the list with the vendor. You get your money back, but you have disappointed family members.