Tourist Refund Scheme

The rule says....."Claims at seaports should be made no more than 4 hours and no less than 1 hour prior to the scheduled departure time of the vessel."

We will be checking in more than 4 hours prior to departure. Our ship sails at 7pm and we will be there around midday. How does this 4 hour work?

I've not been on a cruise before so I've no idea where is the desk to claim the TRS is located. Also if they are strict on the 4 hours does that mean we will have to come out from the ship, claim it, then go back in?

The TRS desk is usually situated just past where you go through customs and you can have your claim processed whenever you check in .....the "four hour rule" does not apply

Thanks Benjo. Do you know if Voyager is strict with their check in times? I'm on deck 7 so allocated check in is 2.30pm but some people who have cruised with Royal Carribean before said we could try getting there earlier if we wanted to.

Just to confuse things a little more:

When we left Sydney for our Radiance Over the Top via Bali cruise to Perth (Fremantle) there was NO desk at Sydney to claim our reimbursement.

We had to wait until Darwin, the last Australian port prior to Bali to make the claim. As all passengers had to hand in their passports after leaving Airlie Beach and didn't receive them back until AFTER Bali, if you couldn't supply a copy of your passport you were unable to make a claim.

It's always a good idea to make copies of your passport. I leave one at home and one in my safe on-board. As I had the copy, I received the refund but many others missed out.:(

Gae

When we left Sydney for our Radiance Over the Top via Bali cruise to Perth (Fremantle) there was NO desk at Sydney to claim our reimbursement.

We had to wait until Darwin, the last Australian port prior to Bali to make the claim. As all passengers had to hand in their passports after leaving Airlie Beach and didn't receive them back until AFTER Bali, if you couldn't supply a copy of your passport you were unable to make a claim.

It's always a good idea to make copies of your passport. I leave one at home and one in my safe on-board. As I had the copy, I received the refund but many others missed out.:(

Gae

I think it's because the rule says you can only claim at the last Australian destination before going onto international waters. That's why passengers could only claim at Perth on your sailing.

Thanks Benjo. Do you know if Voyager is strict with their check in times? I'm on deck 7 so allocated check in is 2.30pm but some people who have cruised with Royal Carribean before said we could try getting there earlier if we wanted to.

We have a staggered check in only because there is limited space inside the terminal and is for safety and comfort of the guests. If you happen to be wanting to check in when there are little or no queues downstairs they will at they will allow you to do so IF POSSIBLE ;)

Gae

On our Australia NZ cruise the last port in Australia was Hobart. We had to queue onboard with Passports, sales dockets and items.

We have a staggered check in only because there is limited space inside the terminal and is for safety and comfort of the guests. If you happen to be wanting to check in when there are little or no queues downstairs they will at they will allow you to do so IF POSSIBLE ;)

Thanks Benjo :)

Hi we are yet to cruise but will be April 2014. Could you please explain what "tourist refund scheme" is. We obviously have a lot to learn about cruising. Thank you.

Kim

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You can find all the information about TRS on this link http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4646.asp