Cinque Terra (from La Spezia)

flen

Based on my pre-cruise experience looking for information on doing Cinque Terra from La Spezia, I would suggest a separate thread that does not debate Cinque Terra versus Florence, but simply helps planning a visit to Cinque Terra from La Spezia. The bottom line, despite a few challenges, this is an easy trip to do DIY and extremely rewarding. Cinque Terra is gorgeous!! We got off our boat, took a shuttle to the edge of the port area, and then walked about 1 mile to the train station. Despite having checked train schedules right before we left and double checked at the information booth at the port (all of which showed trains running about every 20 minutes), schedules had changed again and we missed a train by 5 minutes and had a 1.5 hour wait. You do not buy your ticket at the regular train ticket window but instead go to an office on track 1 (to the right). We went all the way to Montossoro to start (1/2 hour ride), then walked south to Vernazza along the coast route. This walk on paper seemed short (1 mile), quick and easy, but it had a lot of up and down hilly sections and took almost 2 hours (so make sure you have water and suitable footwear). It was well worth the effort for the magnificent vistas. We had lunch in charming and beautiful Vernazza. Then took train to Manarosa, an even smaller town, for which one only needs a short time, but the next train was not for 1.5 hours. We would love to have walked on to Rio Magiorre, but Lover's Walk is still closed, so we skipped Rio Magiorre to make sure we got back to the boat on time.

Man, you did the hardest section of the coastal trail in the hardest direction! All those stairs to start!!! But, to do it in under 2 hours, without preparation, is pretty darn good! Think about it - the section is just under 2 miles, so you basically were hiking 1 mile/hour. Shows how deceptive that trail is. At least you were treated to some pretty awesome views along that goat trail!!!!!

Edited by slidergirl

We did exactly as Flen, in the same direction only it was raining! :-(

We are in very good shape and hike often. But let me tell you...that hike up those stairs seems to never end. It was misting when we started and raining coming into Vernazza. The stones are very slippery and my husband fell but thankfully didn't break anything. He was wearing his sneakers but it was muddy. You need good shoes, like running shoes or non skid type. I had Sketchers Go Walk and they were very comfortable.

We saw some people on the trail that really should not have been there. We did it in 1.5 hours but due to the rain it was not enjoyable and the views were not clear. Also do not put your weight on the hand rails, many were not very stable.

I hope to go back once again and hike it in sunshine. Btw, we were sweating hiking up those stairs even in the rain, lol Couldn't imagine doing it in summer heat!

Also wanted to add.

We sailed on Oceania and the ship docked, it did not tender.

We we in port from 8-6 (I think)

We had time to see Monterosso, hike to Vernazza, (the next train wasn't for 1.5 hrs so we ate lunch and walked around Vernazza, then onto Manarola.

The villages are very small, we just walked up the main street and looked in a few shops. You need to plan around the train schedule as there are some big time lapses if you miss a train.

We did exactly as Flen, in the same direction only it was raining! :-(

We are in very good shape and hike often. But let me tell you...that hike up those stairs seems to never end. It was misting when we started and raining coming into Vernazza. The stones are very slippery and my husband fell but thankfully didn't break anything. He was wearing his sneakers but it was muddy. You need good shoes, like running shoes or non skid type. I had Sketchers Go Walk and they were very comfortable.

We saw some people on the trail that really should not have been there. We did it in 1.5 hours but due to the rain it was not enjoyable and the views were not clear. Also do not put your weight on the hand rails, many were not very stable.

I hope to go back once again and hike it in sunshine. Btw, we were sweating hiking up those stairs even in the rain, lol Couldn't imagine doing it in summer heat!

Ugh!!! I couldn't imagine that trail in the rain!! We lucked out - the day we hiked, it was clear and gorgeous. We were there the first week of May, so it was just warm, but we still worked up a sweat. Absolutely go back and do the hike in the sunshine! As for the stairs, it was definitely good to have them on the downside of the trip, but my calves and quads still were a little sore the next day...