Just back from the Carnival Valor November 3/10 2013

BenjiRodney

Just returned from a great cruise on the Carnival Valor from San Juan to St. Thomas Barbados St. Lucia St. Kitts and St. Maarten. This was our third time doing this itinerary, but first on the Valor.

This is my 11th cruise and 10th cruise on Carnival, so you can guess which cruise line I prefer. This review will be a mix of pictures, and what we did along the way. We always seem to find so ethnic new each time that we missed or didn't see the previous trip.

Only experienced one issue with Carnival and that was on the last day, will go into more details about that later.

Still uploading and sorting through 1100 plus pictures

amazysu3.jpg

Here is the reason to always travel a day in advance.

We took off on time Sat 11/2 at 530 am from Charleston WV with a connection in Charlotte for the flight to San Juan. Pre cruise hotel booked was the Plaza De Armas. What should have been a 45 minute flight turned into a 5 hour flight/diversion due to fog in Charlotte, unable to land we diverted back to Tri-Cities in Tennessee to refuel and wait out the fog. Due to the wait, we missed the 950 am flight to San Juan but were rebooked on the 1150 am flight. We finally took off fromTennessee and made it to Charlotte a little after 1030 am, just enough time to find a restroom, a bite to eat and make it to the next gate.

We made the flight, our luggage, as well as half the other people on the flight. Great what might a cruise without clothes be like? Lucky for us, the bags were still in Charlotte and after filling out a claim form, we were told they would be put on the 615 pm flight and delivered to the hotel. We felt better around 9 pm when we could see on US Airways site that indeed the bags were on the flight and on their was to San Juan. Some people were leaving that night on RCCL and Celebrity, their bags would be forwarded to the first port of call.

We informed the front desk that luggage would be delivered, that said it happens everyday and it usually comes around 130 to 300 in the morning and they would not wake us up, but would keep,it downstairs and we could get it anytime we wanted. I was relieved when I went down at 630 and we had luggage.

Since this was going to be my Platinum Cruise I wanted to get there and start the cruise ASAP. We left the hotel around 1120 am, made out way to the port, dropped off the bags, which they said would be taken straight on board, and up to level two for check in. It was 1153 when we checked in, we were told boarding would be around 1215. Around 1205 they came and got us from the lounge and led us to the security screeners, yeah, I've never been one of the first 20 or so on board. We dropped off of sodas (I am addicted to Diet Pepsi) in the room which was still being cleaned and headed to lido to get lunch. This would be the only time that there would be no lines the whole week.

Around 1 we decided to go put the carry on bags in the room, and the luggage was already waiting for us, quickly unpacked, met Johnny our Cabin Steward who took excellent care of us all week, and then got back off the ship to explore a little more.

y5y9enup.jpg

e4enyre9.jpg

yta4e8eg.jpg

We enjoyed walking around this boardwalk/park type area in front of the pier area, they were developing some of it last year so it's nice to see it finished. You can ride a merry go round at the end, there was a concert Sunday night it was a busy area. We did buy another 8 pack of soda at CVS to carry back on, it's cheaper than buying it in the terminal. And it's not really that far of a walk if you are concerned with distance, it is just on the other side of Señor Frogs.

We stayed off until around 530/600 you have to be back on board at 9 pm for the 930 pm muster drill. Dinner the first night is open seating and you can go anytime from 530 to 830. We ate and went up to Lido to wait for the always fun safety drill. Tip if you wait until the announcement and alarm sound you will not get stuck in the back up against the wall and unable to breathe. The drill seemed shorter than last year, almost as soon as it was over we were on our way.

y7evaham.jpg

Next stop St Thomas, USVI

Edited by BenjiRodney

For St. Thomas, we had no plans other than we wanted to go to Blackbeard's Castle. All of the taxi drivers told us it was closed, when I looked on line the website said it would reopen November 1st. Oh well, we just went downtown with the other masses. We had no shore excursions planned here, when we got off the taxi/bus a tour guide was offering an island tour at 12pm for 25 dollars, all we had to do was meet back there at 1145. We shopped, got a drink and snack and decided that we would do the tour, as we did not have to be back on the ship until 430 pm.

Glad we did this, we got to see the complete Island, two beaches and things we had not previously seen on other island tours of St Thomas.

8uduny7e.jpg

umavyvan.jpg

yru5a8y9.jpg

This guy wanted to eat too, I could not tell him no, they sold duck and fish food at the snack stand. This was at Sapphire Beach where we were able to get out and walk the beach and play for about 20 minutes.

y3u3e8ud.jpg

Edited by BenjiRodney

We saw some more of the Island and Marina's, as well as the Havensight neighborhood north? of where the ship docks and then made our way back to the ship. This was a great tour, I have his card at home and will look up his name when I get back there this evening.

enapaqud.jpg

jyqyvanu.jpg

e3aqany6.jpg

Tuesday is a day at sea and then Barbados on Wednesday.

Benji,

I'm doing this cruise in December and was wondering about Armas. Did you enjoy your stay? Positives, negatives? Good restaurants nearby? We're trying to decide between a $90 interior room or $160 king suite. Any advice here?

We will not stay here again, staff was ok, hotel is clean and comfortable, but the King room with a balcony we had reserved, they decided at check that two guys would be more comfortable in a room with two beds, so they moved us to another king room which they added a roll away bed. And when the description states windowless room, they mean no glass where the window should be. There was a shutter which you could see out of, and a heavy floor to ceiling curtain. You can hear everything from the outside. The air conditioner worked very well, we set it to 62 and it cooled down quickly.

For Dinner Saturday we went down to the Sheraton and ate dinner at The Chicago Burger Company. I had a Brunch Burger, angus burger with bacon cheese and fried egg.

Sunday we ate lunch/snacks at Barrachina's, the birthplace of the Piña Colada, drinks and food were excellent.

Welcome To Barbados, this used to be our least favorite stop on this itinerary, we hate the downtown area, it's too much like a major city. We booked a new excursion that Carnival was now offering, The Top 10 of Barbados. You get to see more of the island and have a few stops for pictures, drinks and samples of local food. Lisette, our tour guide was amazing, she knew her stuff, she moved to Barbados from France 40 years ago.

hugypyta.jpg

3e8egude.jpg

The Port is in a very industrial area, get outside of the city to see the countryside and amazing views.