PRIDE OF AMERICA - Extensive Review & Hundreds of Pictures!

eroller

Thank you, Ed, for the great POA review. It was very informative and comprehensive, and I felt it was unbiased from what I could read into it. The information is going to be very useful to us who are going on our first cruise ship. It's good to have a basis from which to start--for example, if we run into cabin-prep problems I'll know not to just wait a day or few hours to see if it's rectified, rather I'm more likely to contact someone right away. But also, if any problem is something that I'm equipped to handle, I'll just DO IT and not wait for the hours it might take to get a steward to do the work. That said, I've read about some great experiences people have had with their cabin stewards so I'll plan on having a good one!:) Actually I think the real secret to having a great experience is to plan on it. Norita and I see the glass as three-quarters full.

We'll be in 9552 on the August 27 sailing. Seeing the islands from the ocean will be exciting and interesting. We've been on all the islands (Niihau excepted, of course) and envied the cruise ships we've seen docked on Maui and Kauai. Next April, when we're in our two weeks of timeshare at Maui Sunset (Kihei--wonderful oceanfront two-bedroom condo) we'll watch for the NCL ships that come into Kahului harbor.

Jim & Norita Nickerson--Green Valley, AZ Currently 104 degrees But it's a dry heat!

Hi Ernie,

Thanks again for the great photos, and review, it will really help me. Just wondering if you could answer a couple of questions. Will the safe that's in the room fit a laptop easily? Are there ice machines where you can get your own ice instead of having the steward get it for you? Where do you go to make your dining reservations, do you go to each restaurant or is there a central reservation area.

Thank-you for all your help.

New cruise ship with troubled history sinks at German shipyard

From Professional Mariner #79

April/May 2004

The Dutch salvage company Smit is working to refloat the 72,000-gt cruise ship Pride of America, after the vessel sank at its dock at Lloyd Werft Bremerhaven GmbH shipyard in Germany on Jan. 14.

Lloyd Werft is completing the construction of Pride of America for Norwegian Cruise Line, which intends to operate the ship in the Hawaiian Islands. Originally the ship was to be built for American Classic Voyages, but after that U.S. company went bankrupt in 2001, NCL bought the partially built ship and had it towed across the Atlantic to the German yard in 2002.

Work on the ship was just a few months from completion when the sinking occurred. A gale caused water to leak into the engine room of Pride of America, according to Bremerhaven police reports quoted by the Reuters news agency.

At about 0300 on Jan. 14, Pride of America settled to the bottom, listing at 15º, with water in three of the ship’s 15 decks, according to NCL. A security guard realized there was a problem with the vessel and sounded the alarm, allowing 200 workers to leave the vessel without injury, according to Werner Lüken, managing director of Lloyd Werft.

++++++++++++++++++

just a little history

you can say you were on a ship that sank! :p

Ernie (and I'm sorry I mistakenly called you Ed before), do you know if the hotpots in the balcony staterooms are actually coffeemakers or do they just heat up water? I'd like to bring either ground coffee or maybe even my grinder and beans to make that first morning pot. If it's only a water heater and not a drip-type pot, I'll bring a filter holder to make the coffee--labor-intensive, I know, but it's worth it. I'd bring a french press but the glass might not make it, plus it's a REALLY messy routine in a small sink. Thanks.

It's amazing what the scent of fresh coffee can do. Years ago I was driving across the desert from Las Vegas to LA, and at a rest stop way out in the desert I used an elec outlet to grind coffee beans--then to heat water--and made coffee in my french press. The smell permeated the whole rest stop, and I drew people from all over wanting some! I could have made a mint there if I had come prepared.

Hi Go Huskies-

I was on the Pride of America w/ a balcony stateroom 9th floor aft. We had a standard hotel type coffee maker for 4 cups. The cabin steward replenished our supply daily with packets of Superior Coffee Royal Kona Blend decaf and regular.

travelling mom: There was no where that I am aware of where you could get your own ice, but the cabin has an ice bucket, which our room steward filled twice per day for us.

GoHuskies: The coffee makers were the drip-type, but for only 4 cups. (I only made coffee once since I was so close to the buffet where they had coffee 24/7.) I have to admit that the in-room coffee did taste better than the Costa Rican coffee that everyone raved about that was served everywhere on the ship. It was too bitter for my taste! I don't remember having to put in a filter though, so you may want to bring your own coffee and filters: no pot needed. If memory serves me correctly, the bags of coffee were that type that are already prepackaged inside a filter.

Ernie (and I'm sorry I mistakenly called you Ed before), do you know if the hotpots in the balcony staterooms are actually coffeemakers or do they just heat up water? I'd like to bring either ground coffee or maybe even my grinder and beans to make that first morning pot. If it's only a water heater and not a drip-type pot, I'll bring a filter holder to make the coffee--labor-intensive, I know, but it's worth it. I'd bring a french press but the glass might not make it, plus it's a REALLY messy routine in a small sink. Thanks.

Sorry ... I can't tell you for certain. I'm not a coffee drinking so I didn't take notice.

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Thanks again for the great photos, and review, it will really help me. Just wondering if you could answer a couple of questions. Will the safe that's in the room fit a laptop easily? Are there ice machines where you can get your own ice instead of having the steward get it for you? Where do you go to make your dining reservations, do you go to each restaurant or is there a central reservation area.

Thank-you for all your help.

Glad you enjoyed the photos. The safe is too small for a laptop. It's really only able to fit maybe a camera, wallet, rings, etc.

I did not see any ice machines. I think you have to call room service.

Dinner reservations can be made over the phone (by calling the various restaurants) or by stopping by the restaurant. Any restaurant can make reservations at any other restaurant. There is a central system that all restaurants have access to.

Hope that helps.

Ernie

You can make reservations for the entire week on the first day (I believe). Another place to make them (besides over the phone and at the restaurants) is at the information desk on Deck 5. They have an area on the right side of that counter.

One nice thing about making your reservations at the desk on deck 5 is having the opportunity to see the menus from the various resturants. That may be a good first stop when trying to decide where to eat. We enjoyed the different resturants, and found the filet mignon to be especially good. Several of us went back to the Lazy J again in order to get it twice. :D

Kristy :)

Some of us were even lucky enough to have some of our new friends treat us to that Filet Mignon for our birthday the second time! Thanks again Dave and Kristy!

I'm with you. That cruise on that ship with the CC group of people we had was so special. I doubt that we'll ever be able to have such a wonderful experience. I read someone's review on the Pride of America today, and I can't imagine that he was on the same cruise that we were! I tried to see if I could get group rates for July 8, 2006 by posting for interest on the boards, but no one seemed really interested. You have to have 8 cabins before you can ask CC to check for group rates, but it is SO expensive during summer that it is the only way I could really do it. A friend of mine is going on that date, and he has group rates from his TA, but they are no different than what NCL offers. I know CC could do better...but I can't ask unless enough people are interested! Ah well.....I've been shopping for all sorts of other cruises. No great deals so far. I've about given up on the POAm unless I get a last minute deal next summer. (I'll be keeping my eyes peeled!:eek: )

When is your spring break Kristy? Note below my little cheapie cruise I have planned...:D

Knowing Bob and Sandi made that picture of them waving the flags in Maui SO endearing. I wish we were onboard to see that!

Yes, there is a penalty for cancelling! I don't remember what it was...I think it was if less than 24 hours notice, you were charged something like $20, BUT DON'T HOLD M TO THAT! Maybe some of my fellow Cruisin' Eagles could help remember that.

Ernie, I always read your reviews, even if I'm not planning to go on that particular ship. You never disappoint! Thank you for taking your time to post such a wonderful review and all the pictures, I spent quite a bit of time reading and looking at this one. We have somewhat considered going on POA in the future, but we were waiting to see some pictures before deciding and you have made our decision easy for us.

Thanks also to BobnSandi, I have very much enjoyed their pics, too!

Ernie, I always read your reviews, even if I'm not planning to go on that particular ship. You never disappoint! Thank you for taking your time to post such a wonderful review and all the pictures, I spent quite a bit of time reading and looking at this one. We have somewhat considered going on POA in the future, but we were waiting to see some pictures before deciding and you have made our decision easy for us.

Thanks also to BobnSandi, I have very much enjoyed their pics, too!

Kathy,

I'm quite flattered. Thank you I'm glad you found the review and pics helpful.

Also, thanks to everyone for your kind comments. I write the reviews mainly because I enjoy writing, but also to help those who are considering a cruise. I try to be objective and write the good along with the bad. In the case of POA, I think the good far outweighed the bad and in no time I feel any service issues will be resolved.

Bon Voyage to all future POA cruisers!

Ernie

Archived