Key West Advice

NYCcruiser86

Hi All,

My bf and I are going to be in Key West for one day on our upcoming cruise. He's never been before and I've only been once probably 15 years ago with my parents (so that basically doesn't count either!) We're not going to do a tour and just thought we'd walk around ourselves and relax, maybe get a few drinks, maybe shop a little.

Given that we'll only be there during the day, can anybody recommend some bars that have a fun "daytime" scene or even just some places that are great to get a drink and relax? Similarly we're hoping that for shopping there are some cute local stores (no chain stores, Tommy, Coach, etc...) we could explore for swimwear or just a good browse.

Any and all comments welcome!

Thanks guys :D

The Bourbon Street Pub is good for an afternoon stop, there's a pool out back which is nice and they serve food.

The 801 Bourbon Bar is also open during the day to stop in and grab a beer and get out of the heat for a while.

I wouldn't expect much of a crowd at either place on a weekday, but there will be some people there.

I second the suggestion of Bourbon Street Pub.

You didn't mention which line, which controls where you dock. If it's at the "Outer Mole" that means the Navy base. You'll take a tram downtown to Mallory Square.

Walk down Whitehead and you'll find yourself passing The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum and some very pretty houses. Whitehead is US1, so you can get a must do photo in Key West with "Mile Marker 0." At the end of Whitehead is the "Southernmost Point" Another must do photo in Key West. After that, a quick jaunt down South St will put you on Duval.

Most of the kitchy gift shops have something I recommend any GLBT traveller look for. The "We're all created equal members of one human family" bumper sticker. It's kind of the unofficial motto of Key West. You'll also see it as a mosaic near Southernmost.

Bourbon Street is on Duval, and if memory serves, the back pool bar opens at 11. Be sure and go upstairs inside and out to the front balcony where you will see the shoe. There is a recreation of the shoe by the pool, but the original is on the front balcony.

I always hated that when I was there on Carnival, the ship leaves at like 230pm, so didn't get to enjoy the island nearly as much as I would have liked, but I will return on a regular vacation soon. :)

if you are just looking for cocktails and a nice atmosphere - get a day pass at the island house - great drinks, very good food -

then after, u can walk back to duval and so some shopping -

it gets away from the mayhem of all the cruise passengers - - -

enjoy - its a wonderful destination - - - -

I second the motion to check out Island House. Used to be that if you just want to eat at the restaurant, you don't have to buy a pass…that may have changed. But if you want to ahem…enjoy:roll eyes: more than just their restaurant, you will certainly need to buy a pass….but it gains you access to their pool, sauna, steam and …um…video room.

Another suggestion would be to check out Fast Buck's Home store….Fast Buck Freddy's used to be a department store on Duval but is now sadly closed. I understand however that there are lots of pretty trinkets at the Home store that us Homonomonos would like.

I would also HIGHLY recommend having lunch at El Siboney, the BEST cuban on the island. It's about 5 blocks off of Duval…but not a bad walk. You could do your shopping down Duval, stop for a morning drink at LaTeDa, turn right onto Catherine and go up to El Siboney, have lunch, then head back to Duval, and on your way back towards Bourbon Street, have an ice cream at Flamingo Crossing, the BEST ice cream in the south according to Southern Living mag and then go to Bourbon Street.

Have a great time, i miss my old home….

Thanks for all the suggestions! We're really excited to go. We'll definitely hit up the Bourbon Street Pub and love the idea of cuban for lunch. Now to just get through all this work beforehand.....:eek:

We're on Celebrity so I don't think we'll be at the Outer Mole pier.

Thanks again guys!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recommend checking into a bike rental for the day - a great way to see the island and explore, and quicker than walking. Many rental places will deliver your rental bikes right to the pier if you arrange a time and location in advance. If you have time, we love the BluQ gay catamaran which does "Sandbar Sunday" which I think is the day you are there. http://www.bluqkeywest.com. About 5 hours, check the weather.

Many places to go for lunch...if you want to check out the gay scene, I also recommend Island House for lunch. Food is not bad, better than you might expect for a gay guest house with a disco ball-accented pool. We are going on "Connie" the week before you, same itinerary, and plan on spending the day at Island House by the pool, as we have been to Key West many times. Enjoy!

My husband and I got off the ship first thing when we docked in the morning and walked the length of the main strip to the Southernmost Point, then we went and spent the remainder of the day eating, drinking, swimming, and lounging at Island House. It really was the perfect day (for us), but enjoy, no matter what you do! We're looking forward to a more extended visit to Key West in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam and in Key West for the day Sat, Jan 18. Bike rental to explore sounds good. Anyone know which gay guesthouses offer a day pass and which would be a fun diversion from the str8 cruise ship life that day? I see Island House mentioned but have never been there.

Years ago, mu husband and I were on a cruise with his twin brother, his mother and her (alzheimer's addled) twin sister. Our last port of call was Key West. After spending the better part of a week with them, before we docked, we told his brother, "Doug, you've got the girls today, we're hunting for bars with rainbow flags." Island House was recommended as a great way to readjust. We first walked Duval St, had a drink in some bar with a great outdoor patio in back and then stopped by Island House for lunch and drinks. It was a fabulous way to finish up the day - and the cruise.

Thanks Clay! We will check I.H. out for sure. Happy Cruising!

Gary

Enjoy!

If you decide to not do IH, the Bourbon Street Pub (in the pink triangle -700 block of Duval) has a pool and bar that you probably enjoy though the "diversions" will not be as available;)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't believe you need a day pass to go to the bar or restaurant at the Island House. I think for the price of the day pass you get a locker, which in theory would make the clothing optional activities available. Also, I seem to remember the garden bar at the Bourbon House opens earlier than 11. There is also another Cuban restaurant in KW that I think is good - Havana One. It is less crowded than El Siboney, includes an art gallery, and I feel less rush there.

Kip