St Martin on our own…jeep rental to ferry to pinel island.

mdxter

We will be visiting st martin on April 24 (5 other ships in port that day) from 8 – 4. We are contemplating renting a jeep and heading north (clockwise) to take a ferry over to Pinel island for several hours. Then back to the main island & head west over to Marigot to climb fort Louis, take in the view, and maybe a quick lunch down by the market. BTW is the fort too steep to climb for kids (8, 6, &4)? Then off to Maho before heading back to Philipsburgh. Is this doable or is it too ambitious??

early stages of planning of course.

We will be visiting st martin on April 24 (5 other ships in port that day) from 8 – 4. We are contemplating renting a jeep and heading north (clockwise) to take a ferry over to Pinel island for several hours. Then back to the main island & head west over to Marigot to climb fort Louis, take in the view, and maybe a quick lunch down by the market. BTW is the fort too steep to climb for kids (8, 6, &4)? Then off to Maho before heading back to Philipsburgh. Is this doable or is it too ambitious??

early stages of planning of course.

Check the ferry schedule. It doesnt start taking people over to Pinel to at least 9 and maybe even later than that. Parking nearest the last set of steps to the fort really makes this doable for a 4 yr old. To me it's too ambitious mostly because it gets you to the busy side of the island in the afternoon. With a 3 o'clock bridge opening and having to be onboard by 3:30 I would be leaving Maho by 2 at the latest. If you leave the Cul de Sac by 12 get to the fort by 12:30, visit the fort and drive down to town and park and find a place for a quick lunc it's 1:15. If lunch takes 30 minutes that's 1:45 already. You would be arriving at Maho around 2:30. That's even later than I would leave Maho with a 3:30 all aboard time.

I would suggest Marigot, Mullet Bay and Maho beach or Marigot, Maho and Simpson Bay or even Grand Case, Marigot and Maho.

Check the ferry schedule. It doesnt start taking people over to Pinel to at least 9 and maybe even later than that. Parking nearest the last set of steps to the fort really makes this doable for a 4 yr old. To me it's too ambitious mostly because it gets you to the busy side of the island in the afternoon. With a 3 o'clock bridge opening and having to be onboard by 3:30 I would be leaving Maho by 2 at the latest. If you leave the Cul de Sac by 12 get to the fort by 12:30, visit the fort and drive down to town and park and find a place for a quick lunc it's 1:15. If lunch takes 30 minutes that's 1:45 already. You would be arriving at Maho around 2:30. That's even later than I would leave Maho with a 3:30 all aboard time.

I would suggest Marigot, Mullet Bay and Maho beach or Marigot, Maho and Simpson Bay or even Grand Case, Marigot and Maho.

Thanks for the heads up with the ferry schedule. I may just skip the fort as it may be too strenuous for the kiddos. Probably lunch at the market then head over to maho beach. Thanks....

If you are making several stops, clockwise is the way to go. Getting from Marigot down to Maho and then to the port at the end of the day will put in the worst traffic jam south of I-95. The whole Simpsons Bay, Maho, Cole Bay side really gets jammed. Better to do Maho first, then Marigot (the fort would be a tough climb for short legs), possibly Grand Case for lunch, then across the north end to Orient Beach (if you're into crowded beaches with the chance for your kids to see some naked ladies), or - better for kids - Le Galion beach, or possibly Dawn Beach on the east side of the island (if a calm day), then an easy uncrowded drive back to the port.

There really isn't that much reason to invest the time in getting over to Pinel. It's sort of a desert with beaches - which aren't as good as Le Galion or Dawn.

If you are making several stops, clockwise is the way to go. Getting from Marigot down to Maho and then to the port at the end of the day will put in the worst traffic jam south of I-95. The whole Simpsons Bay, Maho, Cole Bay side really gets jammed. Better to do Maho first, then Marigot (the fort would be a tough climb for short legs), possibly Grand Case for lunch, then across the north end to Orient Beach (if you're into crowded beaches with the chance for your kids to see some naked ladies), or - better for kids - Le Galion beach, or possibly Dawn Beach on the east side of the island (if a calm day), then an easy uncrowded drive back to the port.

There really isn't that much reason to invest the time in getting over to Pinel. It's sort of a desert with beaches - which aren't as good as Le Galion or Dawn.

the last time we were in st martin, we took bernard tour and they were fantastic. The last time we took the clockwise tour seeing maho first. the problem with that was we did not get to see too many big planes. but to avoid traffic that maybe the way to go.

So you are saying that Pinel island is not that great? Good to know..we may have to reconsider alternate beaches instead of pinel. In order to avoid traffic, i may have to do the drive clockwise. thanks

i will have to wait til the kids are older to make that trek up fort louis.