Formal Night & Getting Dress Up ?

When we first started cruising, we did more on formal night...long sweeping gowns, wraps, hair done at the salon, men in tux or suit with vests, etc. It's not just luggage restrictions. We're now able to cruise in the Med, stay in Europe in different cities both pre and post cruise and have placed less priority on formal night. We still want to be able to enjoy formal night in the MDR so we par down our luggage by carrying dress slacks that can do double duty and a couple of sparkly tops that weigh nothing. We carry a suit, dress shirt, tie and shoes for the men. For the most part, the very formal gowns are worn by the young girls who have a prom dress they carry on the cruise and the much older women who really do feel that this is part of the cruise experience from days ago. I've stopped carrying the heels. I have a weak ankle and I'm not chancing it. The plus is that I can wear my dress flats on casual nights too. I decided long ago that I'm not there to impress or compete with anyone on the ship. If you aren't in shorts and flip flops or jeans, you are appropriately dressed in my book...but then, why should you care about what I think. It's your cruise.

DW and I enjoy the two formal nights. It is the only time that we get to wear our formal clothes.

I concur...those 2 nights take me back to when I first cruised and that feeling of aww when you first step on to your first ship. Its a cool feeling and getting snazzied up in a Tux (which I bought years ago solely to wear on our cruises) and having my DD wear a nice gown and my DS in a button-down and sport coat just scream cruise vacation. Makes a FANTASTIC family photo as well so thats why we still do it. I think it has to do alot with having pride in the way you look as well...thats why I still dress nicely to go to church even though the attire has become MUCH MUCH looser than when I was growing up.

what airlines do you fly that charges for the 1st checked bag per passenger?

We fly United... $25/per bag, per flight. So for us to cruise in December with our twins .. we will have 3 large checked bags for 4 of us... $150

Granted .. we have blown our wad on a Royal Suite and yes, I become very cranky when I think I have to plop down an additional $150 on top of our costly airfare for (4) to fly on United! Which will be packing conservatively because to add another bag would bring us up to $200!

My husband owns 2 tuxedos ..I have plenty gowns. We choose to wear appropriate clothing for formal nights that we can also wear to dinner the other nights. We just don't go over the top with salon appointments and clothing as we once did on a cruise. Our children will dress up, but certainly not "extreme formal dressing", they're young and we are on vacation. They can do that for Christmas....but again, totally our choice.

There are some who 'choose' to wear a tux ... and we may see some women in gowns...go for it! I don't think any less of you for it...

Edited by Pebbles468

When we first started cruising, we did more on formal night...long sweeping gowns, wraps, hair done at the salon, men in tux or suit with vests, etc. It's not just luggage restrictions. We're now able to cruise in the Med, stay in Europe in different cities both pre and post cruise and have placed less priority on formal night. We still want to be able to enjoy formal night in the MDR so we par down our luggage by carrying dress slacks that can do double duty and a couple of sparkly tops that weigh nothing. We carry a suit, dress shirt, tie and shoes for the men. For the most part, the very formal gowns are worn by the young girls who have a prom dress they carry on the cruise and the much older women who really do feel that this is part of the cruise experience from days ago. I've stopped carrying the heels. I have a weak ankle and I'm not chancing it. The plus is that I can wear my dress flats on casual nights too. I decided long ago that I'm not there to impress or compete with anyone on the ship. If you aren't in shorts and flip flops or jeans, you are appropriately dressed in my book...but then, why should you care about what I think. It's your cruise.

For the record, I don't care how someone else dresses BUT, for those who say dressing up on formal night is only a suggestion, you are interpreting things a bit off. It does not say nights x and x are suggested formal nights. It says x and x are formal nights and here's what is considered formal wear.;):)

For the record, I don't care how someone else dresses BUT, for those who say dressing up on formal night is only a suggestion, you are interpreting things a bit off. It does not say nights x and x are suggested formal nights. It says x and x are formal nights and here's what is considered formal wear.;):)

Taken from the RCCL Website .. "What to Pack" http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Pretty hard to misinterpret .. suggested guidelines.

Edited by Pebbles468

what airlines do you fly that charges for the 1st checked bag per passenger?

AA allows 1 checked bag no heavier the 50# per person, plus one carry-on per person and one 'personal' bag such as a huge purse or laptop bag per person to be carried on. which frankly they don't really enforce. between us we had 2 checked bags, one hard-sided carry-on which they went ahead and checked through (at no cost). I had my laptop and assorted electronic's and wife had a jumbo purse. I rented a tux (don't own one) so I didnt have to haul a suit, dress shirts, dress belt, dress shoes 10K+ plus miles for 3 formal nights. the tux fit perfect and I wore it twice. once with bow tie and once with vest and long tie. the wife's dresses together certainly weighted less then one pair of jeans.

Most airlines charge for the first checked bags including American. American allows you a free bag if you have a Citi/AAdvantage credit card.

From the Royal Caribbean website ( the bold emphasis is mine):

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Actually, it's not hard at all. Plenty of people demonstrate that they can't interpret the phrase. I think those who take it as "wear whatever you want" are clearly misinterpreting it. But those who take it as "wear this or eat elsewhere" are misinterpreting it, as well. It is a guideline of what they mean by "formal" (or casual or smart-casual).

For any occasion in life that has a "suggested attire", you are going to be dressed inappropriately, if you veer far from the suggestion. Doesn't mean that you're a bad person or that you'll be kicked out, but it does mean that you'll be dressed inappropriately. :cool:

Actually, it's not hard at all. Plenty of people demonstrate that they can't interpret the phrase. I think those who take it as "wear whatever you want" are clearly misinterpreting it. But those who take it as "wear this or eat elsewhere" are misinterpreting it, as well. It is a guideline of what they mean by "formal" (or casual or smart-casual).

For any occasion in life that has a "suggested attire", you are going to be dressed inappropriately, if you veer far from the suggestion. Doesn't mean that you're a bad person or that you'll be kicked out, but it does mean that you'll be dressed inappropriately. :cool:

This thread ends here for me.

Very well said.

So if someone veers off the 'suggested guidelines'... does it impact your dinner in the MDR?

What about those people whose luggage gets lost and perhaps doesn't make the ship... Should they be made to feel badly because the "proper cruiser" in his tux, thinks it's inappropriate in the MDR.

As someone on these boards said ... which I love .... Ship happens.

How someone chooses to dress doesn't impact my vacation nor does it alter my meal in the MDR. I get a chuckle out of those who push the envelope with the kilt or liederhosen, but again .. doesn't bother me.

If RCCL has issue with anyone in flip flops and a baseball hat, I'm sure they can address it with them personally ... but since they don't address those who are seat savers either by the pools or in the theatre -- I doubt they will do much.

So if someone veers off the 'suggested guidelines'... does it impact your dinner in the MDR?

What about those people whose luggage gets lost and perhaps doesn't make the ship... Should they be made to feel badly because the "proper cruiser" in his tux, thinks it's inappropriate in the MDR.

As someone on these boards said ... which I love .... Ship happens.

How someone chooses to dress doesn't impact my vacation nor does it alter my meal in the MDR. I get a chuckle out of those who push the envelope with the kilt or liederhosen, but again .. doesn't bother me.

If RCCL has issue with anyone in flip flops and a baseball hat, I'm sure they can address it with them personally ... but since they don't address those who are seat savers either by the pools or in the theatre -- I doubt they will do much.

Never suggested that it would affect my dinner nor that anyone should be made to feel badly. I only suggested that people on all points of the spectrum tend to interpret that "suggested guidelines" verbiage to suit their own opinions. And the truth is generally somewhere in the middle. It doesn't mean dress any way you want, but here's one possible idea, nor does it mean, dress exactly like this or else.

Edited by Paul65

Never suggested that it would affect my dinner nor that anyone should be made to feel badly. I only suggested that people on all points of the spectrum tend to interpret that "suggested guidelines" verbiage to suit their own opinions. And the truth is generally somewhere in the middle. It doesn't mean dress any way you want, but here's one possible idea, nor does it mean, dress exactly like this or else.

I completely agree with you on all points!

I'm just curious about getting opinions regarding dressing up on Formal Night. How many of you get dressed up because you enjoy doing so? How many of you get dressed up because you feel some kind of obligation to do so, but rather not? How many of you don't get dressed up for Formal Night? TYVM

I LOVE fashion, but I just dont like formal clothes. I do have some and I dressed up for the first formal night on our Oasis cruise. On the second I just didnt feel like it. I just enjoy wearing fashionable casual wear clothing, resort type. I avoided the MDR when I was not dressed up to avoid being stared at :eek:

Most airlines charge for the first checked bags including American. American allows you a free bag if you have a Citi/AAdvantage credit card.

straight from American Airlines website 2 minutes ago..

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp

Dimensions, Weight and Number of Bags

The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.

Carry-on roller board bags, duffle bags, large backpacks, or other personal items that don't fit in the overhead bins or under the seat must be checked at the gate and placed in the cargo compartment on American Eagle planes.

Attention First and Business Class Customers

We are pleased to offer customers in First and Business Class the ability to check three bags at no charge when traveling on American or connecting with British Airways or Iberia.

FLIGHTS WITHIN AND BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES, THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS, PUERTO RICO AND CANADA

Number of Bags Allowed*

One personal item: No charge

One bag carry-on: No charge

Checked bags. Charges may apply

Size and Weight Per Bag Allowed*

36 in/91 cm (total dimensions)

45 in/115 cm (carry-on) No larger than 22 in/56 cm long, 14 in/36 cm wide, and 9 in/23 cm high

62 in/158 cm (checked)

50 lbs/23 kgs (checked)

TRAVEL TO/THROUGH/FROM EUROPE

Number of Bags Allowed*

One bag checked: No charge

45 in/115 cm (carry-on) No larger than 22 in/56 cm long, 14 in/36 cm wide and 9 in/23 cm high

62 in/158 cm (checked)

50 lbs./23 kgs (checked)

Charges may apply for additional bags. Exceptions apply

Maximum number of 10 checked bags allowed per passenger.

View European Union rules on Restricted Items related to animal products.

TRAVEL TO/THROUGH/FROM JAPAN, CHINA OR SOUTH KOREA

Number of Bags Allowed*

Two bags checked. No charge

45 in/115 cm (carry-on) No larger than 22 in/56 cm long, 14 in/36 cm wide and 9 in/23 cm high

62 in/158 cm (checked)

50 lbs./23 kgs (checked)

Maximum number of 10 checked bags allowed per passenger.

TRAVEL TO/FROM MEXICO, THE CARIBBEAN, BERMUDA, THE BAHAMAS, CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA

See rules for Brazil, Chile and Peru.

Number of Bags Allowed*

One bag checked: No charge

62 in/158 cm (checked)

50 lbs./23 kgs (checked)

Maximum number of 5 checked bags allowed per passenger.

Note: There are year-round limitations on boxes and baggage when traveling to Bolivia and some cities in Brazil.

TRAVEL TO/FROM BRAZIL

I love formal nights, my husband, not so much. But he accommodates my whims and sports a suit and tie. I usually do a cocktail dress. I don't have much need for a long gown in my wardrobe. The only way I might have a gown for our next cruise is if someone could talk my DD into getting married. Anyone here have a magical gift of persuasion??:D Any magicians out there?

Taken from the RCCL Website .. "What to Pack" http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

From the Royal Caribbean website ( the bold emphasis is mine):

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Maybe you're missing my point. I'm not saying the guidelines for dressing are misinterpreted, I'm just saying that some say formal nights are just a suggestion, therefore they do not have to dress formally, when it's the type of clothes that is suggested.:)

straight from American Airlines website 2 minutes ago..

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp

FLIGHTS WITHIN AND BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES, THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS, PUERTO RICO AND CANADA

Checked bags. Charges may apply

Lots of superfluous information in your post, so I pared it down to just the important part. If you're flying domestically on American, it says "Charges may apply," and if you click on that for more details, it tells you $25 for the first checked bag, unless you fall under one of the exceptions (such as flying first/business class, being an elite frequent flyer, purchase using an AA-sponsored credit card, etc.).

No longer travel with any formal clothing. Nor do I feel obligated to dress formally just because I might offend the self appointed fashion police. After all RCCL's dress code is not mandatory contrary to what others might think. In fact it's only a "Suggested Guideline" and states so on RCCL's website. I wear basic black dress slacks and a nice black top on formal nights. Works just fine for me.

This is what I'm planning to do, or a dressy black dress. We'll be on a 10 night cruise, with 2 formal nights. DH will wear dress pants with a shirt and tie.

I think this is one of the best statements I've ever heard on this website....

Thanks for that. Now I know for sure that I'm in with the proper cruisers!!

Is there a forum for proper cruisers where we can share all the insider secrets??