Internet Connection on the Dawn

Rou-Dyliq

We will be taking our first cruise in December on the Dawn. My husband needs to stay in touch via email daily for business. He gets generally 150+ emails per day some with attachments. Is it realistic to expect to be able to that or is the connection archaic? He intends to use internet cafes near th ports on the days we can but he is concerned about the sea days.

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to posting on CC too! :)

I need to use the internet daily even while on vacation and we've been fine on all NCL ships. As previous poster said, there are peak hours but once you work around them, the connection works decently - it's nowhere near speeds currently available on land (think modem speeds in the late 90's) but is doable for email (and decent sized attachments).

The usage will be costly though, the package prices can be found from NCL's site: http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

We usually use at least one $100 package a week because our needs can't be handled offline like most email can be done, downloading the messages, disconnecting and then reading messages while offline.

Edited by Demonyte

Never have used the internet on the Dawn but my granddaughter and daughter did. They said that they thought the system was powered by mice on wheel it was so slow. Can't imagine how long it would take to check "up to 150 emails a day."

It would take less the 5 minutes. As posted there is not a long cable behind the ship delivering 20 MB speed to everyone. I sure your granddaughter never has had to deal with anything less. Yes it seems like mice when you try and use bandwidth hog apps but email is not like trying to stream a 250 MB video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Presumably he'll be working from the cabin and not the internet cafe onboard? Because it's open to the atrium below and quite loud if he's trying to concentrate. Entertaining if just doing personal email, but I'd find it disruptive if trying to work. Especially if Jose and Patti are playing and people take all the computer chairs away from the computers to watch the show. (The internet cafe manager does his best, but damn those people are rabid fans)

Yes, he intends to work from the cabin - the internet café would not be the optimal place for it I don't think. Like you mentioned, too much noise.

Thank you all for your replies, this eases his mind about the sea days. We have not taken a vacation at all for about five years and I so want it to go well so I don't have to wait another five years for the next one :D

Never had any problems with checking email on the NCL ships. The service is slow, though, and he may have to change his usage habits a a bit.

Since you're charged by the minute for every minute you stay connected, it's better to bring your own device, and use an email program that downloads the email to your device. Then you can sign off, compose replies, and sign on again to send them.

But maybe he'll get into the vacation spirit, and realize that some of the emails can wait...after all, that's what a vacation is for!

Edited by VideoTech