Sea-Tac airport ?

jsf

Is 11:30 AM to early to book a flight out of Seattle after a Alaska cruise? We have never done an Alaska cruise and are not familar with the airport and it's proxcimity to the docks.

Thank's

J.

Its do-able but a flight after 1:00PM would be better.

Without traffic or other delays, its about 40 minutes from the port to Sea-Tac by cab.

If you're off the ship with your luggage by 8AM, and its a weekend so traffic is light, you should make it to Sea-Tac by 9, plenty of time for an 11:30 flight.

If the ship is delayed, or you get stuck in traffic.....

Another option, if you don't have a lot of luggage, is to take a cab downtown and take the light rail to the airport. No traffic worries.

Is 11:30 AM to early to book a flight out of Seattle after a Alaska cruise? We have never done an Alaska cruise and are not familar with the airport and it's proxcimity to the docks.

Thank's

J.

We have come thru Seattle twice this year. Our flights left at 1150 and had no problem. You have to do the self disembarkation, which was easy in Seattle. We were off the ship by 0800. We prearranged a car service but there were plenty of taxis. Got to the airport by 0900 or 0915.

It's interesting that the Luggage Valet program for ships arriving in Seattle says "....flight must depart between 11:00 AM and 11:59 PM". Based on that as well as my own experience with disembarking in Seattle, I would say you will be fine with an 11:30 AM flight.

I live in Seattle. I would ask this question as you get closer to your travel next year. Next year, the Seattle Sea-Wall along the waterfront will undergo reconstruction (for a 3 year period). This is occurring at the same time as a deep tunnel is being built that will replace SR99/Viaduct, and parallels SR99. Depending on where your ship docks, the downtown travel could be more prolonged than those who have come through Seattle in the past. We have two major highways (I-5 and SR99/Viaduct). When the seawall is undergoing reconstruction, the downtown streets will be a mess and because it has not started, its not clear yet how much there will be an effect on I-5 or SR99 (which is the usual back way that goes to SEA). Normally, it takes about 28 minutes to go from the docks to SEA, longer if you do it in the PM rush hour. During the AM period, other than getting to downtown from Interbay, the trip from Downtown to SEA is a reverse commute. Cab fare would be about $40-50.

Another factor can be security lines & such at SeaTac. I try to be at the airport a good 2 hours before my flight since I always need to check luggage, and the security lines are sometimes terrible. Not always but I have seen it horrific enough times that I don't gamble.

Traffic on I-5 heading south can be brutal, especially on weekends. The airport shuttles & such will know quicker ways around it but all it takes is for someone to stall or have an accident & mess up the entire route.