Port Canaveral and visiting Sea World

CookieShip

Just trying to plan out our day in Port Canaveral on Thanksgiving. The ship is suppose to be in port from 7AM to 6PM.

I've booked a rental car with Budget and estimate about an hour drive to Sea World, but not sure if parking and walking to the park would add significant time to that. I'm mainly interested in what time I should leave the park by to get gas, return the rental car, and get back to the ship. I'm thinking maybe 3:30? Just some built in buffer in case there are issues or traffic?

I think we'll be able to get the shuttle on the way to pick up the car, but looks like they'll be closing earlier on account of it being Thanksgiving, so I'm doubting the shuttle will be available on the way back. Are there easy to hail taxis by Budget? Or should I reserve a taxi in advance? How long might that take?

Thanks for any advice.

you'll want to have a phone number or two handy for taxi.

888 taxi has the contract for the port 321 868 8888 (all other companies must pay a $5 per vehicle fee to drop off in the port . . . )

but as a back up

(321) 453-8294

(321) 890-9093

so far as fueling up, you'll come east on SR-528, pass the port and head a mile of so on 1A to the office. As you pass the port there is a 'RaceTrac' station on the right and I fuel there often . . . Budget is 1/2 mile farther down 1A

so far as time to leave and traffic . . . yes it is about an hour drive - pretty much a straight shot but one WARNING ...

there is SR528 between the port and Orlando and NO alternate that won't add over an hour to the drive. For about a 30 mile stretch of 528, once ON you can not get off or turn around. I've been stuck on 528, road blocked by an accident for well over an hour. It does not happen every day but it happens at least once a month....

Edited by Capt_BJ

Just trying to plan out our day in Port Canaveral on Thanksgiving. The ship is suppose to be in port from 7AM to 6PM.

I've booked a rental car with Budget and estimate about an hour drive to Sea World, but not sure if parking and walking to the park would add significant time to that. I'm mainly interested in what time I should leave the park by to get gas, return the rental car, and get back to the ship. I'm thinking maybe 3:30? Just some built in buffer in case there are issues or traffic?

I think we'll be able to get the shuttle on the way to pick up the car, but looks like they'll be closing earlier on account of it being Thanksgiving, so I'm doubting the shuttle will be available on the way back. Are there easy to hail taxis by Budget? Or should I reserve a taxi in advance? How long might that take?

Thanks for any advice.

Have you checked out what time Budget actually opens on Thanksgiving? I thought they don't open until 8am, maybe they open earlier if their is a ship in port but I would definitely check that out because by the time you get a shuttle to Budget and rent, you won't be on the road until after 8:30 if they open at 8am.

Seaworld opens at 9am but cars line up to get in the parking lot before that. Thanksgiving Day is going to be very busy in the park since so many people are off so trying to get into shows will be tough. Might be worth paying to get reserved seating. Check out the show schedule online to see if you are going to be able to see many of the shows. Paying the extra cost will likely be the only way you will see 2 or 3 shows.

Make sure you budget time to walk through the park and to your car. Trying to get through the crowds after a show is tough. I would want to be in my rental car by 3 at the latest.

I would really look into the open times and schedules before I spent big money on a short time in a park on a holiday. Not trying to be a downer but I, personally, wouldn't spend that much money for so little time in Seaworld. We usually do 2 days to be able to see all the shows and ride all the rides. If this is a must do for your trip, prioritize what the top thing you and your party want to do and go with a plan.

Good luck.