Galveston Fog?

Nightlockkk

Hello everyone!

So, I am heading out on a Carnival cruise from Galveston at the end of December. I've sailed from Galveston before but never during the winter season. I've been reading some things as well as searching forums but I thought I'd try to address the situation head on, so here's my thread! :)

Has anyone sailed from Galveston during the winter months before, and how bad was your fog delay and should I just expect it going into it? Just want to know what to expect so I can warn the other girls in my trip and keep them calm as they are newish cruisers. :) Thanks for your time !

You should expect nothing and you should expect everthing. Sometimes the fog delays but sometimes not.

Keep an eye on weather reports, or the Galveston web cams. If there is no fog then there is no worry. If you see fog then you know there might be some delays.

It's really kind of hit or miss. Sometimes you'll hear of fog on three or four consecutive sailings, then other times it will be the same number of sailings without.

Best advice I've seen is to schedule your flight home late if you plan to fly out the day you disembark. Better to have to kill a couple of hours in the airport than miss your flight.

I agree with scheduling a late flight out if you plan to fly out the day you disembark. Fog along the Gulf Coast is really hit or miss and sometimes can't be forecast in advance. Even if it is in the forecast it may or may not be foggy enough in that area to keep the ship from coming into port. Last week the port was closed and the ships came in very late in the morning.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I probably should have mentioned that while I live in Orlando I lived in Houston for 23 years and that's where my parents still live and I'll be home for the holidays.. so no flight for me near that time thankfully! I'm just such a control freak that when I heard of this fog I got nervous! :)

Thanks though! :D

We were on the Triumph last week and were delayed about 5-6 hours because of heavy fog. We were driving so flights were not an issue. Just getting home late. We were on the same cruise last year and no problem. The crew was really good about putting together activities and keeping everyone entertained and Jen was great about keeping us informed.

We were on the Triumph last week and were delayed about 5-6 hours because of heavy fog. We were driving so flights were not an issue. Just getting home late. We were on the same cruise last year and no problem. The crew was really good about putting together activities and keeping everyone entertained and Jen was great about keeping us informed.

Thanks, Spenc! Every bit of information helps to ease my over worrying mind.I'm glad to know this is a hit or miss situation. I hope you enjoyed your recent cruise (Minus the small delay haha)

Go to Galveston dot com....in search area, type in web cam....scroll to one of several cruise ship cams...you will see the ships tied up. If not, you will see FOG. Both Carnival and Royal will arrive around 5a to 6am on Sunday morning.

If you are on Triumph, check their departure days.

Go to Galveston dot com....in search area, type in web cam....scroll to one of several cruise ship cams...you will see the ships tied up. If not, you will see FOG. Both Carnival and Royal will arrive around 5a to 6am on Sunday morning.

If you are on Triumph, check their departure days.

Thanks, I will! :)

My own suggestion would be that if you are flying out after the cruise, plan on self-assist debarkation. We were delayed returning due to fog on our Conquest 2010 cruise - didn't dock until after 12:30. We had booked the latest possible flight to get us back to Albany (3:20), but since we had regular debarkation there was no way we could collect our luggage and get back to Hobby in time for our flight. It wasn't a disaster for us - we were able to change flights to the next day with no problem - but we probably would have preferred not to have an extra day at an airport hotel.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I probably should have mentioned that while I live in Orlando I lived in Houston for 23 years and that's where my parents still live and I'll be home for the holidays.. so no flight for me near that time thankfully! I'm just such a control freak that when I heard of this fog I got nervous! :)

Thanks though! :D

Here is the link to the Galveston webcam. I would take a look at it when you get up that morning. Last week when it was so foggy you couldn't see anything on the webcam. Carnival should put information on their website if there is a delay.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/portcams/us/galveston.php

As others have said, hit or miss. We have cruised out of Galveston in Dec & Jan 3 times. Very first time we were delayed boarding by about 6 hours. We walked around a little while & then waited in line.

This was before YTD, that night everyone had open seating in their assigned dining room. We sailed away while we were eating. Muster Drill was held the next morning.